Halford IV - Made Of Metal review by Halford

• Released: Sep 27, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Halford: Halford IV - Made Of Metal

Halford, of all people, deserves an introduction a mile long. However, in a world of metal, it isn't needed. And if it's needed for you, don't bother listening. With his fame of name rising with Judas Priest, Halford has been a leading icon in metal for years. Aside from some mythologist results, a search for the god of metal will most likely result in Rob Halford himself. In recent years Halford has taken on a few side projects, one of which including the self-titled band Halford. Consisting of a vocal phenomenon, a solidified metal drummer and expert musicians in the field of metal strings, Halford has been serving the music industry with songs made of, well, metal. While not many people even know of it, Halford has released it's fourth studio album. The recent release is on his record label Metal Gods, and Halford IV - Made of Metal is another solid distribution of metal music. Rob Halford worked on this album with Roy Z, an experience songwriter, musician and producer, who has worked with Bruce Dickenson and Judas Priest in the past. The screaming vocals of Rob Halford, the ripping guitars, the triumphant rhythms and stadium shaking drums are all there. Halford fans, Priest fans, metal fans - rejoice. Halford is back, and from anyone who enjoyed his music with Judas Priest to his latest side project works or just metal in general, this is an album you'll enjoy. With Bobby Jarzombek on the drums, there's no lack of unison with guitar and rhythm. Polish guitarist Mike Chlasciak does an incredible job of creating the metal sound any one would expect to be there, with no lack of blazing solos that would make someone want to pick up a guitar. I'd say bang your head, but it's a pretty safe bet most of his fans are a bit older by now, so a fist pump will be accepted. All the songs are a decent serving of metal, and while some would say it's quite bland, there's those who will love to hear what Halford recently has to offer. If you're one of them, don't hesitate to get the album.

The fact of reviewing the singing skills of Halford is almost laughable. Having his own vocal powers sought after by many, and never quite mimicked perfectly, his vocal skills might just be one of the reasons he is called a god of metal. However, with this particular album, some may have to admit the question of whether Halford is actually losing his energy. One might think that the once piercing vocals of Halford are coming to an end with a lot of the tracks not reaching that extraordinary volume he once had. For much of the album, I personally felt he didn't do justice to himself. On first listen, some of the lyrics can cause a sudden thought of Halford losing ideas of what to sing about. I wasn't sure if the first track was serious, as it contained a chorus that goes He's the undisputed heavy weight champion of the world. It was however, a catchy song. It also seemed that Halford decided to take a comparative path with songs like Thunder and Lightning and Fire and Ice. Looking at the rest of the titles, it can be easily said that they are all pretty traditional. At the end of it all however, I'd hardly dismiss any of the songs to be short of what any true Halford fan would want to hear. There were two tracks on the album that really jumped out to me. The first one was the sixth track Til The Day I Die. Relinquishing the traditional metal sound for a while, with this track Halford took a path not heard often for his type of music. The song resembles and old time alternative blues rock vibe, complete with spoken word and slide guitar. It was an incredibly enjoyable song, and I felt like it actually fit perfectly. The other song that made me restore my faith in Halford was the ending track titled The Mower. This song starts with a depressing bit of spoken words, leading to a deafening bass drum guitar combo that couldn't help but make me smile. Kicking straight into the first verse, Halford starts piercing through the air with the voice I had been waiting to hear the whole album. It was an absolute pleasure to be heard. The song, in the best description available to me, is beautifully metal. The album also contains some very catchy tunes, with some bringing back memories of old Priest albums, and actually some of a traditional Maiden piece. Heartless, Thunder and Lightning, Made of Metal, Twenty-Five Years and Fire and Ice are the songs most probable to be listeners high points of the album.

Halford IV - Made of Metal is an album that I had been waiting to hear since I found out about it months ago. Being a Judas Priest fan since early childhood, and a fan of all types of metal, Rob Halford has not always just been a personal vocal hero, but a certain love for music he is involved in also retains a certain bond with me. I've always enjoyed his work, not only because of his vocals, but his choice of musicians to play with. Halford is the next best thing to Judas Priest for this type of music. In relation to older Halford albums, I enjoy this one the most, with Resurrection in a close second. This is a CD I went to the store to buy the day it came out. It's a great add to a metal collection, and will remain being played for years to come.

