Fury & Flames review by Hate Eternal

• Released: Feb 19, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Hate Eternal: Fury & Flames

While it is a step up from I, Monarch, a step in the right direction you might say, it certainly is not a triumphant return to their glorious first two albums. It definitely is a lot more similar to Conquering The Throne or King Of All Kings than I, Monarch was but it lacks the 'moments' that were on the first two. What I am referring to by 'moments' are those short passages of amazing, killer riffs that were scattered around the first two albums: think the solo in Dogma Condemned, for an example. Another thing lacking in this latest offering is the atmosphere that was created on the first two. While there is nothing technically wrong with Fury & Flames, it is simply bland. As mentioned before, there aren't any stand out moments and all songs merge to create one 40 minute drone.

As usual, Hate Eternal triumph in the lyrics department. The lyrics fit the music as does Erik Rutan's ever brutal vokills. The only real area where this album is impressive, but then again, the same can be said for I, Monarch. I have rated this lower than I would normally, because lyrics and vocals for me are not that great a part of the music and I don't want it bringing up the average so that the end score is higher than what I really think of it.

After the disappointment that was I, Monarch, you can't be blamed for being skeptical about Hate Eternal's latest offering. If you're a fan of Hate Eternal, pick it up, but don't expect to love it. Pick it up also if you're a fan of brutal death, as Hate Eternal are still head and shoulders above that pack. If you like your death metal to have personality, prepare to be disappointed.

Drezzdez
    Your41Plague12 wrote: I really want to hear it now that I know Alex Webster is on it.
    Alex and Erik shred so freakin sad that Jared Anderson died. R.I.P Jared you will be forever membered
    cLarity-
    MHDrunk wrote: Tim Yeung beat Derek Roddy
    HAHAHA... I sure hope thats a joke. Tim Yeung isnt even a quarter of the drummer Derek Roddy is.. Even in his own dreams. Faceless One and I, Monarch are crazy as far as the drumming is concerned. The footwork in those songs makes me wonder if Derek Roddy is a robot from the future, sent to destory us all with his riduclous drumming.