Attack Of The Wolf King review by Haste the Day

• Released: Jun 29, 2010
Haste the Day: Attack Of The Wolf King

Haste the Day is back and more powerful than ever. A friend of mine actually told me about these guys back when Pressure The Hinges was released and I had a listen but didn't find anything special about them. Then I listened to their single Travesty and it blew me away. The album is loaded with harmonized melodies and machine gun riffs along with some really good vocals from Stephen Keech. One of my favorite releases of 2010 along with Fear Factory's "Mechanize". In order I will list the songs and my ratings for each one along with comments: 01. Wake Up the Sun 10/10 (A great opener for the album. It has a really cool intro and outro and good vocals from Keech) 02. Dog Like Vultures 10/10 (My favorite track of the whole album. Really smooth intro and then the second guitar comes in with a reverse gallop chug riff; AMAZING. Great use of a killswitch and just a great song) 03. The Quiet deadly Ticking 8/10 (Really good chorus and an awesome breakdown) 04. Travesty 10/10 (This is where their guitarists talent really shines. The intro lick is amazing and the harmonized melody in the verse is really cool. Keech has some great clean vocals that sound sort of like the vocalist/guitarist of The Devil Wears Prada. 05. Merit For Sadness 7/10 (Good track but not as good as the others on the albums. Once again cool chorus) 06. Un-Manifest 9/10 (This is another great song. Starts out with a bunch of scratchy harmonics played in the beginning) 07. A Place That Most Deny 8/10 (Awesome riff, also a really good clean breakdown) 08. White As Snow 9/10 (Definitely Stephen Keech's best vocal performance.) 09. Crush Resistance 7/10 (Nothing really special about this song except for maybe the guitar licks) 10. Walk With a Crooked Spine 8/10 (Really plain until it gets to the middle then there are some cool sweeps and other cool stuff) 11. My Name Is Darkness 9/10 (Nice wmotional song) 12. Meet Half Way (cover)11/10 (hahahahaha probably the funniest cover ever made) The last two tracks are just live versions of Pressure the Hinges and Blue 42.

The lyrics are Christian influenced and I've noticed that there are lots songs containing the words "Jackal" and "Sun". Stephen Keech, in my opinion, is Haste the Day's best vocalist yet. The lyrics are about Great vocals, that's all I can say. About lots of modern world dilemmas.

If I were to pick an artist that is almost exactly like these guys new album is, it would be August burns Red. They are so similar the only difference is that ABR's Jake Luhrs is a better screamer and that ABR don't have clean vocals (Except for Indonesia). The shining tracks of this album are "Wake Up The Sun", "Dog Like Vultures", "Travesty" and "White as Snow". I would definitely buy this album again if it got lost. LOVE IT!

Factor13x
    its a great album but i still miss the days of burning bridges (their best album and will always be their best) and when everything falls but some sicks riffs none the less and yes very ABResque with their breakdowns on this album
    TheFingerling
    Jon777 wrote: ClassicDisaster wrote: regardless, this cd is amazing. better than anything they've done yet. Nope. That would be Pressure the Hinges. Decent album. I don't really care for the direction HTD has taken, though. Now they just sound like any other metalcore band. They used to have more of a uniqueness.
    Yeah dude, HTD are still my favorite band, each album is completely different. I think that Pressure the Hinges was the best, but none of their albums (I haven't been able to track down When Everything Falls) have disappointed me. I know a guy who disliked Dreamer so much that he gave it away. Burning Bridges was good in the fact that it had good guitar solos etc. and then Pressure the Hinges which contains my favorite lineup. I love the vocals on Dreamer also, I haven't had time to listen to AOTWK as I am very busy and my iPod is broken but from what I have heard still on top of their game. The vocals are still awesome, guitar is mean too. People say that they sound the same as everyone else, but they don't! HTD are extremely unique, I've never heard a band with vocals like Keech! With the vocals of Keech and the clean singing in the choruses, this is one of the most unique sound I've ever heard!
    natuMzzri
    Great music but I'll have to agree with John777 and say that I miss the uniqueness that Pressure the Hinges had. Oh, and of course Brennan was one of the best clean voices of metalcore.
    mpedara429
    Loki_37
    mpedara429 wrote: screamocore_kid wrote: Cool band , it just sucks that most of the original guys are gone What really sucks is that they are now broken up. I always enjoyed HTD, but this album completely blew me away. Stephen Keech is an amazing and unique vocalist. he can seamlessly go from scream, to semi-scream/clean, to clean with such ease. Not to mention, their guitar work seems to be especially nifty on this one. Man, I'm really bummed about losing such a good band.
    Exactly... Even though it's probably gotten less original since PTH, I really enjoyed this album. It's not that it was original, it was just good. They took all the crap everyone else does and made it good! Sad to see 'em go!