If Only Your Were Lonely review by Hawthorne Heights

• Released: Feb 28, 2006
Hawthorne Heights: If Only Your Were Lonely

Well lets just say Hawthorne Heights has improved 10 fold. This is without a doubt 10 times better than there last album. The band comes together really well on this one, everything has improved, plus they have kept true to there style. These elements make this album one to pick up.

The lyrics have improved drastically. They remain true to the Hawthorne Heights style. I think the lyrics are a little bit more happy then the last album too, which makes this one alot better to listen to.

fantastic. The guitar work is great. First time I've ever heard Hawthorne Heights use pinch harmonics, theres also a little solo in one song which is very refreshing to hear considering what style of music they are playing. This album blows the last one out of the water, since I've heard this, I've pretty much lost the old one. This one is fantastic. Hawthorne Heights fans will love it, and people who used to hate them, will start to like them as they listen to this wonderful work.

Zoso68
    all rock is emotional, hell all music is emotional, thats what music is, putting emotion into some kind of almost tangible existance...so i dont give them points for being innovative...their music is not technically challenging so no points for musicality...and no matter how much i hate a band as a fellow musician i give them some kind of credit because we all know how hard it is to write one good song, much less two albums worth, but hawthorne heights doesnt even write their own music so there 0/3 with me
    xgrindcorex
    avenged_lover06
    xgrindcorex wrote: randomkiller wrote: xgrindcorex wrote: I love all the kiddies here who listen to shit like avenged sevenfold, metallica, trivium, korn, disturbed, etc. and have the nerve to say that emo sucks. I guarantee that everyone in this thread who says emo sucks, cannot even name one real emo band. i can, i know what emo is, its not HH, HH is screamo or emocore, not emo, emo is slower and more winey. the guitarists arent that good, their lyrics are winey, but thats how they get through their lives, just like goth people, or many other routines, every does at least one thing the same way every single day, and emo kids are hated because they differ, i know im sounding like a therapist, but you guys hate on people cause they're not you, and they like certain bands(but green day does suck, dont deny it) and HH are also just some more emo kids, but they play music, and some people like them, and some dont..... HH KICKS ASS!!! HH isn't real emo. This goes for all of you, if you don't know what emo is, don't be an ignorant asshat and bash it, and say it sucks. Chances are your taste in music is terrible like everyone else in this godawful review.
    real emo is and always will be things like rites of spring and dashboard confessonal ok good now thats setteled i would like to add that there is better music then HH personaly i believe HH are no better then simple plan just a boy band with guitars they try to scream but fail miserably
    jj1565
    Garrett52789 wrote: When people publicize lyrics like "Cut my wrists and black my eyes", I find myself asking....myself....."Why dont these depressed little ... kill themselves and save the rest of us the downs of their life." Of course they won't though, because they really aren't depressed due to the fact that they travel the world playing music and making thousands of dollars for doing it.
    QUOTE EDITED. NO FLAMING.
    bobbynogo
    HA! I love the commercial for the cd. The singer/guitarist is kinda doing a funny dance type thing.
    greenday_alk3
    HH is the absolute worst band Ive ever heard in my entire life. If anyone else here watches Fuse then odds are you've seen the commercials for their new album several hundred times since January. They show that commercial AT LEAST 30 times a day. OK I KNOW YOU HAVE A NEW CD! Im still not buying it just cause they're throwing it in my face. That would be the same as buying monkey feces at the zoo just cause the cute monkeys throw it at you. Only monkey feces has a purpose, I cant say the same for HH.
    ooblah
    THANK YOU! hawthorn heights are a no talent money band that just plays what MTV wants to hear. what a way to ruin the radio. and what style?? LOL im serious im getting sick and tired of these great bands suffering because of these teenage girls who cry into a mic and get paid for it. Learn something other than a bar chord for christ sake.
    xCompanyCalls
    yeah RockYourFace, VERY well put. spoken like a prophet. their music is god awful and so are their music videos. they just plain suck. if you have three guitarist in your band you should have wicked solos and harmonizing riffs/parts. not just power chords for the whole song. its ridiculous. and oh my god have you seen the new music video? i put it on mute so i can just watch the ****ers "rock out" the singers little sway up and down is hilarious. i don't know how many of you get guitar world magizine but a few months back there was an article about "the album that changed my life" all these guitarist are doing metallica, the yardbirds, acdc, megadeth, and here comes the hawthorn heights singer with, JIMMY EAT WORLD. they suck. i hope they go cut their wrist and die, die! die! die!
