For The Lions review by Hatebreed

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 5, 2009
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8.7 Superb
  • Users' score: 5.6 (30 votes)
Hatebreed: For The Lions
1

Sound — 8
Hatebreed have built a career upon chugga-chugga, knuckle-dragger mosh metal and hardcore, so covering bands like Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies, Madball, Black Flag, Misfits, Agnostic Front and Sick of It All doesn't defy anyone's expectations nor do these choices come as any sort of surprise. It's not like fans and followers were wondering if the band would go polka! However, with the exception of the it makes total sense rendition of Danzig and company's Hatebreeders, from which they took their name, the Breed doesn't cover obvious, overly popular songs by their heroes. Instead, they go for deeper cuts in most cases; Slayer's "Ghosts of War," Metallica's "Escape," Cro-Mags' "It's the Limit," Sick of It All's "Shut Me Out" and Bad Brains' "Supertouch" illustrate the band's creativity to think outside the confines of their established comfort zone a bit and interpret a spate of off-the-beaten-path songs. So while remaining forever true to their influences, Hatebreed also shake things up a bit by picking not-so-hackneyed songs to re-imagine. That is, they're not covering the same songs everyone else is. Did we really need another cover of Pantera's "Walk"? Sure, it's one of the most important songs in the metal canon, but there's no reason to go there again and Hatebreed doesn't. Hatebreed are also worthy of two very enthusiastic thumbs up for attempting a throaty version of Obituary's deathy "I'm in Pain" and Crowbar's sludgefest, "All I Had (I Gave)," as these bands/tunes are a little outside of the 'Breed's normal territory. A spot-on re-do of Madball's Set it Off is fun and a hoot, since Madball and Hatebreed are so sonically similar; it makes us want to hear Freddy and crew cover one of Hatebreed's songs on record in return.

Lyrics — 9
Since it's an album of covers, not much can be said about the lyrics, since they are someone else's. That said, Jamey Jasta and Hatebreed selected songs that fall in line and somewhat fit with Hatebreed's positive, life-affirming message. Jasta's uber-raspy, talk-yell-bark vocals are distinct as a fingerprint, and they are as robust as ever on "For the Lions." It's refreshing to hear him attempt different patterns and range with his aforementioned versions of Obituary's death metal diregery or a Crowbar, NOLA sludge rocker. The fact that Jasta is in Kingdom of Sorrow with Crowbar's Kirk Windstein isn't lost on us, either; that probably gave him the boost to cover the song. Jasta's voice is gnarlier than usual on Cro-Mags' "It's the Limit" and he adheres to the growly cadence on Sepultura's "Refuse/Resist."

Overall Impression — 9
Covers albums are what they are: a band's love letter to the bands, songs, albums and musicians who inspired them to start their own band and to make their own music. By nature, they're usually self-indulgent affairs, but that doesn't lessen their impact. These types of releases allow a band to be vulnerable and be fans again by demonstrating their love for other music. Even in the brutal metal world, it's a healthy, worthwhile gesture for a band. As for being an investment for a fan? That depends on the depth of your diehardness. Hatebreed are proud to show off their inspiration with "For the Lions," which roars throughout and bares it's fangs much the way that Hatebreed does with their original songs. The songs hover close to the originals, but never dangerously so. Hatebreed does, in fact, Hatebreed'ify these tunes. So the most tried and true Hatebreed fans will absolutely adore this collection of covers.

42 comments sorted by best / new / date

    ReiverOfSouls
    Ghosts of War I thought was pretty solid. The rest.. not so much. Besides, Gojira's cover of 'Escape' is so much better.
