Live From The Radio City Music Hall [DVD] review by Heaven & Hell

• Released: Aug 28, 2007
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Heaven & Hell: Live From The Radio City Music Hall [DVD]

I only picked up this DVD because I'm a huge Black Sabbath fan and I was curious to see what Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler were up to these days. I have never heard any of these songs until I bought this DVD. I was very impressed. I guess that the guys were just getting bored and needed something to do when it came to putting this together. I heard that Bill Ward was originally going to take part in this but later backed out. I guess he only wants to do stuff with the original Sabbath. I don't blame him, because the original Sabbath is unstoppable. But Vinnie Appice does a great job on this album. Plus he played on two studio albums with this Sabbath line-up and Bill only played on one so I think that it made more sense to get Vinnie. They really are a great band and they've got a great heavy sound that can't be ignored.

Content — 9
This is a live concert DVD that has a 15 song set list that is in no way disappointing. It also has four short documentaries to go along with it talking about the band, fans, venue and stuff like that. Set list: 01. E5I50/After All (The Dead) 02. The Mob Rules 03. Children Of The Sea 04. Lady Evil 05. I 06. The Sign Of The Southern Cross 07. Voodoo 08. The Devil Cried 09. Computer God 10. Falling Off The Edge Of The World 11. Shadow Of The Wind 12. Die Young 13. Heaven And Hell 14. Lonely Is The Word 15. Neon Knights

Production Quality — 10
Well since this is a recent DVD the quality is very good. The sound and picture is amazing. With the technology of today there really is no excuse for the quality to be bad at all. Whoever put this DVD together did a very impressive job. This DVD is virtually flawless when it comes to quality. I think that a Blue Ray version would be good if it will ever be released and if they aren't so expensive.

Well this isn't really Black Sabbath and in my opinion it's not as good as the original Black Sabbath is. But I recommend it for any real Black Sabbath fans. If you are a Tony Iommi fan you will love it. I guarantee it. Also all of you Ronnie James Dio fans will love it too. The most impressive thing on this DVD is just how well the guys play together. Every member of this band is extremely talented and they need to be given more credit than they have received. After hearing all of these songs I became curious to hear what the original versions sound like. So I went out and picked up The Mob Rules album and I only have one complaint about this DVD now. They didn't play "Country Girl".

