Pressure The Hinges review by Haste the Day

• Released: Mar 20, 2007
Haste the Day: Pressure The Hinges

Since 2005 with their masterpiece 'When Everything Falls' they have had a good sound with their vocalist and his grunts and screams, but now he's left the band they've replaced him with a new vocalist who sounds good and is good but lacks the voice that the old vocalist had which is kind of a let down for a start. There is loads and when I say loads I mean loads of Clean vocals in this CD more than the last and when the Screams come in with the clean vocals it's quite hard to hear the Screams because of the clean vocals been on top. Now where out of the downsides of the Sound it's time to go to the good side. The drums have evolved since there last CD they are a lot more complicated and sound a lot better it makes you want to get up and hit something, The guitars sound really good including the guitar solos they have in this CD there's a couple of stacked in. The bass is really clear and can hear it perfectly throughout the album, but on the Final track "Chorus Of Angels" there's a part where the bass goes a bit too loud and fuzzy although it's meant too it doesn't sound so good on an Ipod. They have also included some keyboards as well which sounds very nice on some songs also with some catchy riffs it's a very nice sound.

The lyrics now heres the hard part, they sound pretty strong/tight throughout the album songs like 'Stitches' and 'Akeldema' the lyrics sound really good and then you here songs like 'Chorus Of Angels' and the lyrics sound so good you want to stand up and sing when you don't know the words. 'Stitches' has lyrics that you can't refuse to ignore in some parts it sounds quite serious where as in other parts it sounds quite weak, 'Akeldema' however has really nice lyrics with a really nice touch to the song and it's not mixed together with both Vocalists so you can here the Lyrics perfectly, the screams can be heard perfectly, trying to understand what his screaming can take a while in some parts but if you play it 3 times you'll eventually get them.

Overall it's a very hard decision to come too, there's really strong parts to the album and then again some really upsetting parts to it, it will grab you for about 5 days then you'll feel left out like they could have done that slight better with vocals, if you enjoy it loads and loads it will soon hit you like a punch in the face. This album will appeal to people who are die hard fans of the band but then again it also appeals a bit to the Post-Hardcore community which will impress all the teeny-boppers, it's an enjoyable album but not as enjoyable as I hoped it would be or what I (we) expected it to be. It sounds a bit like Underoaths 'They're Only Chasing Safety' album but has the slight touch of hardcore/metalcore to it which makes it that little less further away from turning true mainstream. I did enjoy the album and I will listen to it in the future I hope they go back to 'When Everything Falls' style, it's one of them albums you'll either Love Or Hate or have mixed feelings about, I might buy it in future and if it ever got lost then it would'nt really bother me I'd go out and buy there older stuff. Overall it's a solid album but has it's weakness's

Marksimus
    you'll either Love Or Hate or have mixed feelings about,
    your right about thats because i loved the vocals Jimmy... I like it but it just does'nt ave the ggrrrrr about it
    JadeFalcon5
    I liked their old stuff but i really dont think theyre anything special ive seen em about 9 times they come from my city (fishers indiana) theyre not amazing though definately lost their metal
    GoykPunk
    they come from my city (fishers indiana)
    I thought they went to Carmel.
    Bazooka_Joe
    So if I liked "Burning Bridges" and "When Everything Falls", will I like "Pressure The Hinges"? Keep in mind that I like both Metalcore and Post-Hardcore...