The Life I Know review by Gwen Stacy

• Released: Feb 5, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Gwen Stacy: The Life I Know

Gwen Stacy is a Christian metal-core band from Indianapolis and formed in 2004. Gwen Stacy falls heavily on the hardcore side of the metal-core spectrum but still brings catchy melodies that you'll find yourself singing along with. The Life I Know was released on February 5th 2008 through Ferret Records. At first listen this band passed me by like many others in the genre but something about them stayed with me until i rediscovered them and realized their actually quite bearable.

In the typical hardcore fashion the lyrics tend to revolve around family, friends, honor, unity, and strength but more times than none they do tend to change from that mold and break away into some quite powerful lines. The screamer doesn't change up his style too often and mostly sticks to the hardcore-oriented screams. The clean singer/bassist has a great clean voice and meshes surprisingly well with the lead vocalist.

This album can tend to be quite boring at times and quite attention grabbing at other times but after all is said and done it stands to be a quite decent album. Some Highlight tracks off the album are...The Fear In Your Eyes, Gone Fishing. See You In A Year, The Path To Certainty, If We Live Right We Can't Die Wrong, and Sleeping In The Train Yard. My favorite things about The Life I Know is the transitions into the clean vocals, The aggressiveness of the lead vocalist, the drummers intensity and playing style, and the bands overall message. Track Listing: 01. The Path to Certainty - 3:01 02. I Was Born With Two First Names - 4:00 03. Challenger Pt. 2 - 3:22 04. If We Live Right, We Can't Die Wrong - 4:13 05. What Will Happen If I Hit Enter - 3:25 06. The Fear In Your Eyes - 3:34 07. Playing God Is Playing For Keeps - 2:58 08. Falling From the Fence - 3:18 09. Sleeping In the Train Yard - 7:17 10. Gone Fishing. See You In a Year - 4:48 11. Paved Gold With Good Intentions - 2:53 12. I'll Splatter You Like Jackson Pollock - 3:39 13. [Bonus Track] My Friends Over You (Cover) - 3:48