    Slow_N_Low
    I like Hatebreed, but they are so one dimensional. Hopefully this album gives them an opportunity to play more than the top two strings of the guitar.
    guitarstudent
    Hatebreed was the cream of the crop in 1997, now its just mundane, mindless noise with no soul! Hatebreed on MTV. Way to keep the DIY attitude in a field of music where your fans are the reason you eat! Listen to Between the buried and me's "The Anatomy of" album and tell me it's not 300% better than what these hacks in Hatebreed can pull off!!!
    xberserkx
    rofl, escape? really? thats an example of a song that if covered is basically saying "we should just cover it because nobody else does" I can't even imagine how terrible it probably is though, especially how the chorus is going to sound
    TwistedLogic
    Good review and nice use of terms to coincide with the cd title. I especially like this passage,"Covers albums are what they are: a bands love letter to the bands, songs, albums and musicians who inspired them to start their own band and to make their own music. By nature, theyre usually self-indulgent affairs, but that doesnt lessen their impact." Very nice and true. I like Hatebreed a bit so might check it out.
    shadesofanger
    xberserkx wrote: rofl, escape? really? thats an example of a song that if covered is basically saying "we should just cover it because nobody else does" I can't even imagine how terrible it probably is though, especially how the chorus is going to sound
    I'd rather hear a song that is rarely covered than listen to them play Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning or One. I for one like this album, the covers are very well done and it's good to see Wayne back shredding for Hatebreed. Maybe on their new album we can hear some awesome lead parts.
    I<3Hobos
    Set It Off was the only cover I really care for, It's an alright album, and I'm a huge Hatebreed fan. So hopefully their next real album will be good.
    Slaytan666
    Why would they even bother covering slayer or sepultura? It's not like they can beat the originals.. And 'escape'? come on.. if they wanted to impress, they should have covered 'shortest straw'. THAT would have been worth buying the album for.
    dabonehead182
    korn56 wrote: guitarstudent wrote: Hatebreed was the cream of the crop in 1997, now its just mundane, mindless noise with no soul! Hatebreed on MTV. Way to keep the DIY attitude in a field of music where your fans are the reason you eat! Listen to Between the buried and me's "The Anatomy of" album and tell me it's not 300% better than what these hacks in Hatebreed can pull off!!! i would say, 1000% better than this hatebreed album, hatebreed has lost their creativity
    Hatebreed and BTBAM are like apples and oranges:Completely different. Plus their style is different. BTBAM are more along the same lines as opeth and Hatebreed are just straight up hardcore. Plus, Hatebreed play the genre very well.
    djc1993
    i dnt know wat u guys are talking about this album is pretty decent and the cover of Escape is pretty good! try listening to the album before u talk crap yeah?
    eastern_riffs
    Slaytan666 wrote: Why would they even bother covering slayer or sepultura? It's not like they can beat the originals.. And 'escape'? come on.. if they wanted to impress, they should have covered 'shortest straw'. THAT would have been worth buying the album for.
    I believe they don't know what else to do. It's difficult to write complete new albums when your guitarists know only power chords,especially if you've been around for almost 15 years.
    ragethetool
    I don't think they're trying to beat the originals... I'll check it out. I realy like Rise of Brutality, and that's most of my Hatebreed exposure.
    henkka_potku
    guitarstudent wrote: Hatebreed was the cream of the crop in 1997, now its just mundane, mindless noise with no soul! Hatebreed on MTV. Way to keep the DIY attitude in a field of music where your fans are the reason you eat! Listen to Between the buried and me's "The Anatomy of" album and tell me it's not 300% better than what these hacks in Hatebreed can pull off!!!
    +1 BTBAM all the way.
    GS LEAD 5
    henkka_potku wrote: guitarstudent wrote: Hatebreed was the cream of the crop in 1997, now its just mundane, mindless noise with no soul! Hatebreed on MTV. Way to keep the DIY attitude in a field of music where your fans are the reason you eat! Listen to Between the buried and me's "The Anatomy of" album and tell me it's not 300% better than what these hacks in Hatebreed can pull off!!! +1 BTBAM all the way.
    +1
    webaldo
    eastern_riffs wrote: Slaytan666 wrote: Why would they even bother covering slayer or sepultura? It's not like they can beat the originals.. And 'escape'? come on.. if they wanted to impress, they should have covered 'shortest straw'. THAT would have been worth buying the album for. I believe they don't know what else to do. It's difficult to write complete new albums when your guitarists know only power chords,especially if you've been around for almost 15 years.
    dont comment if you dont know what are you talking about. this is hardcore, if you dont like it, go listen to yingwie or petrucci...
    xAxioNx
    i mus say, this band has always shown it's best sides and so brought hardcore to the wrong people. a mate of mine once had an interview with jasta in 2001 and what the guy said was: "we came to europe to create scenes". well, i must say, before this band conquered the world, the scene was actually A LOT BETTER. they brought music to the wrong people. but what we must say: THE MUSIC WAS KICKASS although. To the album: During the past 2 years, i got very disapointed by hb. Their Singer does things for MTV, he should well know how to hold a band on the top. But sorry, the live-DVD is so shitty and just here for helping the band sell out. and this album brings you nothing too. Hardcore isn't about selling your autographs to the fans or getting 7000 USD per show.
