Suck Out The Poison review by He Is Legend

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
He Is Legend: Suck Out The Poison

He is Legend should change their name to He I'd Mediocore and change the name of their new album "Suck Out The Poision" to "Suck Out The Originality." I had very high hopes for this album after the sheer mastery of "I Am Hollywood," but sadly, this album is quite disappointing. Part of what made He is Legend great was their ability to seamlessly blend different styles of music and influences, giving each track it's own individual feel. Some tracks had a punk feel, some tracks had a hardcore feel, some had a metal feel. "SOTP" has none of that, and it becomes fourteen tracks of sheer drudgery. There are flashes of brilliance on "Dixie Wolf," with it's laid-back chorus, "Attack Of The Dungeon Queen" with it's harmonized guitar licks and pinch harmonics, and "Mushroom River" with it's Nirvana-esque feel, but the other tracks get lost in the flow. "China White II" makes very little reference to "China White I" from "I am Hollywood." "(( (Louds," touted by the band for involving a female vocalist, is almost nine minutes of the same grinding riff. True screamo/metalcore fans will love it, but I was a He is Legend fan because they didn't conform to the scene like everyone else.

Schuylar Croom sounds pissed on this album. The lyrics sound like they describe the sixteen-century Salem witch hunts and are interesting at first, but by the fourteenth track they've gotten repetitive. Schuylar's voice was a big concern for me: I thought he was the best vocalist in rock music today, and I think he wore out his voice because he sounds nothing like he used to. His voice is gravelly and he has trouble staying on pitch. Mckenzie Bell's additional screaming is still amazing, however.

Overall, "SOTP" doesn't hold a candle to "I Am Hollywood" or "91025." Certain standout tracks ("Dixie Wolf," "Attack Of The Dungeon Queen," "Mushroom River") are fun, but not worth the price of the whole disc. Sadly, He Is Legend has gotten bland, mediocre, and unoriginal.

.willy.
    SURFraptor7
    this band is probably the most talented rock group out there today, and if you don't believe me, listen to "Martini" from 91025. It's ridiculous. havent heard the new album though...
    .fili.meister.
    i really like HIL, and from what ive heard off of sotp, its pretty good, but i havent heard the entire album, so i dunno kinda sad they got a bad review on here tho
    Infamous_Psycho
    I can play that riff at the begining off "either they're decorated for christmas or they're all dead" its pretty sick New almbum rocks this guy doesn't know what he's talking about even though the singer sounds a bit different if not better
    TooLateForRoses
    .willy. wrote: Thats too bad, I haven't listened to much He Is Legend at all so I cannot comment on how good or bad they are. Or how this CD is. I really like the intro to "Either They Decorated For Christmas Early, Or They're All Dead" Which I believe is off of 91025. I think thats a deadly guitar riff you guys should check it out!
    That's pretty much the only He Is Legend song I really like.
    atlmetal
    derekrck
    i have been a long time fan of he is legend since they are from my home state, and i agree that it is different from their last albums, but the muisic is still amazing, ounce you here all of the new songs played live you will understand.
    papersun87
    atlmetal wrote: I'm outraged guys. Who cares if they've changed? He Is Legend isnt a Screamo/Metalcore band anymore. There a southern rock/ metal band. I hate complaining over categories but they are. And SUTP and Maylene's debut are amazing. It's music for the south from the south.
    Dude, my review is bad because they got TOO screamo/metalcore. Did you even read the thing?
    Bayonetwork
    Bands change. Deal with it. HIL is still my favorite band. They're doing something new.
    ronganator
    i'm from the north and i get the southern dirt rock feel to it and i dig it. you don't have to be from the south to like this music.
    achidlow
    At first, I didn't like this record at all, mainly because I was expecting another "I Am Hollywood", but when I sat down and just listened to "Suck out the Poison" with an open mind, and forgot everthing He is Legend used to be, I realised that hey, this is an AWESOME album! Mind you, it would have been even better if Schuylar Croom had kept his vocal style from "I Am Hollywood" and "91025", SOTP would have been even better. 9/10
    radbot
    Have you even read the lyrics? China White is a song is about him being a gardener who loves the girl that lives there and is getting jelous of family members. He kills them and gets caught and goes to jail: "Now I can't wait until I can sleep in late Maybe I'll miss you then With no garden to tend." China White II is more about the gardener that killed the girl. He killed her and burried her, and she grew into roses... "I am the noises that you hear when you're in bed. And I'll be the last face that you see before you're dead. With your father gone and your mom in chains, I have time to sleep in late. Your mother never looked so good. Your daddy should have brought his gun. Now sleep child, just sleep. And when you wake you will grow at my feet. Yes, when you wake you'll be beautiful again. " How can you say that the song makes little references to the original? ITS ABOUT THE SAME STORY!