    Asi@nConnection
    I never minded emo music. There are allot of all right emo or hardcore bands out there. Writing about emotion in music isn't bad either. Anyone who says otherwise should listen to The Wall (one of the greatest albums of all time). If anyone want's to say Pink Floyd are wimpy you can chew your hands off for all I care. That said, I simply can?t stand Hawthorn Heights. The all singers' voices sound terrible and the three guitars are completely unnecessary. They would be fine if they had one good guitar player and one good vocalist. I can't fathom how on earth Hawthorn Heights got so popular. Alexisonfire, Funeral for a Friend and Stutterfly are all infinitely better than Hawthorn Heights in every conceivable sense. Hate Hawthorn Heights, not emotion or emo music.
    genresrforposer
    oops sorry. clicked on wrong thing. neway, while these guys r musically retarted but economical genuises. they've even invented a formula: simple power chords+ whiny lyrics and vocals + appeal to 13 yr old naive girls+ haircuts(actually that goes along w/ 13 yr old girl appeal)- work - talent - lyrics that r concerned w/ problems outside of one's own personal problems(altho slipknot n sum nu metal bands r guilty of this too)+ lots of money for lil work = damn those emo genuises!
    jaymyvendetta
    whey Gotta love all these mis-informed comments. And all the people convinced they can change peoples minds. Bottom line is 90% of these posts are mis-informed or just idiotic. Oh well. A few side notes; Bullet For My Valentine aren't emo. Please stop labeling every popular band as emo. BFMV aren't even that good. Pop-Metal in my opinion. Still at least they convinced a few people to get into metal. It's like a gateway band i guess. Every die hard punk fan that hates emo NEEDS to listen to Husker Du. Zen Arcade is incredible. HH lyrics are clich but not to the point where it becoes unlistenable, or even to the point that it detracts from the song. They aren't the most complicated songs but it's not just powerchoords like a lot of people have said. Yes Brand New are lyrical geniuses. And for the love of god, as musicians, please listen to more than one genre. Even if you don't like it. If all you listen to is metal and you branch out and listen to some emo, punk, blues, jazz, anything at all and you'll improve tenfold. Just for example, if you're a guitarist, randomly find a song you won't like like Candle in the Wind. Sit there and figure out the chords (or if you're lazy look it up). Doodle over the top of it. It's a really good exercise.
    jaymyvendetta
    bambi_slaughter wrote: man i cant stand this stuff..theres nothing wrong with a little emo here and there..but F***! this better all die down soon...
    It is dying down. The Scene kids are listening to bands like The Black Dahlia Murder now. They won't go away completely though. And for a good reason. There are still a lot of people like me that like music like this.
    Pidgequin
    HH is the epitimy of whiny, can't get a girlfriend, always sing about breaking up, emo, crap. In the great words of iamtheguitarpro "Emo needs to die. nuff said."
    Kronan
    I just got some pocket money and i'm definately buying this CD on Tuesday. I've had it amrked since their DVD "This is Who We Are" came out. That DVD had new songs that were mind boggling, and those are all on this new CD. Thanx for the review, its encouraged me to buy this album even more.
    Saintsniper
    ^ Now why couldn't the rest of the posts make sense like that? If you don't like HH or "emo" music, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU HERE?! Go and read something more suitable to your tastes, and leave the people who like this music alone. Stop the non-sense. If you listen to The Black Dahlia Murder, Silverstein, 'Tallica, or, I dunno, The Postal Service even, GO THERE. Kill the stupidity by straying off topic. Anyways, "The Silence in Black and White" wasn't a bad album, but I've heard "This Is Who We Are" and "Saying Sorry" on PureVolume. I'm definitely gonna get this CD, and see if it's really that much better than the first.
    shaneisraw
    I actually like the new song, it's the new video that is god awful.....H.H. are all dressed up in white with red crosses on them, like nurses, playing with not a whole lot of energy.....then there are these VERY ugly looking women in too much make up.....then the traditional emo stuff: kids playing doctor, make out scene, blah blah blah.....god i hate that video
    Serfius
    speirs13 wrote: okay, lets take a time out. ALL MUSIC IS EMOTIONAL. okay now that thats out of the way, hawthorne heights is pop punk with an annoying guy screaming once in awhile. Theyre just like every other emo/punk.pop punk/whatever the **** you want to call it. they're bad. anyone who read edgar allen poe in high school can write songs like theirs. Its music that appeals to 14 yr old girls who just broke up with their boyfriend, or 14 yr old dudes who are pussies. and i happen to be huge fans of death cab and brand new, calling them both emo is a HUGEEEE understatement. sure brand new's "your favorite weapon" was pop-punkish, but look where theyve gone from there. hawthore heights is atrocious, and so is that whole genre.