    Uncrrupt
    I like it. Not every Song as good as the original, but overall a good album to drive car.
    AEnima18
    Maybe it should be called "For The Hatebreed Fans" to make it clearer lol.
    guitarsftw
    Slaytan666 wrote: Why would they even bother covering slayer or sepultura? It's not like they can beat the originals.. And 'escape'? come on.. if they wanted to impress, they should have covered 'shortest straw'. THAT would have been worth buying the album for.
    cover albums pay tribute to the artists their covering, they aren't trying to impress or outdo the originals. also, they get to pick songs that are close to them, songs that served as inspiration. saying an artist "should have" payed tribute to a song that they may not know anything about, let alone appreciate it, in unreasonable
    guitarstudent
    I disagree completely with the apples and oranges comparison. Without the likes of Hatebreed and Earthcrisis, you wouldn't have BTBAM or Opeth or The Red Chord or any other TALENTED band in existance today. Fact of the matter is, Hatebreed has served their purpose in aggressive music history. With their heads held high, they should just stop wasting time preeching and saying, "we will never conform" yet plastering videos and guest appearances all over Mindless TV (MTV). These guys are one of the bands that got me into Hardcore to begin with. So since music has evolved since 1995, This is what I would say to the members of Hatebreed. Learn some scales, take a little theory, practice ALOT, then comeback and give us a real reason to ever listen to Hatebreed again. Give me the goosebumps, like you used to with raw power. Show us all that we should continue to support you. Personally its going to take alot for me to go back.
    Scottzar
    guitarstudent wrote: I disagree completely with the apples and oranges comparison. Without the likes of Hatebreed and Earthcrisis, you wouldn't have BTBAM or Opeth or The Red Chord or any other TALENTED band in existance today.
    Really, because the bands before them like ST and AG spawned Hatebreed and Earth Crisis, and stuff before them influenced them, etc. And there are certainly talented bands that aren't related at all to "the likes of Hatebreed and Earth Crisis," so I don't know what you're talking about. I hope you're at least referring to bands that started after they did. If you're saying Megadeth is good because of Hatebreed then there's major a problem. Even if you mean bands after them, you're gonna tell me Alestorm wouldn't be around because of these guys?
    Scottzar
    Scottzar wrote: the bands before them like ST and AG
    I mean AF, not AG. I was thinking of the first two letters.
    guitarstudent
    Ok Scottzar I'll break it down for you. Hatebreed is an untalented hack band. Apparently you have no idea what your talking about because who the hell is AF? Before you try and speak your piece, think before you type. No kidding there is other talented bands, a 13 year old kid who's been playing for 6 weeks could out perform any member of Hatebreed! Music is an evolutionary art form. Once you figure out its more than just 3 chords and the same weak ass chug-a-chug, your might find that your playing will really improve. I'll say it again: "THEY HAVE SERVED THEIR PURPOSE IN AGGRESSIVE MUSIC" Sorry if that hurts anyones feelings but I didn't spend 8 years of my life defending the Constitution and EVERYONES civil liberties to be tuff guyed on an internet forum!!! Cool, you don't like what I said? Fine. Prove me and everyone else who shares my views wrong.
    guitarstudent
    Mattlee68: You have nothing of importance to add. The grownups are having a discussion. Go back to the kiddie table and eat all of your veggies or it's timeout for your mister!
