The Devil You Know review by Heaven & Hell

• Released: Apr 28, 2009
Heaven & Hell: The Devil You Know

17 years, since the last album by this line up and 14 years since the last album by Black Sabbath. Now, 'The Devil You Know' hit's selves and what a wait! But it was completely worth it. As you know, Tony, Ronnie, Geezer and Vinny were touring in the Metal Masters tour under the name 'Heaven and Hell' because they were doing Dio-year albums only. No Ozzy, no Martin, just Dio. When they finished, they started working on a new album, 'The Devil You Know', but you already knew that, didn't you? Right? Anyway, this album will go past your expectations, wait for you to catch up, but starts running again because you're too far behind. (I know, kinda corny) The sound of this album is amazing from the first drum beat to the last chord by Tony and Geezer. When I first put the disc in my stereo, I jumped alittle bit, but that was because the volume was too loud, so I though. I wasn't expecting a good solid intro by Vinny. I was right to the point, hard and heavy. I knew that I was in for a ride. There is no weak song on the album that sounds 'just good', everyone is excellent. Every little void is filled by either Tony or Geezer. The only fault with the sound is Vinny. I'm sorry to say that he is to stiff with the patterns he chooses. Most of the reviews I've read about him rubbed off me that way as well. But at first you will not notice it at all until you pay attention to him. Vinny, though, is still rock solid, just needs to work on some more dynamic patterns.

Maybe some of you know that I don't pay much attention to the lyrics, but I'll give it a shot. 'Fear' is about how we, as a civilization, have evolved, but we are afraid of the creations we make. Now 'Bible Black', I think it means, how region can be very confusing. Referring to the meaning of 'Heaven and Hell' (song), that if you do bad you go to hell, but if you do good, you go to heaven, simple. Now with that being said, we don't know what is good or bad. The bible is a 'blind' guideline to was is good and bad. It's so confusing that this black bible must be the only answer and obsession over it is the only way to do good. Overall, the lyrics for this album fit very well to the tone of the music, religion, human society, the basic lyrical roots that made these guys legends.

This album is a heavy conclusion to the trio songs of 'Dio-Years'. It's heavy like 'Dehumanizer' and the lyrics are combined of all the albums. Every song is an excellent piece of work. So far I don't have a top, I've just been listen to the whole album but in a different order. Any song you pick will be a good pick. As I mentioned before, the only fault with this album is the stiffness fell in the drums by Vinny, but they are still very rock-solid. I hope H&H decides to come to my part of the world in BC, Canada. I really want to hear this live.