    Don't insult Edgar Allen Poe.
    Tortiss
    HH should just hurry up and cut their wrists already. And Emo is a trend because SO many people are in it for the style and not the music. Now don't get me wrong, some emos might be in it cause they actrully like emo music...but i can garuntee its a small majority. As far as the Album goes...Still way too whiny. Good luck next CD.
    hobomonkey
    this is the stupidest ****cking thing i've ever heard...you can't start hating on a band or a type of music b.c YOU don't like it...god d*mn..if you don't like it don't listen to it...there's no reason to be raving on about it in arguments like this..
    xgrindcorex
    masterometal666
    Waterboy799 wrote: kevinmawae25 wrote: why does everyone in this fuccin community rank on emo music?... what the **** is wrong with putting alot of emotion in your lyrics?... i mean look into history, some of the greatest songs; Tears in Heaven, Sweet child o Mine, theyre all based on fuccin emotion... so these guys have different emotions, why is that a problem? no no, sweet child was a song based on emotion yes, but listen to the rest of the album, its full on ****in rock, with emo, every single song is talking aout how crappy my life is or why did she dump me and things like that, you cant even compare sweet child o' mine to any emo song today because the lyrics in sweet child arent retarded, they're original, and axl doesnt cry when he sings them.
    Cheers to you, smart one. The whole Emo genre has this whiny quality to their vocals. Axl sounds like a rocker, and the lyrics for SCOM are emotional, yes, but he's not talking about cutting himself, or how his life is so f*cked up or anything. And he doesn't have somone screaming in the background for the whole song. Some of you may not understand what I mean by this, but they suck at screaming to. That's friggin stupid. Screaming is supposed to sound angry, not whiny. And I believe it was claimed by metal in the first place. Emo is just a bunch of Posers and Pussies. That's what it all comes down to. And though I hate it, it's unlikely that it will die. So, I will be burning alot of cd's over the next decade, lol....
    masterometal666
    SeattleJEM7 wrote: omg, you guys, emo is nothing but a damn trend. haven't you noticed all of these new bands, with whiney singers that cry about losing their girlfriends and commiting suicide because they got pickles on their cheeseburgers? imo, emo is by far the worth genre of music i have ever heard. what's worst is the hardcore emo fans. dressing in all black, wearing girl pants, always frowning, poetry, and slitting their wrists the wrong way. WTF is wrong with these people!?!? how the hell does whiney songs make you want to slit your wrists? oh wait, nvm, because i'd probably want to do it if i got stuck listening to these guys for more than 30 mins. i just can't wait until something blows emo away or until people realize that these songs are nothing but crying over stupid shit. everyone has problems, but we don't go and write 20 songs about how we got dumped from a 2 week relationship. there are sooo many better locals bands out there, imo these guys never deserved to get a record deal, they should just have stayed as the usual crappy, emo/hardcore bands that all the cool kids listen to.
    And the congregation said, AMEN! I especially liked the pickles part lol.
    genresrforposer
    What would James Hetfield say if you told him to his face ' I like Hawthorne Heights. ' He'd probably laugh and spit in your face. Then Kirk would shred you down.
    as much as i hate emo music, i really dought that after "some kind of monster" those guys are the immature douchebags u want them 2 turn back into(altho their music was better wen they were). seek help.
    Mascot-Rebel
    If you guys want to look at the lyrics off this go to www.plyrics.com it has their second album.. go to artists under h click hawthorne heights and its there. ive only heard a couple songs off their new one. so far i like "Where I Can Stab Myself In The Ears"
    randomkiller
    p0rkr1nd5
    Oh yeah, something I forgot, you talk about how great this band and how musically amazing they are? A friend of mine was hanging out with this band in the recording studio and he spoke to the guitarist of HH during a conversation with a mutual friend about Pete Townshend of the Who, to which the HH guitarist replied who is Pete Townshend? Any guitar player that doesn't know Pete Townshend ISNT a musician
    DanJacobsII
    definently better then their old cd. and thats really saying something. i do agree though, their lyrics arent the best. they are all predictable. and get really repetative. but musically, jaw-dropping.
