The Silence In Black And White review by Hawthorne Heights

• Released: Jun 1, 2004
Hawthorne Heights: The Silence In Black And White

The Silence in Black and White is the debut album by American rock band Hawthorne Heights, released in 2004 through Victory Records. The album title comes from a lyric in the song Nikki FM. This album has a lot of emotional depth and and offers a wide variety of sounds ranging from softer to heavier struming. It's mainly of an Emo, screamo, post-hardcore, pop punk genre. They use a nice mixture of smooth plucking which is very catchy and great to play alone or in a band. I found this CD a few years back and have never looked back. The first song I heard was silver bullet and now I'm a fan of them all. There is also a CD/DVD version of this album and the acousticversions of some of the songs are excellent.

The lyrics in this album are very touching and are able to reach out to me as a listener. The lyrics create a story within each song heavily leaning on romance in the lyrics and a sense of being lost. The lyrics fit with the music very well and I found that with the more touching and emotional lyrics were played with softer pluckings and slow strumming meanwhile the more agressive, frustrational lyrics were played to a harder more angry beat.

This album is up high in my album list and I'm now a huge fan. It's introduced me to a new kind of music whereas before I only used to listen to bands such as papa roach and green day. It's also made me listen to the lyrics in the songs more and have helped my find stories in them. In my opinion the best songs on this album are disolve and decay, nikki fm, screen writing an apology, ohio is for lovers and sand paper and silk. Although they're all good ;P I love the whole album and the depth it has in it. I would definately buy this album again and would definately recommend the CD/DVD version.