A Hot Piece Of Grass review by Hayseed Dixie

• Released: Aug 9, 2005
Hayseed Dixie: A Hot Piece Of Grass

Hayseed Dixie are a bluegrass band, with a mandolin, a banjo, a bass, an acoustic guitar, and (sometimes) a violin. I think originally they released 'a hillbilly tribute to AC/DC' which is a bluegrass cover of popular AC/DC songs. On this new album, they have about half covers of popular rock songs, and half original material. The rock covers are fantastic. They do covers of Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog, as well as Black Sabbath's War Pigs, Green Day's Holiday, Neil Young's Rockin' In The Free World, and even Outkast's Roses. It is great to listen to these songs in the bluegrass style, especially when it is done so well by talented musicians. As for the originals, I'm not a big fan of bluegrass music, but these songs are great. I am a big fan of Duelling Banjos, which I think is a cover, but it shows how talented they are.

Well lyrics for the covers will obviously vary, but in terms of the originals, they are good, although its not something I personally relate to, living in an urban area. I gave it a 4 because of the singers skills. he is a great singer, and a complete hillbilly.

This is the only bluegrass/country artist I own any CDs by, and they are fantastic. My favourite song is the cover of outkast's roses, or possibly Franz Ferdinand's This Fire. I also have another album, 'Let There Be Rockgrass,' which I personally would say is better, but they have definately done well with this new album. If you can catch them live, they are incredible! They look like a complete bunch of hillbillys (because they are), but their love of both rock and bluegrass comes through, especially in the live performance. The mandolin player was rocking out at the front of the stage better than any rock artist I've seen (excluding Slash obviously). If I lost this cd, I would probably not buy it again, as it was 12, I would copy it off someone who I have lent it too. IMO, they are more than just a novelty act, which I originally thought, they are a fantastic band, and very talented.

IrishBaron
    Hayseed Dixie are an amazing band, even better live. If you ever get the chance, go to one of their gigs.
    voodoo-chile
    I saw them in Belfast a few weeks ago. Best gig I've ever been at. Hugely entertaining.
    euan_soad
    Saw them live last Saturday. One of the best gigs I've been to, and I've seen Megadeth, Maiden, Dream Theater etc!