    guitarsftw
    guitarstudent wrote: Ok Scottzar I'll break it down for you. Hatebreed is an untalented hack band. Apparently you have no idea what your talking about because who the hell is AF? Before you try and speak your piece, think before you type. No kidding there is other talented bands, a 13 year old kid who's been playing for 6 weeks could out perform any member of Hatebreed! Music is an evolutionary art form. Once you figure out its more than just 3 chords and the same weak ass chug-a-chug, your might find that your playing will really improve. I'll say it again: "THEY HAVE SERVED THEIR PURPOSE IN AGGRESSIVE MUSIC" Sorry if that hurts anyones feelings but I didn't spend 8 years of my life defending the Constitution and EVERYONES civil liberties to be tuff guyed on an internet forum!!! Cool, you don't like what I said? Fine. Prove me and everyone else who shares my views wrong.
    its not a right/wrong thing that can be proven or disproven. people like what they like, they don't have to explain why, and you're a douche in trying to say that they're wrong in liking a band.
    korn56
    guitarstudent wrote: Hatebreed was the cream of the crop in 1997, now its just mundane, mindless noise with no soul! Hatebreed on MTV. Way to keep the DIY attitude in a field of music where your fans are the reason you eat! Listen to Between the buried and me's "The Anatomy of" album and tell me it's not 300% better than what these hacks in Hatebreed can pull off!!!
    i would say, 1000% better than this hatebreed album, hatebreed has lost their creativity
    Mattlee68
    Yer all crybabies telling on me! WAH!!!!! Don't you "guitar dreamers" like guitardstudent realize that bands like HATEBREED are so very successful here and around the world because of basic guitar riffs and catchy songs and lyrics? Songwriting is the key to success, not twenty minute displays of overtalented three handed guitar soloing in the 9th quintode dumdum. This is why HATEBREED is off to play around the world to MILLIONS this summer while your GUITAR GOD is off doing an American Tour of SAMASH stores. Got that Steve Vai?
    eastern_riffs
    webaldo wrote: eastern_riffs wrote: Slaytan666 wrote: Why would they even bother covering slayer or sepultura? It's not like they can beat the originals.. And 'escape'? come on.. if they wanted to impress, they should have covered 'shortest straw'. THAT would have been worth buying the album for. I believe they don't know what else to do. It's difficult to write complete new albums when your guitarists know only power chords,especially if you've been around for almost 15 years. dont comment if you dont know what are you talking about. this is hardcore, if you dont like it, go listen to yingwie or petrucci...
    as a matter of fact i do know what I'm talking about.releasing albums is a complex process where you first have to please your record label and then your fans. people are tired of listening to the huge amount of similar sounding bands today.hatebreed is a pioneer and they could have released another album just like their older ones, which more or less sound like what other hardcore bands play today, or changed genre and released one with something different, or released this cover album, which they did.the album you are defending isn't anything great, so f*ck off and don't tell me what to do.
    had_hc
    well, Jasta did start Hatebreed with 'back to basic' concept in mind. but perhaps, it'll be nice if they evolve.
    xAxioNx
    this band SELLS OUT. hardcore isn't about selling your autographs or getting 7000 USD per show. these guys have always been arrogant...a mate of mine once had an interview with Jamey Jasta in 2001 and the guy said "We Came to Europe To Create Scenes"...so naiv and poor. although i must confirm that i really like the first 2 albums. since the dvd released, this band has died for me.
    guitarstudent
    Well I guess it comes down to this: guitarsftw and mattlee68 must be deaf. And as far as being a douche? Ok dude you are not reading the text. First amendment. I got it, so does everyone here. Speak your piece, I'll do my part, but when it gets to name calling, then it turns into this. I LOVED HATEBREED!!! get it people!! read it again, I'll wait. But when after 15 some odd years your first album sounds like your new one, Im gonna be pissed. No growth, no forward progress. Sorry thats a let down to everyone who is a fan.
    Violent-D13
    I am a diehard hatebreed fan and i only like maybe 6 or 7 songs off of this piece and the loss of Sean and replacement of Wayne was just that (a loss). If Hatebreed fans wanted to hear leads that are just insanely fast finger taps and slides that just sound like ****n mindless noise. we would listen to some other shit. I REALLY ****n hope that Supremacy wasn't the last great album from them...
    webbtje
    Terrible, energy-drained, soulless, contract-requirement album. They ruined a fair few good songs.