Ground Dweller review by Hands Like Houses

• Released: Mar 13, 2012
Hands Like Houses: Ground Dweller

The post-hardcore scene seems to have hit a standstill. Recent releases more or less just rehash the sounds and techniques of other bands. But occasionally, a band bursts out onto the scene that revolutionizes the genre with a unique, inventive sound. Enter Hands Like Houses.

The Australian group has a thick, semi-chaotic sound that blends the technical guitar work of bands like A Skylit Drive and Dance Gavin Dance with the rhythmic punch of early Woe, Is Me and Of Machines. I cannot praise their instrumental sound enough. The guitars are as soaring as they are ferocious, combining post hardcore noodling with treble heavy breakdowns. Matt Cooper and Alex Pearson manage to meld tried and true techniques into something that comes off new and fresh, no small feat in such an over saturated genre.

The rhythm section (Joel Tyrell on bass and Matt Parkitney) locks tightly, giving the otherwise erratic guitar work a solid. Foundation to build off of. Matt's drumming shines especially, bringing tight double bass and fill work to the top of the mix often. Mix in Jamal Sabet's keyboard work, which focuses on string and bell sounds rather than the psudo-brostep sounds plaguing the genre lately, and their sound rounds out into something as epic as it is ferocious.

The vocals are one of the most pleasent surprises the band posesses. One important element of their sound is the complete absence of screaming on the album. Vocalist Trenton Woodley's voice is clear and soaring, sharing common ground with the soul influenced croonings of vocalists like Jonny Craig and Tyler Carter. His voice is powerful and commanding, but none of that would matter if the lyrics aren't up to snuff.

Again, HLH's lyrics are miles above their peers, illustrating unique song topics and stories. "Spineless Crow", which the band describes as, "explor(ing) building and breaking relationships, becoming jaded and... Mixed up... With love", sports a catchy and well written chorus, as follows:

"We were young together, but I've grown ancient
Cracked and withered and filled with regret
Waiting to sink, rushing to sink in my sleep
"

Wordplay plays a vital role in the lyrics. "Don't Look Now, I'm Being Followed. Act Normal" compares fighting the unknown to a Prince Caspian-esque chronicle of sailing to the edge of the earth. "Watchmaker" combines the themes of a life fleeting and the prominence of technology in society with time based imagery and longing. The amount of work and care that went into the lyrics and vocals is obvious, and pleasing.

Between the tight, complex musical performances and soaring, soul spiked vocals, "Ground Dweller" is unlike any post hardcore record I've ever reviewed. The song structures are varied, the music matches the mood of the lyrics. Just about everything these guys attempt not only works, but exceeds expectations.

HLH are most popular as a live band, but their debut shines almost as brightly as their live set. It's a blistering listen from "Antarctica" to "The Sower", and one of my favorite releases this year. If you enjoy your post hardcore on a more serious or technical note, "Ground Dweller" is nothing short of spectacular.

For fans of: Chiodos, Dance Gavin Dance, Woe, Is Me (before "Genesi[s]").

Suggested tracks: "Antarctica", "Spineless Crow", "Watchmaker".

ninjagayden777
    You're seriously underestimating A Skylit Drive guitar wise. Sure, it's not horribly virtuosic, but they're certainly seasoned players.
    mizou
    The CD was a little overly produced. But if you check out their acoustic stuff, it's great.
    Metallidethium
    My favorite release of 2012! There's too much hate in these comments. As a fan of both classic metal and "core" genres, I love a nice virtuoso guitar solo just as much as a heavy as **** breakdown.
    Skyvalve2012
    Screw breakdowns, Solos FTW!
    Metallidethium
    I enjoy both . The best combination of the both of them would be Pantera's Domination!
    What...Pantera did breakdowns...
    lessthan3bacon
    This is what happens when you get rebellious 9 year olds who decide to tick the "Are you over 13 years of age?" On a different note, I thought this album was alright, nothing special. Plus my band supported these guys one night and their guitarist has a pretty bad ego/attitude problem so maybe that experience kinda biases my opinion slightly, idk.
    Skyvalve2012
    I'm pretty sure they couldn't even beat Adam D. Really. Post-hardcore REALLY lacks guitar skill. And this is why I play classic metal.
    Addii
    I think I Am Abomination wants to have a word with you...
    Skyvalve2012
    Nuts. Forgot about them. But still, be gone with the breakdowns, and "Core" stuff just might be a bit more respected!
    Skyvalve2012
    Standstill for Post-hardcore indeed. And since when A Skylit Drive technical? Oh wait....never. If it has breakdowns, then you can forget making me listen to this. Epi, your turn..
    GuitarShredder+
    You guys who hate breakdowns should give this a listen anyway. They're not heavy, slow, chunky breakdowns that you'd normally hear in this genre. They actually blend with the song very well and are structured perfectly to fit with the song without making it sound heavier than it really is. I've loved this band since I first heard them and I love their new album. I just might review it..