Skuzzmo
    Good review....I'm a big Priest and Halford fan so I will be getting this ASAP
    seemeel
    That would be Bruce Dicki nson... But yes, good review. This is rare on UG!
    Vialli
    Good review. Despite being an obvious fan you have kept the review objective. Very rare on UG. And I didn't know this album existed - I thought Rob re-joining Priest would signal the end for Halford the band - so that's a bonus!
    Gary.Blizzard
    I had no idea this album was coming out until a few months before it came out, there wasn't much news coverage. You'd think something from him would have more hype. As for Halford the band ending, I thought the same thing until I heard about this. Now they've got a new album and are touring with Ozzy this winter (hoping to see that). And for the 'Dickenson' catch, I wish you'd have not notified me, for I would have not noticed. I've corrected someone on that before, and making that mistake now it ruins the whole thing for me Also thanks for the positive feedback. I'm new to reviewing.
    BaptizedinFire
    I don't have the highest expectations for this album. I don't think he can top Ressurection and the awesome Crucible with songs like The Mower and the title track (which are the ones I've heard)
    SatanicSunburst
    Very good review .. I buy this Album on 30th September 2 days after my Birthday and i still love it and i here it very often meanwhile and yes its a very good Album and review but with a sense of humor please.. i have this Year my 25th jubilee in my Job, im one of so many undisputed heavyweight campions of the World(a Busdriver),i have a Super Sonic Silver Flying Machine, my Silver Honda Jazz..and i can let Fly...with my Flyrod in the hand! And i here some Riffs from a german Band in the 80-tis from Running Wild,from the Album Gates to Purgatory, in The Song Fire and Ice and Heartless, i think i here the first riffs from the Songs Victim of States Power and Prowling Werewolf... Im very Sorry if i do a mistake if im wrote that i think. I love Robs Voice he has make a very good work with this Album. Im too a very great Fan From Judas priest and Rob Halford. But please its my first comment and if my "English" is not the best im sorry but i live in Germany...OK And last but not least.. Metal is Hell or?
    Randomrings
    I'm probably going to pass on this, other than the fact that I have no money for it anyways. But dude... Roy Z kills me, I loved his work with Bruce Dickinson I really don't like recent Halford very much at all, but the fact that Roy Z is on here interests me... no matter how weird that is
    seemeel
    jetfuel495 wrote: Best album cover ever.
    I hope that's meant to be a joke.
    Amuro Jay
    seemeel wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: Best album cover ever. I hope that's meant to be a joke.
    Somewhat, yeah. Gotta give Halford props for choosing something that isn't typical metal cheese though. He opted for a more general cheese instead.
    seemeel
    Personally I think it's a pretty lame cover, but that's just me. I guess Rob Halford liked it, and at the end of the day, it's his record so it's his choice. Is Storm Thorgerson still making album covers these days? His are about the best covers ever, I think.
    maleathe
    I'm a long-time fan of Judas Priest, and I enjoyed some of Halford's earlier solo material. That being said, I attempted to listen to "Made of Metal" today, and ended up turning it off after three songs. The lyrics are incredibly lame (especially the first song); not really a surprise here, but the lyric's are on par with "Grinder". The music follows the Halford's standard metal formula... palm-muted A5 chords, flashy guitar solo's, double bass drums, and Halford singing/growling over all of it. Nothing new or exciting, and nothing... heard it all before a million times. I must be getting old..
    maleathe
    not his greatest work. Typical metal fare.. not bad, but not fresh, inspired, or memorable. Lyrics are pretty lame, even by Priest/Halford standards. I couldn't really get into the music.
    judithtaylor196
    A lot of Halford fans did not like this album. I loved it. A very persoanl album for Rob and quite different from anytihng he has done in the past.I have been a fan of Judas priest for 40 years, since age 12 and I admire Rob for exploring a different side of himself. I enjoyed all but undisputed. I just don't like it, but overall I really enjoyed the CD. I love Rob's vocals, his screams, but it is nice to just hear him sing in a voice not screaming. So kudos Mr. Halford on doing an albumthat you wanted to make and rest assured not all of your fans, myself for one, disliked it.