Population: Declining Review

artist: Hail The Villain date: 08/02/2012 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Hail The Villain: Population: Declining
Released: Jun 8, 2010
Genre: Hard Rock, Alternative Metal
Label: Roadrunner, Warner
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Population: Declining Reviewed by: vppark2, on august 02, 2012

Sound: The debut album from alternative metal band Hail The Villain definitely holds some acceptable material to rock your head to. Bryan Crouch's vocals are pretty impressive, but different. At times, I feel like he has a very powerful voice that is only meant for yelling. Drumming, guitar riffs, etc. Are all well done. // 9

Lyrics: In the song, "Runaway", lyrics are as is, "Welcome to the end Of everything that haunts me. Somehow I pretend All was meant to be. I am not the saint here. Never the good son. Hell has taken over and I know. When I say 'Go', runaway, runaway. Where do I belong? So sick of being shadows. Scared to walk alone. Now it's time to roam. I have always wanted All that I could own. My wish was never granted till now." Judging from what these lines say, it sounds to me like Bryan had gotten to a turning point in his life. Moving out of his home or whatever, losing everything that had haunted him. Probably wasn't looked at as a good child by his parents. Then he states how hell has taken over, so maybe his life after that still was a struggle, as hoe's running away from it all, not knowing where to go. A good metaphor is stated as well. He is practically a shadow, not getting noticed, and is alone. In "16 Cradles", "Did not have a chance, fell into line. I'll rot down here for the meantime. Without a voice I'll never change. I slide back down this slope again. The second I began to see. I had my eyes ripped out and fed to me. Without a choice I'll never change. I slide back down this slope again." Pretty much all of the lyrics on this album tell a story about Bryan's life, mostly of how he has gone through tough times, and is nothing. Very clever, and good song writing for this album. I am quite amazed by the effort. // 10

Overall Impression: I honestly have never heard of any alternative metal band going this heavy. I mean Bryan's strength in his voice goes so well with these lyrics. I would like to hear some singing more, but it is what it is I guess. Also knowing the fact that this is their debut album, and I found out that Bryan has quit the band (I don't know why). So all I can say now is good luck to the band finding a new vocalist, and hopefully they will get somewhere. // 9

Comments