I Am Hollywood review by He Is Legend

• Released: Nov 2, 2004
He Is Legend: I Am Hollywood

Initially, a person would move to describe this band as "screamo," but that really doesn't say enough. He Is Legend uses elements from hard rock, screamo, hardcore, pop/punk, death metal, '80s arena rock, '70s speed pop rock, and even muzak. Most of the riffs consist of Mackenzie Bell playing something heavy and Adam Tanbouz playing a series of tight lead licks. Matt Williams' base riffs are amazing (e.g. "The Creature Walks"). Unfortunately, Steve Bache's drumming suffers from the screamo tendency to not record them very loud, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he is an excellent, creative drummer (e.g. "China White"). The vocals run the gambit from higher-pitched screamo wailing to mid-range and lower-pitched stuff all the way to guttural death metal roaring and soaring screaming. By no means is it your usual screamo walk in the park.

The lyrics, while fitting in very well with the ludicrousity of the band, sometimes are hard to decipher, if they even mean anything at all. However, vocalist Schuylar Croom does a fantastic job of presenting them. The entire album, ten tracks, is divided up into acts, which are further separated into scenes (Act 1, Scene 1: The Seduction, Act 1, Scene 2: Eating a Book, etc). Despite this, the lyrics don't seem to follow any set storyline. Symbolism in the lyrics, and the album's title, sarcastically suggest a hatred of all things Hollywood. However vauge at times, the lyrics are no less catchy or thought-provoking, and range from topics such as little piggies and wolves to a coffee-drinking, movie-discussing monster.

Does it compare to other albums? Yes. The most impressive songs to me were "The Seduction," "China White," and "The Walls Have Teeth." I love how the band seamlessly blends a cornucopia of musical, vocal, and lyrical styles and never loses a thing in the transition. There is very little on the album I could really say that I don't like, except that, as previously noted, the drums are recorded a tad quiet. And if it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Expect to see more from these amazing musicians.

STRAT811
    ^You're wrong. There's definetly a storyline. It's pretty easy to figure it out.