Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken Review

HammerFall: Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken
Released: Mar 4, 2005
Genre: Power Metal / Heavy Metal
Label: Nuclear Blast
The music of Hammerfall is not like other songs, but it is different and characteristic, not dull and boring like other metal bands.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 7.7
 8.4
Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken Reviewed by: Sickz, on march 17, 2010

Sound: My first impression of Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken is that is opens up in my opinion like their second album Renegade. First songs from both albums starts slowly and building up the tension. The diffrence is that Chapter V:s first song later bursts out to a fast tempo. Then to the mixing. The sound overall of this album got a nice touch to it. I don't know how to describe it other than it got a very powerful feel to it. The style they have put into this record is more of harmonizing the riffs instead of previous record ( Crimson thunder ) makeing the guitars play exactly the same thing.In my opinion, a good change! // 6

Lyrics: Lyricswise this album have both power and softness. Good examples of this is the songs "Blood bound" and "Never, Ever". Blood bound is showing the power in Joacim cans voice, the high notes, the good use of vibrato and low(er)notes aswell! Then the example never, ever shows the softness. You can just hear the emotion he sings with in this song! // 7

Overall Impression: Compareing to other albums of Hammerfall I have to say this is my personal favorite. It got a nice feeling to it.Most impressive songs from the album certainly have to be Blood bound, Hammer of Justice and Born to rule. Songs that did let me down was Imperial. They shouldent have made it a instrumental since I got the feeling anytime he could start to sing. What I love about the album is the mixing and way they did make the songs on the album, what I didn't like was that some songs did sound very alike. Like the intro to "take the black" and "Fury of the wild". If this album got stolen I would buy it again, but I wouldent hurry. // 7

Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken Reviewed by: ElStHf, on july 23, 2009

Sound: The music of Hammerfall is always great. Oscar Dronjaks music writing skills are excellent. Hammerfalls music is based on power metal (rarely in psyhedelic metal). This album follows this rule. Of course, the music of Hammerfall is not like other songs, but it is different and characteristic, not dull and boring like other metal bands. For one more time, with this album, the Hammerfall improve that, and they show us that they never run out of ideas for new songs and new amazing music. All the songs have got excellent music, carefully written, based on Hammerfalls rules! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Hammerfall are usually speaking for war, battles, power, revolution and things like that. But on this album, many things are changing: As you might know, the Hammerfall in a period that start from 1993 had some bad comments. When formed their band, in 90s, metal was actually dead and you could play only grunge, however, Hammerfall decided to become rebels and play heavy metal! That thing cause many negative comments. After that, in 2000, the video for the song Renegade went better than the videos of pop singers. So, pop fans started telling bad things for Hammerfall. They said that Hammerfall had formed the band only for money! That is crazy and lie, becauce why to play metal when all the others play grunge? So, this CD is an answer to all those people that had made bad comments for Hammerfall. Hammerfall want to show that whatever people say, they will keep on playing metal. They lyrics(written by Cans) have got a deeper meaning: They are UNBENT, UNBOWED, UNBROKEN! Of course, the lyrics follow the meaning of the lyrics. Oscar and Joasim make always good work together! The skills of the singer, Joasim Cans, are unbelievable. Like always, Joasim, has the perfect voice for this group! // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressice songs of this album are: 01.Secrets: great song with amazing solos. 02.Blood Bound: nice music in general,nice intro. 03.The Fury Of The Wild: great sample of power metal 05.Never,Ever: excellent music,perfect voice 06.Born To Rule: the compliance of the lyrics with the music so great 08.Imperial: instrumental,slow song All the songs are good but the above songs are the greatest ones! I love everything at this album. Hammerfall made something diferent: Song No.1 is about 6 minutes and song No.10 about 12 minutes! There is nothing I hate, except the way that the last song starts; listen to it and you will understand. If this CD were stolen/lost, I wound immidiately buy the same CD again.Is an excellent album! So, Let The Hammer Fall! // 10

Comments