If Only Your Were Lonely review by Hawthorne Heights

• Released: Feb 28, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Hawthorne Heights: If Only Your Were Lonely

The sound seemed muddy and thick to me. The guitars lack cutting power and the bassist seems content to sit in the pocket for every song. The drums were so-so, and the vocals lack any flare. I give it a 3 because at least they didn't change their entire sound into a highly polished pop melody band.

"Seeing you cry, over my boring lyrics, makes me feel like saying sorry." This was the major downfall of this record for me. I had expected Hawthorne Heights to come back with different subject matter for an album than simply "I miss you." The lines are tired and generic.

The only part of this entire record I liked was the chorus to "Saying Sorry." Other than that, the lyrics are mediocre, the sound is less than desirable, and the overall work is just below the par of what I expected from musicians with such a dynamic live performance. I'll give it a 5 because they stuck to their guns and made their record, not mine. Better luck next time guys.

HH_Emo_666
    okk .. i love hh .. id rate the cd a 9/10 .. but for all u haters .. dont even bother to even comment on this if u hate it so much .. comment on the taste of music u like
    DTFatesWarningX
    just a side note....i love how theMASSdisgrace said "i love when punkers beat up emo people" when he doesnt realize its the SAME MUSIC! ITS POWERCHORDS! POOOWEEER CHOOORDS!! And honestly im sick of this "emo" epidemic...its like a witch hunt or something. and its ruining people's opinions of music too. My friend HATES tmv NOT because of the vocals, but because they USED to be At the Drive in! they sound NOTHING similar, the lyrics arent emo at all, but he still wont listen to them, just cuz that label. And w/ TMV i've yet to see omar use a single power chord more than twice in a row PER SONG
    DTFatesWarningX
    btw haha just listening to The Wall...yes, the movie was f***ed up, but the whole premise is that he builds an EMOtional wall around himself and shuts out the world. ridiculously depressing, and another example of how pre-emo music still had emotion. In fact, i hate music that has lyrics that are "dio-esque" like about half of the metal bands out today. You all may bash Metallica, but if you think about it, a lot of their music has emotion in it. Dark, dark emotion. Just think of "one" for example. I mean "Fade to Black" is about friggin suicide. Eh, i guess its just me. Another thing, why do people hate emo people? They dont seem to get that hating someone, who's already depressed, is NOT going to make the situation better. Seriously, not saying that im going to, but im sure that somewhere i could get an angry mob to go around, killing emo people, if i had time. But i dont. And im not that mean.
    boyan89
    THIS CD RULES!!!SCREW AlL OF U dat hate it if they aenrt emo then how come they scream so if u hate Hawthorne Heights wtf is the point of comng here and writing s*** bout dem if u dont like the band then DONT WRITE CRAP BOUT Dem anywas this cd ruled like crazy the guitars have improved and bass and possibly the drums SO ONCE AGAIN FU IF U HATE HH DONT COME HERE AND WRITE CRAP for all u guys that like HH rock on
    schroederc
    ok if you dont like this band then get the f off their review page. i personally love HH i can relate to their songs easily. i gotta get me that new cd.
    Garrett52789
    boyan89
    i agree with schroederc cuz i have the cd and it is amazing so f off and stop writing shit like honestly this cd has amazing guitar solos and for those of u who say hh should stop complaining they aernt complaining bout their lives i have the reissued cd of The Silence In Black And White and it says that Cut My wrists and black my eyes is a figure of speech so in their songs they aernt complainging u motherf***
    boyan89
    Garrett52789 wrote:gmdsngnmdsgndsgdsng ndsgsd,gnds,gnsdg were not gonna get off, were just say more mean things. If you (HH) spend time recording songs and albums about killing yourself and singing about how sad you are, then sell them for millions of dollars, how sad could you be? Emo is stupid, if your depressed, go to a doctor, not your local CD shop. Damn noobs!
    inbloom93
    ok....emo isnt a ****ing trend or anything its music. kids that think they are 'emo' are really not gothic enough to be goths or anything, they are just one step below transvesdeit. emo isnt a ****ing fashion statement. get that into your heads. its MUSIC. EMO TIONAL PUNK=EMO. DURDURDUR!!! i hate it when people like most of you who left comments think that emo is some kid dressed in tight jeans and wears mascara where the boys look like girls and the girls look like dikes. but seriously...come on. emo is music. there. i think i made my point. now, on what ive heard from my freind on the album, he said that this album was really good, and that the best song (in his opinion) was Where Can I Stab Myslef In The Ears (is that the title) and he saids its their best album soim gonna get it and the reviews are good too.only one bad review. thats good news. HAWTHORNE HEIGHTS ROCKS!
    schroederc
    boyan89 i just got the album it is so awesome. dude sweet. thats all i have to say about it. and inboom93 i am not a goth i am not a goth wannabe i am a hard core punk lover so you can shut up about the fashion statement becuz all of us arent that weird
    inbloom93
    all i said was that im sick of people turning emo music into a trend and that i hate it went people rip on the music. why dont you just mind your own buissness. why do you people have to come here. its just stupid. anyway, ya, im gonna get this, looks good.