Lost And Gone Forever review by Guster

• Released: Sep 28, 1999
Guster: Lost And Gone Forever

Guster has a sound that at first seems like it has too many things going on at once, but you soon realize that there really isn't much at all. The three-man band sounds great together with all of the instruments falling into place at the right time. There aren't many extra track in the songs for emphasis. They keep this CD pure and simple with every instrument supporting the others all of the way through the entire album. Though the guitar is fairly simple, it keeps the rhythm and the progressions were catchy, especially on "Barrel Of A Gun." It keeps it smooth and stylish throughout the CD.

The lyrics are especially important in these songs. Some bands can get by without fantastic lyrics, but Lost and Gone Forever has very catchy lyrics throughout the entire disc. "Center of Attention" is dripping with ironic, self-centered humor and sticks in your head all day, but in a good way with Adam Gardner's alto-pitched voice ringing in your head. "What You Wish For" has a meaning that seems so accurate and well thought out, that you don't really need the music, though it matches it very well. However, the general impression of the lyrics remains the same through every song, so it can be monotonous at times.

The album as a whole is good. Not the greatest, but still very good. The second best out of the other albums they have put out. The best songs on the album would have to be "Barrel Of A Gun", "Fa Fa", "Center Of Attention", and "Happier." Though Guster would really only appeal to those who enjoy mellow rock, it is great for relaxing after a hard day. The music can get repetitive, and the guitar isn't quite up to par, it all melds well together and will keep you listening for a while. If it does get lost, decide whether your music tastes will change or not. If not, get it again. If so, you might want to just kiss it goodbye.

cpick2014
    this is actually one of my favorite albums ever and my favorite one from guster. ive seen them 3 times in concert so far (and will see them again in a few months) and lost and gone forever supplies some of the greatest in-concert songs that they have. i think it deserves a high 8 or low 9
    Shlecht
    guster is an extremely talented band. this is the only cd i have by them (so yes ive downloaded many songs) and its easily one of my most cherished albums. i recommend anyone to listen to guster. theyre very mellow and relaxing, not to mention catchy as well.
    mental_zer0
    I have seen them in concert (Clowes Memorial Hall at Butler U) and they were very good, but the cd just didn't click for me.
    [NIN]_ROCK!
    They're probably the best soft-rock band I know. THis album is pretty awesome and my favorite song is "So Long" (they usually don't play it live, but when they do it sounds even better than on the album). If you like acoustic/adult pop/soft-rock music you should definitely get this one and Keep It Together. Rock On!!!!