The Silence In Black And White review by Hawthorne Heights

• Released: Jun 1, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Hawthorne Heights: The Silence In Black And White

I bought this album solely based on hearing one song from it: Ohio Is For Lovers. I think I can safely say that that one song is probably the highlight of the album. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the album is awful; far from it. I listened to the album for the first time and loved it. But the next day, I couldn't remember which song was which, and nothing really stood out in my mind. The songs, while good, are all a bit "samey," I could listen to them seperately and love them, but together, on one album, I soon became bored. The album I bought came with a DVD I have yet to check out (I'll keep you posted) and a booklet which gives a summary of how each song was conceived, which is a pretty nifty idea, if you're like me and find that thing interesting. The songs themselves were good, and I'd listen to them any day. However, I'm not sure putting them all on this album was the best idea, as they all seem to merge into one, which didn't give a lasting impression of each individual song.

The lyrics to the songs on this album are clever and touching. The anguish, pain and torment they convey really fit with the screaming and heavy music played with them. Not much to say about the lyrics, really. They tell stories of love, of pain, of music, the stories behind each song come with the CD so I don't feel a need to explain them really! The vocals on this are amazing, I really love the singer's voice, both singing and screaming, it sent shivers down my spine on several occasions.

Overall, this album is OK. I have better albums that are much more memorable, however this could be a lot worse. I think the main problem here is the order of the songs, they blend into each other and most of them sound quite similar. However, the album does have it's good points, and some amazing songs. The lead vocals also really bring the songs to life. The instruments on the song are brilliant and well-played. If I lost this album, I don't think I would buy it again, although I would maybe give Hawthorne Heights another chance and buy "If only you were lonely", which I don't own at present. The album isn't brilliant, but it isn't awful, either. If you enjoy HH, I would still recommend the album to you, but I probably wouldn't advise listening to it all the way through, maybe listening to the songs seperately when you put your iPod on shuffle if you have one.

Sneak King
    itry_itry
    ok fair enough being an emo band, i like some emo music, but to be honest these guys have no talent and all there shit sounds the same, if only you were lonley is 100 times better but it still sounds like shit.
    Something-Cool4
    Kalas : bleh they're as bad as my chemical romance. i mean god why can't at least half of modern music be innovative and not just marketed at getting sales.
    My Chemical Romance is one of my favorite bands. so shut the **** up. now back to the cd, I enjoyed it alot but it kinda got old. They sound great in studio but they need a lotta work live. Although they have gotten a little better live since their second album.
    photo-of-nothin
    yeah.. thats why they have an album and you dont.
    QuantumMechanix
    Ac/Dc dude, stop comparing HH with TBS. "where you want to be" is way better than "the silence in black and white"
    Smitty101
    Maybe you'll learn to shut the fu ck up? Oh dear i wish you would. They're a good band, but i've heard better. I like "If Only You Were Lonely" better though.
    tehjnest
    Kalas
    bleh they're as bad as my chemical romance. i mean god why can't at least half of modern music be innovative and not just marketed at getting sales. i blame all the producers out there that just want to make some money and only sign crappy bands that will do whatever the producer says. and why the hell don't they use their 3 guitarists! you would assume they'd be a least a little good since them. iron maiden is crying right now.
    padwaxk88
    enjoyed 1/2 the album..only a few tracks stand out..but still im a complete metal head but still love this 1/2 album
    marktuazon
    ok im really new to this..ok so posting "hate" comments shouldnt be thought of as that. if someone reads these comments and sees only "omg this album rules" comments then decides to buy the album based off these comments but then realizing it wasnt as good would be greatly disappointed...what im saying is i believe these "hate" comments are neccessary but not to the point of spam (ex. terrible album-i dont really see that as a hate comment so i would reconsider buying this cd) but "emo kids suck" now that is something to get mad about. so my opinion=this band is pretty good but ive heard better screaming.
    Death2pop666
    i just think these guys sound like a crappier version of thursday on alot of their songs, but the screaming is worse and they can wrtie as well as thursday. a little to emo and not enough real emotion to the songs if u no what i mean.
    kaalplaysguitar
    emo kids are ****ing faggots because they will always be pussies but take out the lyrics and damn that some tight music
    BenFoffenbock
    I have to say, I'm not really a fan of thier lyrics. Like in the song "Ohio Is For Lovers," they say "Cut my wrist and black my eyes" which, in other words would simply be "Kill me" and I don't like that because it may encourage kids to become emo. But, the singers make up for the horrible lyrics
    Why did you give the lyrics 10 then?
    Something-Cool4
    gtr-boy : OMG best album ever but my god people that say they hate emos or they cant go through this album or gay and jelous that they dont look good with eyeliner on ( im wearing it right now )
    Whoever writes omg and wheres eyeliner is a ****in faggot
    thereverendsoup
    Hating on "emo kids" over the internet is lame. Seriously. Get a life, or go back to high school where crap like that actually matters. I don't like this band much, but I have to feel for them a bit after all the crap Victory Records put them through.
    jmh886
    gtr-boy wrote: OMG best album ever but my god people that say they hate emos or they cant go through this album or gay and jelous that they dont look good with eyeliner on ( im wearing it right now )
    ...wow, i really hope youre kidding or 13 yrs old
    aut.RiPPeR
    To all of you: HH aren't emo! That complete bullshi*. Go out and listen to some real emo or screamo. It's a pity for the genre to call this screamo.... Guys you are .....
    Metallica Fan08
    I have a brown ribbon you know what that's for? EAT SHIT MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!! And save music too, burn cds of shitty music and download it for free off the internet just to make them go broke. They shouldn't be famous anyway.
    zwenny
    The first song I've heard of them was "Ohio Is For Lovers", too, but as i heard the CD i tended to "Niki FM". This song impressed me so hard, because there are so many different beats, so nice switches between quite and loud parts and it's so cool that the singing in the verse works against the beat (i hope you understand what i try to say withg this;)
    Sneak King
    rg7aaron wrote: if its not emo than what is it, im puzzeled, i call it a modern boy band, a sad and depressed nsync.
    notice where I called them a pop-rock band? Where I work they always listen to this shitty xm channel that plays mostly pop-rock. Sometimes FOB, Hawthorne Heights, or Panic at the Disco come on and they fit in perfectly. They really are no different than any other pop-rock, its just how they are marketed. If you listened to real emo you would realize why none of these bands can be remotely called emo.
    Devious_moo_moo
    Devious_moo_moo wrote: nigguh_please wrote: well they're richer than you'll ever be so shut the **** up bitches
    Oops sorry for the double post I meant to hit shift enter. But yeah you can't tell me that not one person on this website will become successful.
    photo-of-nothin wrote: tehjnest wrote: Maybe they'll learn how to write real songs or learn how to play instruments next time yeah.. thats why they have an album and you dont.
    And to you just because you play your instrument well doesn't mean you will be famous. I mean look at bands like MCR and this band they have crappy guitarist and they are famous
    rg7aaron
    Sneak King wrote: why so many comments about emo on a review for a cd by a band who aren't even emo? Neither are MCR. For ****s sake listen to some You & I, Circle Takes the Square, Saetia, and realize that you have no idea what emo really is. And as for this cd, I don't like it at all. I'm not a fan of pop-rock, though.
    A monkey
    i would rather be emo than a metalhead just because everyone hates emo kids and id rather be hated for something im not than loved for something im not