Dreamer review by Haste the Day

Haste the Day: Dreamer

The quality of play is just as good as it's ever been in HTD. The guitars were tighter like they were in Pressure the Hinges. Personally, I think the new direction soundwise they have taken fits Stephen Keech better. From what I've heard, when Keech does the old stuff it doesn't sound nearly as good. But that's just what I've heard. As always, I admire the work Devin Chaulk does on the drums. And I also liked having a less heavy song or two in there like Labyrinth.

I don't have much to say about the lyrics. They were mostly great, but some of it sounded like I'd heard it before, like in Haunting where they sing, "You got what you wanted, you got what you wanted, so just go." The singing in the album is better than anything I've heard so far from HTD. Sometimes they are singing-borderline-screaming; that kind of passion in the singing just made the album better. Stephen Keech does well throughout the whole album, although I thought he sounded a bit different than he did in Pressure the Hinges. The song with the best screaming is Invoke Reform, at the beginning (it also has an awesome solo).

Compared to Pressure the Hinges, Dreamer I think is a step up, although I would've liked a couple more solos. I thought the top songs of the album were, Labyrinth, 68, Invoke Reform, Resolve, and Babylon. It still doesn't compare to That they May Know You, which was their early EP and best release ever. I don't mean to make anyone out there mad, but I thought the remake of Autumn was just terrible. The old Autumn was amazing, and it killed me to hear the remake with just an acoustic guitar and singing. it's kinda like how they ruined Substance when they put it in Burning Bridges because the original in That They May, was so good and they ruined it. But, I'm off course. If someone stole this album, I would definitely buy it again.