Dreamboat Annie review by Heart

• Released: Feb 14, 1976
Heart: Dreamboat Annie

God, no question about it, I heart Heart. The sound is spectacular. You won't be disappointed, trust me. Music Styles? Hmm? H-e double hockey sticks yeeessss! Nancy Wilson, is killer at the guitar. And yes, she is a woman! (score one for women and music). She is the acoustic guitarist, mandolin player, and backing/sometimes lead vocalist. Her sister, Ann, is a beast at the microphone. And she the vocalist for Heart, as well as playing the flute. Roger Fisher, AkA Nancy's boyfriend plays lead electric guitar. and the other guys: the 2nd electric guitarist, drummer, and keyboardist are talented greatly. You'll tend to love this band like I do because they have a lot to deliver in a whopping package.

The lyrics are meaningful, and each song has a different meaning and makes you think, not just right off the bat know what they're talking about and say, "oh, it's about love and leaving my boyfriend/girlfriend or are just so simple and the only significance is that the words rhyme and are cetchy. But for me, not enough for me to actually like the band. Heart is a different story. Ann, when discussing vocals, knows how to deliver. She reminds me of Karen Carpenter(both her voice and looks) but has a strong side. When she sings, it's natural and effortless, but when she raises the high notes, it sounds good and you automatically know it's her. She sings as of Robert Plant, with the same "screaming" and softness.

The only other comparison I can think of is Led Zeppelin because Heart said that they were influenced greatly by them. Zeppelin is like a hard rock band but has a folk side to it, just like a 2-sided mirror. Whenever I listen to Heart, I think of Led Zeppelin. But this doesn't take away their originality, no way. The songs that really stand out are "Dreamboat Annie"-Track 5, "Crazy On You", (A big hit in the 70's with a detailed acoustic intro), "Magic Man", "Sing Child" (one of my favs), and "White Lightning and Wine". I love everything about it...you can hear that each and every one of Heart's members has a talent that contributes as a whole to the band itself. If they all went solo suddenly, I would listen to each and every one of them including the Wilson sisters. But they have their match with this band. The only thing I don't like is that on the album it doesn't sound as full as I would like it, as opposed to youtube, where everything happens live and grabs my attention without watching. And the other Dreamboat Annie songs I really don't know why Heart made 2 other renditions(Dreamboat Annie: Soul of the Sea and Dreamboat Annie: Reprise. Dreamboat Annie(on track 5) is the good one. This is one of my favorite albums, and I would buy it again.

b-rock34
    Great record! Very underrated band with the best voice in rock. Ann can easily do Plant better than Plant has ever done Plant. (Led Zep's my fav band, so no need to flame)
    DJT1973
    I DISAGREE. HEART IS NOT UNDERATED - THEY ARE RIGHT WHERE THEY SHOULD BE. A GOOD BAND WITH ONE GOOD ALBUM. THE MUSIC QUALITY DROPS OF QUICKLY AFTER THE DEBUT ALBUM. ANN DOES HAVE MORE VOCAL RANGE THAN PLANT BUT SO DO ALOT OF SINGERS. ANN DID COVER BATTLE OF EVERMORE AND DID A GOOD JOB BUT SHE WOULDN'T HAVE THE SAME MAGIC THAT PLANT HAD WITH THE HARDER FASTER SONGS OF ZEPP. HAVING SAID THAT I WOULDN'T COMPARE ANYONE TO ZEPPELIN IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. THE COMMENT "ANN COULD EASILY DO PLANT BETTER THAN PLANT HAS EVER DONE PLANT" IS QUITE A BOLD STATEMENT AND A RIDICULOUS ONE, FOR ANYONE, ESPECIALLY A ZEPP FAN...LET ME THINK - PAGE, JONES, BONHAM AND ANN WILSON, I DON'T THINK SO....