Bloody Pit Of Horror review by GWAR

• Released: Nov 9, 2010
GWAR: Bloody Pit Of Horror

Yeeeah, GWAR. If you don't know them, then where the hell have you been living? A stage presence of questionable magnitude but a band of great drinking tunes and old-school headbanging, none come close to the unsubtle beast that is GWAR in terms of, er, magnificent legacy... anyway. Keeping to their heavy thrash sound which has never really faded from our memories, this time around they've decided to jump on the 8 string band wagon. Tuning to the mighty F# sharp (possibly), its immediately obvious from the first song 'Zombies, March!' that it sounds different. Obviously whoever said 7-8 string guitars are for technical players was BS-ing because this new step is only adding to the core of their sound. Surprisingly for first time listeners, its tight and well performed and the riffs and harmonies are somewhat old-school sounding yet also somewhat fresh. But what's really awesome is the old school style production as well, definitely has that 80's underground basement sound. Obviously nothing very major has changed, but its sounding better than Lust In Space, thats for sure.

Oh, Oderus you red-faced maneater man, you. GWAR are master comedians (well, on some planets, maybe not on earth) and hilarity ensues whenever Oderus opens his mouth. Safe to say, his recognisable raspy power metal voice is potent and ready to ravage the worlds of a hundred slave women (or something along those lines) and the lyrics suggest well.. this time around, its got more of a horror theme, in this case ZOMBEHS. Suitably hilarious phrasing mixed with high octane thrash? Yes, and a side helping of kickass backups.

Often called a comedy band, which is obvious, GWAR are still fantastic musicians and great entertainers so dismissing them in either aspect is downright silly. High speed riffs, solo's, hilarious vocals and lyrics all topped off with great costumes is a warriors call to the metalheads happy hour. Not for the weak or for people without a sense of humour. Songs to look out for: All of them, but 'Tick-tits' and 'Stripper Christmas Summer Weekend' are my two highest recommendations.

henkka_potku
    ImagineTheThorn wrote: Love their music, but Lordis costumes are better.
    Lordi... our national pride. Haha, everyone's forgotten them.
    Im_Broken
    ImagineTheThorn wrote: Love their music, but Lordis costumes are better.
    nah lordi are just a baby GWAR
    ZOSO <(")
    idk if there 100% serious but zombies march! was one of the most amazing metal songs ever made!
    davisgwar
    Lordi is not even on the same level as Gwar. Never will be. The stage show, costumes (which they make themselves including the story line etc) are amazing. Most of the money they get goes back into the show. But behind all of that is a tight, talented band. They've been going for 25+ years. They manage to stay fresh and I'm proud of the 100+ shows I've seen. No metal band can compare to Gwar. I find it funny however that Lamb of God opened for Gwar. They (and other metal acts) owe a lot of their success to Gwar.
    RATMRUSH
    MonsterOfRock wrote: The most difficult band to ever take seriously.
    I have to agree on that.
    mac_james
    I just saw them in concert two days ago and I still have bruises and a small laceration I cant explain!! Got covered in blood and had a bad ass time!! 25 years and still killing IT!!
    Deathmethod
    betrayedloyalty wrote: make sure you wear a shirt you dont care for too much hahah. by the end of the night youll look like you spent the day slaughtering people
    I went to the Salvation Army just for that reason.
    betrayedloyalty
    im not mental
    Deathmethod wrote: Never been the biggest fan of their music, but I'm pretty excited to see them this Friday. I hear their shows are some of the craziest you can go to. Sounds like a solid 8 to me.
    i saw them for the third time last friday. their shows are really fun
    Killbait06
    OHH yeah dude, i saw them last october, they opened for Lamb of God, and yeah they throw a show you will never EVER forget.
    DemonicTurtle66
    Somehow I have seen them around a lot, but I have never even checkout out their music. I'll have to give their new album a listen.
    Deathmethod