Letters To The President review by Hawk Nelson

• Released: Jul 13, 2004
Hawk Nelson: Letters To The President

Letters To The President is Hawk Nelson's debut album. With their hits Take Me and Right Here, they've really hit it big. Their punk-rock music styling, mixed with Christian lyrics, has created such a genre that it attracted teens from all over. Hawk Nelson's style is mostly punk rock, but that doesn't mean that it's all punk rock. From Underneath and 36 Days are both soft-rock songs that keep you listening. And then there is Like A Race CD which really caught me off guard, it's really rockish.

Every song has an underlying message that basically says to follow God. Most punk rockers complain about how hard life is, but Hawk Nelson takes a different approach. Instead of complaining, they teach you to follow God. I find it much easier to read the lyrics instead of just listening to them because that way you're not distracted, and they lyrics are amazing. You CD tell even before you buy them that they're good.

My overall impression is great. Hawk Nelson has ended up in the hands of not only Christian music listeners, but punk rock listeners, too. Their music is awesome. Buy the album, listen to it, and have your friends listen, too. Trust me, it'll be worth your time and money.

gibson--girl
    pretty good review! but not all the songs basically say to follow God. late show is obviously about dating a , 36 days is about life on the road, etc. and by the way, 'like a racecar' is rockin' b/c it features Trevor McNevan of the hard rock band Thousand foot krutch, who helped get hawk nelson started! overall, good review.
    Mike17
    Seriously how are take that and right here punk songs? pop punk at best. Stop and think, do u say these labels to make em sound better to people who wouldn't like the music otherwise, i understand people calling "late show", "recess" and even songs like "like a racecar" or "first time" punk but seriously "right here" and "take me" no. Right here is pop punk, "Take me" is a christian rock ballad. What next, you people gonna start calling "36 days" heavy metal?
    bobby51jr
    I don't get it. Its MUSIC it doesn't matter how you classify it, its all about the sound of it. Sure it could be a 'punk' band but that did they call themselves a punk band? That's what us listeners assumed. They just do what they love; writing and playing music. So don't fight over what the message is or what genre they are or if 36 Days is a metal song, just listen to the music for pete's sake!