The Silence In Black And White review by Hawthorne Heights

• Released: Jun 1, 2004
Hawthorne Heights: The Silence In Black And White

This band is nothing new, but, in this case, originality doesn't really matter. The sound isn't really groundbreaking, and the riffs aren't amazing nor complex. The lead guitar work is decent, but not really something to get all worked up about either. The bass and drums are pretty much the same as well. The vocals are very emo-like and generic, and the screams are just xeroxed off as well. But for some strange reason, the sound just clicks. Personally, I don't really dig the whole 3 guitar attack, because if the vocalist just dropped the guitar, he wouldn't be missing out on much playing and he could improve and concentrate more on his voice. But, this is one man's opinion, so... The sound like a mixture between Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, and a little of Armor For Sleep, but with a little less instrumental talent, and the a little less vocal talent as well. Yet, the song has many hooks as a whole, making it a very catchy album. I can sit back and still listen to this album over and over, because every song on the cd has just something that clings to your head and won't go away. And it sticks there, but not in an annoying way. This is a cd that deserves much recognition. Usually, bands that catch on with me this quick later (a few weeks) leave me without interest in replay value. But this cd just caught on and I've had it for about 4 months, and I still listen to it.

Lyrics are pretty good, but the lyricist is no Boyd or Lacey. "She poured gasoline and by fire's light she cried. She cried all night, until the salt from her tears rusted shut her eyes", "Swim through these waters, my lungs collapse, as I'm gasping for air. I'll breath you in, you are my oxygen alone", and "I sleep with one eye open so I can see you breathing... You are the only station, you play the song I know" are examples of the base of the lyrics Hawthorne Heights provides. As I said before, the vocals aren't anything new. The vocals are solid and get the job done, while the harsh, almost unexpected screams come in. They fit in nicely, but the also aren't anything incredible. Still, the vocals get the job done, and fit very well with the music.

I can't really compare this album to other artists because this album is pretty much a combination of a lot of emo bands with a lot of hooks. "Niki FM", "Ohio Is For Lovers", "Silver Bullet", "Screenwriting An Apology", and "Speeding Up The Octaves" are my favorite. Probably my least favorable track is "Blue Burns Orange", yet it still has its moments as well, so don't be skip this one because of my opinion. I would probably buy this cd again, because overall, it was an awesome cd to listen. It's just strange how they pull off such an original sound so well. A must buy for fans of any emo genre (screamo etc.) Great cd! And I got it for only 10$ awesome buy!