killjoy2222
    I guess i'm the only one who disagrees. I got this DVD for Christmas, and I've ALWAYS loved Black Sabbath, they got me into music. But I found the songs and direction to be very unfamiliar. Ozzy may not be the singer that Dio is, but he has a presence that could never be matched. He will always be a legend. BTW, Bill Ward was not in this group either, which was a disappointment. But I'm still happy to own the DVD knowing that some of the money will go to Tony and Geezer, they're great.
    Antipolitik
    Dio is great. Ozzy is unbeatable. Ozzy IS Black Sabbath no matter what songs Dio sings. I like them both but two complete different singers. Ozzy for president!
    masta_shredda
    Zangetsu 101
    bdonovan : Whoever says Dio-era Sabbath is better than Ozzy-era Sabbath is not a true Sabbath fan, I'm sorry. The original is better and always will be better. I don't care if u think Dio's voice is better, but Ozzy WAS Black Sabbath and that will never change.
    MINI_METAL_MAN
    i'm a fan of both ozzy and dio and i cant decide who is better but i have the dvd and its great! i saw them in london aswell
    Anjohl
    It's two diferent bands IMHO. I love the Ozzy era, what metal fan DOENS'T love Children of the Grave and Sweet leaf?! But the Dio era was a very progressive-sound for Sabbath, they really branched out into some great dirging prog rock IMHO. Neon Knights kinda rots me though, and it was their "hit".
    ragepoppa
    masta_shredda wrote: Diggity-Dio is the Shiggity-Shit. i like dio with sabbath way more than ozzy. call me crazy.
    Thats funny...I was looking at your profile and you call your axe "big red"....so do I. You got any videos up on youtube? As a matter of fact, do any of you guys have videos up on youtube? if you do....whats yer name on there so we can check each other out?...mine of course is...."ragepoppa". It would be sweet if UG had a video option on our profiles so we could see each other play.
    ahriman_dk
    i beleive after the awesome ozzy left black sabbath. they sucked and will suck forever!
    vashts80
    Iommi and Butler ARE Black Sabbath. They wrote the majority of the music and lyrics during Ozzy-era Sabbath, and the majority of the music during Dio-era Sabbath (I believe Dio wrote most of his own lyrics during that time period.)
    CustomCustom
    Ive had Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules and consider them classics, an evolving Sabbath maybe not as influential as the early ozzy but still a good listen.
    pfc_mike
    Dio = better singer Ozzy = better frontman the one problem i had with this review was when the reviewer said that Sabbath without Ozzy isn't really Sabbath...thats bullsh*t... as long as Sabbath has Tony Iommi then it will always be Sabbath regardless who sings (and that includes the Tony Martin years too)...
    ragepoppa
    He said..."Never heard of these songs until he bought the DVD." and.."They need to be given more credit than they receive."...lol...Are you kidding me? Who the hell is this dude and how did this make a front page article on UG?
    sheppo
    I saw them here in Perth, Australia and they blew me away as soon as this dvd was released i snatched it up, it bought back so many memories from one of the greatest shows ive ever seen in my entire life DIO is god Iommi is spectacular geezer is unstoppable and Vinny grooves like a MOFO i would give this dvd 10/10 no 11/10 anyrock/metal fan must have this show in their collection
    lcf218
    i saw them i plymouth a cople of months ago ang dio's voice was amazing, ive never herd such a great live singer, so i must check out this dvd.
    recliner33
    Yeah the guy who did this review did a great job. And country girl is the best Sabbath song with Dio. But the original Sabbath is still 10 times better.
    666Sabbath666
    They were definitely very good when I saw them live, except the song "I" I can't stand that song. And by the way: Tony Martin > Any other Sabbath singer IMO They are all great though
    Infuscos
    Looks amazing, i saw them in england. Were 'kin great. Will definately get this =]
    Zangetsu 101
    Dio with Sabbath >>>>> Ozzy Sabbath Ozzy solo >> Dio solo (only because of the 3 Rhoads Albums) Also Dio's voice >>>>> Ozzy's voice. My opinion anyway. I might look into this dvd.
    limefan913
    Both the Dio era and Ozzy era were amazing. I love the direction Dio brought in. They're 2 very different singers. I saw this on VH1 classic... well part of it, it was clearly edited to be shorter, but I'll have to pick this up eventually.
    Fi-Fi
    Kylix wrote: This DVD's awesome. And Dio is so much better than Ozzy.
    Awaken
    I saw them in Montreal, amazing show, have the DVD as well, well worth the money
    glynsgoods
    Fi-Fi wrote: Kylix wrote: This DVD's awesome. And Dio is so much better than Ozzy. Finnaly someone who shares my opinion, don't hate the guy, just like dio way more
    same, maybye i whould like ozzy if he wasnt so drug ****ed lol. still like then both but i like dio better
    Underjoggle
    I like that they went with "Heaven and Hell" as the band name, because it really does seem like Dio Sabbath is a totally different band than Ozzy Sabbath.
    bdonovan
    GNRrockslife
    the5thhorseman
    GNRrockslife wrote: bdonovan wrote: Whoever says Dio-era Sabbath is better than Ozzy-era Sabbath is not a true Sabbath fan, I'm sorry. The original is better and always will be better. I don't care if u think Dio's voice is better, but Ozzy WAS Black Sabbath and that will never change. Excuse me, but who the **** are you to say that I'm not a "real Black Sabbath fan" cause I like Dio era better? I've seen both line ups live, Ozzy once and Dio twice and the Dio era had so much that the Ozzy era didn't, such as an all over commanding stage presence, and a good singer. Ozzy should just stick to his solo stuff instead of make a bad rep for Sabbath in the years they have left. The only way I would want to see Ozzy back in Sabbath is if god forbid Dio died. Anyways, saw H&H twice in September and one of those shows was in Dio's hometown which was a nice little treat. If you like ANY Sabbath this DVD is worth checking out.
    +1 Ask me who's a better fit for Sabbath 10 years ago and I say Ozzy...but it's not 10 years ago. Dio blows poor Ozzy out of the water anymore, and I'm glad Geezer and Iommi are hooking up with Dio and Appice for a new album.
    the5thhorseman
    I am the Drake
    When I think of Black Sabbath I think of Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward. But if I had to pick one of them to define what Black Sabbath is it would have to be Tony Iommi.
    bdonovan
    GNRrockslife wrote: bdonovan wrote: Whoever says Dio-era Sabbath is better than Ozzy-era Sabbath is not a true Sabbath fan, I'm sorry. The original is better and always will be better. I don't care if u think Dio's voice is better, but Ozzy WAS Black Sabbath and that will never change.Excuse me, but who the **** are you to say that I'm not a "real Black Sabbath fan" cause I like Dio era better? I've seen both line ups live, Ozzy once and Dio twice and the Dio era had so much that the Ozzy era didn't, such as an all over commanding stage presence, and a good singer. Ozzy should just stick to his solo stuff instead of make a bad rep for Sabbath in the years they have left. The only way I would want to see Ozzy back in Sabbath is if god forbid Dio died. Anyways, saw H&H twice in September and one of those shows was in Dio's hometown which was a nice little treat. If you like ANY Sabbath this DVD is worth checking out.
    And this is coming from a guy who's favorite band has a bitch frontman. You may like Dio better, like most people here, and I like him too but not for Sabbath. Statistically, Ozzy in Sabbath had much more success than Dio has had in Sabbath or "Heaven and Hell". Paranoid went 4x platinum in the US and 6x platinum in the UK, while Dio era Sabbath has yet to make over 2x platinum in a single album. O but who cares about statistics, they don't prove shit right?
    the5thhorseman : Oh, and bdonovan, Ozzy isn't Black Sabbath. Tony Iommi is Black Sabbath. Any 'true' Sabbath fan would know that.
    I was referring to the vocalists. Of course Iommi is Black Sabbath. He's written most of the music for the band. But you can't have a band without a good vocalist.
    Zangetsu 101 : And who are you to state such a ridiculous opinion? Oh wait, that was your opinion huh? This is the internet, no one gives a **** about your opinion, likewise mine.
    Obviously you give a shit about, because you replied to my post.