Dreamer review by Haste the Day

Haste the Day: Dreamer

Dreamer definitely is not anything like Pressure the Hinges. The vocals have taken a step back in my opinion. Stephen Keech can't and will not be able to match what Jimmy Ryan did on their first two albums. Keech has a completely different sound though that has it's own unique qualities. Brennan Chaulk's vocal skills really come out in Dreamer though. Chaulk and Keech's vocals combined make for a very emotional album. Devin Chaulk keeps getting better and better with each album and in Dreamer he plays his best to this day. Brennan Chaulk also shows his talent on the guitar more since the departure of Jason Barnes. Even though Dreamer lacks the solos from Pressure the Hinges but Brennan puts out some amazing licks on the strings. The band's future looks like it's heading more towards a mixed vocal style, between scream and clean, and the guitar and drums just keep getting better and better. Look for more great things to come out of Haste the Day.

The lyrics for Dreamer have more emotion and passion in them then any of previous albums. Even though Keech might be a step down from Ryan but he is refining his screaming that was a little shaky at times on Pressure the Hinges and with Brennan Chaulk the lyrics are really forcing their way into you. The emotion that both bring put into Dreamer really makes the lyrics jump at you and stick. The biggest factor in Haste the Day's lyrics is their Christian beliefs. Their belief in God keeps coming out more and more in every album and it is shown right from the very beginning of the album with the opening song "68", (I am the one you will call the destroyer, the messanger of my disgrace I am my own disease). They nailed it head on right from the start. We are the ones who destroy his kingdom and we are the cause of our pain, and he's the only one that can save us.

I love everything about this album. There is nothing that I can find that just cuts deep within me because it's just that bad. Haste the Day is one of the best hardcore bands out there and they keep on proving it. Just listen to "Invoke Reform" and "Resolve" and try to say otherwise. I expect that they will keep getting better and better with each album, so don't blink they might just take off on you more than they have before.

thewickerman512
    When Everything Falls got me into this band. As soon as I heard that song I went and bought the album. And I bought Pressure the Hinges when it came out. Keech just can't pull it off.
    fartsyjoe420
    HTD is a great band. And yes, I'll agree that they've never quite reached what they did with Jimmy on burning bridges and when everything falls, but this album is a bridge between the old stuff and newer stuff. Overall, great album.
    Karmekarten
    First off, This album was incredible. Keeches screams were a definate step up and it gave the whole album a more brutal feel. Yeah solos would've been nice but the album still had some of their sickest licks yet. Way better that PTH, I wouldn't know how to compare it to the albums with Jimmy... (who was insane!) the one real downside was their remake of autumn... You should really check out their 1st unsigned EP album "That they may know you." It's version of substancce and autumn were awsome and it had some amazing songs that I expect them to cover soon like who we are."..... Well that's it. Buy the albumm and see them live..
    sk8freakrt
    Saw them live just a few days after it was released and thought they were amazing, this new album is a great one too.
    LakeboDom
    Saw them live. Huge Dissapointment. Vocals and Guitar tone sounded horrible. The Day of Haste has long been here. Haste the day has long been dead. Maybe they should get guitarists who actually change their style of play.
    WSguitarist502
    An adult tree is a great song, the vocals are great. I can't compare because this is the first album i have bought of this band, but it blew me away. Invoke reform has a hard hitting riff which kick starts the song.
    doyouseeit?
    dreamer fits the album well because after a while it makes me want to sleep.... still good though.