The Silence In Black And White review by Hawthorne Heights

• Released: Jun 1, 2004
Hawthorne Heights: The Silence In Black And White

First time I ever heard about Hawthorne Heights was when I was checking out the set-up for the stages for the '05 Warped Tour. Their name stood out to me and I decided to look them up on Purevolume. I listened to Ohio Is For Lovers and was blown away. Later that week I went out and bought the CD. I knew it was going to be good but when I got it from the store and listened through it for the first ten times I was blown away by the excelence. The coolest things are that they revolutionized the triple guitar attack, and no they're not from the South. They used this force to layer the sound and it's smooth as silk. The screaming may make some people hate it but it truley adds to the excitment of the song.

The lyircs were not hard at all to understand except for sometimes in Silver Bullet. But otherwise the lyrics were like a painting from the Renisance era. A lot of people take the "So Cut My Wrists And Black My Eyes" line a bit to serious and think it's about suicide but in the liner notes of the re-issue of it JT comments on the song it was about the bands girlfriends and that HH is a band who does not approve of suicide. JT's voice was great on all the songs and when he was calm it was all corny and shit it actually sounded real.

This album is great compared to most other albums under the emo category. It is farily average to what I would call musical ledgends like the Ramones, the Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Aerosmith, and Queen. The greatest songs are Dissolve And Decay, Niki FM, The Transition, Silver Bullet, Screenwriting An Appology, Ohio Is For Lovers, and Speeding Up The Octaves. If someone was to steal this album not only would I buy a new copy, I would find the person who stole it and beat the shit out of them.