    battery777
    quit crying about how emo music is good music. its only popular because its shown on mtv
    Dynamitedance
    I personally dont like this band, but with this emo thing it seems like every new band that comes out that isnt really heavy or have an some jangly guitar riff is tagged as emo. But some of these bands like these with their whiny slit my wrists and piss my bed lyrics are just terrible and its kind of weird seeing your friends that were once happy people become all downbeat and emotional and in some cases doing what is cool and hurting themselves.I think that the fasion is messing alot of stuff up just because lyrics envolve stupid things doesnt mean they should do it. I think there are alot of other bands that envolve emotion that do it better and with it ending on a high note of getting over it without doing something stupid and vain.
    StyxandStones
    Hawthorne Heights is by far one of the worst bands of all time. They are a disgrace to rock and roll. It's because of bands like these that people stop listening to rock music. Their lyrics include
    slit my wrists and black my eyes
    while screaming. In their music videos, they show dark scenes and show innocent children becoming grotesque elderly people. This might be understandable if it had a purpose. Meanwhile, the band is lead by a pretty-boy singer who doesn't understand of the screaming going on throughout the song. He gets away with holding an incredibly expensive guitar, trying to be cool. Hawthorne Heights is a perfect stereotype of what an
    emo
    band is.
    p0rkr1nd5
    Look emo does not exist. Anyone who pretends to be emo is just doing it because they think it's cool. No one throws anything in their face and the world is not out to get them. Do you see children in Africa whose parents have died from AIDS growing hair over their eyes or writing depressing songs? No you don't because they're being good people and fighting to survive and change things. If your life really is bad, you're not going to write sad songs, you're going to call a suicide hotline, get a therapist or call social services. People have been and are still trying to give all people a good life, and writing about how sad your life is doesn't help anyone. I agree music should be emotional. Some of the best songs of all time are, but there is a limit between writing about love, lost love etc. and how crappy your life is and how your sisters jeans don't fit anymore. Emo music has trapped modern rock music in a void of advacnment. There hasn't been an outstanding band or album since during the 90's pretty much. Feel free to write emotionally but don't try and make your life seem sad so you can get girls, its disgusting.
    Friar Tuck
    Thing is...all these kids that dress up like freaks...are they gonna look like that in 10/20 years time? no, they're gonna grow up and think 'wtf was I doing'
    rbantricker
    and i hate the way ppl label music cant u just like watever, i love hawthorne heights new album, i also love mcflys newish album
    Green_Day_Rock
    Theres nothing wrong with listening to emo music, it's how you interperate the lyrics for yourself. I lsiten to emo so what? I don't walk around moaning about how crap life is (I know someone who does and it's really starting to piss me and his girlfriend off.) The best band I heard off Victory Records is June. Unlike HH, they don't write songs about bleeding to death or crap like that. I'd also like to clear up the emo streotypes: 1. There is nothing unusal about guys wearing eye liner. (as long as you don't wear eye shadow, lipstick or draw silly fake tears with it on your cheeks.) 2. The whole I want to die thing is funny for a while, but most of us do it a for a laugh. I have no intention of killing myself or anybody else for that matter (well, apart from the crazy lady and all her chavy children that live on my street) 3. Emo kids have feelings just like the rest of us. Have a heart people, if we want to listen to our music, we'll do that, regardless of how crap it is in your opinion. HH are doing what they love, so let them. (They can't be depressed with those sales figures or the large cash sums they get.)
    SeattleJEM7
    Goodeyesniper24
    heh, this is a good conversation, i personally have nothing against emo music but when it gets into needles and cutting like the used like to do, then its just too much, 50% of hawthorne heights music is good i say, PS i like my tight girlish pants lol
    forsaknazrael
    I just wish a band with 3 guitars would use their instuments a little more appropriately. They really don't need 3, with the way they do their music. If i had a band like that, i would be busting out overlapping harmoniaes and leads all the freaking time.
    i<3soad
    BrokenWingman wrote: As far as I'm concerned, Hawthorne Heights would be better if they were so emo with their lyrics. Musically not bad at all. But good god, their lyrics are retarded.
    every one has different tastes on music, personally i like EMO music cuz it helps me deal with my own emotions.. so stop going against others tastes in music! every single kind of music has something hidden that makes it amazing.. yes i must say even rap has good, even though personally i don't like it. hope i got my point across!