Halestorm review by Halestorm

• Released: Apr 28, 2009
Halestorm: Halestorm

Simply put, this album is amazing! Hard rock done right, with a fantastic woman fronting the band. It's that simple, Halestorm is a Hard Rock band. Nothing more, nothing less. The range in the sound is outstanding too, because we all know that Hard Rock cannot remain "hard" the whole album long. A beautiful mixture of sheer rock and wonderful rock ballads hold this album together amazingly well. By listening to this album, you can see the obvious retro influences. Despite that, Halestorm still manages to crank out original melodic lines with songs like I'm Not An Angel and "It's Not You". This is an album that has something for EVERYBODY.

Although many catchy lines are heard, and their first single "I Get Off" has a very... memorable... chorus, the lyrics leave something to be desired. The mixture of both rock influenced and mainstream radio-friendly lyrics really confuses me. Might just be me here, but the lyrics get really bland when you really listen to some songs. This being Halestorm's first major release, you must have some faith that things will get better, but for now, I'm afraid they really don't cut it for me. Decent, but not what you'd expect.

I'm in love with this album. Albeit the lyrics were a bit sour, the music was outstanding. I have absolute faith in Halestorm. Lzzy has a ridiculously amazing range in her voice, and as far as I hear, the whole band plays really well together. The debut single "I Get Off" is certainly a fantastic song with horrible lyrics. The band should sway away from the sex references, because they just don't fit at all. "Dirty Work" and "I'm Not An Angel" seem to be the hidden gems for me. They really show the potential for successful singles. Although the lyrics were rated low, this album gets an 8. The band has so much raw talent and potential that you can't help but look past that flaw, no matter how big it might be. If someone stole the album, I'd buy it again because I'm sure Halestorm has the potential to be something HUGE in the future.

Zakkcd
    Pwnage Engage
    Zakkcd wrote: Do it due. It really is and awesome record, and Lizzy has an amazing voice. Think of a cross between Joan Jett and Amy Lee. Then she plays guitar. Good God!
    Yeah dude thats true! if joan jett fuzed DNA with Amy Lee it would totally be Lzzy! Anyway, she has an amazing voice. i love her voice, but im gonna agree with the review, that her lyrics could use a bit of maturity, although the song "I Get Off" is not about sex, but about playing shows. I think some deeper lyrics would totally fit this bands style!
    guitarsftw
    i saw these guys live. the lead singer was quite a good singer and had great stage presence, but everyone else just stood there, even if their playing was really tight.
    whaip
    TheBurningFish wrote: Their name's very similair to Alestorm. But whatever, I might check them out.
    That's the reason I clicked on this thing.... but: Ale > Hale
    ExurKun
    DrButterfunk
    ExurKun wrote: Very good band with a lot of potential and a great live show, but threw it all away by overproducing this CD and getting rid of all that made them special
    Totally agree. Saw them live and got the CD, but was pretty disappointed. Their live show is much better than the CD.