The Devil You Know Review

artist: Heaven & Hell date: 05/05/2009 category: compact discs
Heaven & Hell: The Devil You Know
Released: Apr 28, 2009
Genre: Heavy Metal, Doom Metal
Label: Rhino / Roadrunner (Europe)
The album will be the band's first studio release under the name "Heaven & Hell" with the group members having played with each other previously in an earlier line-up of the band Black Sabbath.
 9.6
 9.1
The Devil You Know Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2009

Sound: I'm personally loving the sound off this album. The first song is Atom & Evil (a play on adam & eve) and it begins with a slow, yet hugely powerful riff from Iommi on guitar. Then Dio comes in on vocals over a chugging heavy riff. The rest of the songs don't fail to impress on this front either, with my personal favourites being Atom & Evil, Rock and Roll Angel, Bible Black and Breaking into Heaven. // 10

Lyrics: As any true Dio fans know, his lyrics are always straight from the heart right through from the outset, Holy Diver right through Strange Highways and Master of the Moon right up until now. He's back again, singing in his paradoxes as always, "I'm here for you, said the spider to the fly, and when you're through you can open your eyes to see." Only one example from Atom & Evil. The verses in all of the songs are massively complimented by Iommi and Geezer's heavy chugging riffs and the choruses just as much so, and Geezer's complex bass patterns don't go unheard throughout. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, it's easily comparable to such early Black Sabbath with Dio albums as Dehumanizer and The Mob Rules due to it retaining the same overall makeup, Geezer Butler on bass, Dio on vocals, Tony Iommi on guitar and Vinnie Appice on drums. As I say, my personal favourites are Atom & Evil, Rock and Roll Angel, Bible Black and Breaking into Heaven. Hopefully this review isn't too biased due to me loving Dio forever, but I've tried to be fair to all partys. Particularly the Dio partys. // 10

The Devil You Know Reviewed by: Smitty370, on may 01, 2009

Sound: 17 years, since the last album by this line up and 14 years since the last album by Black Sabbath. Now, 'The Devil You Know' hit's selves and what a wait! But it was completely worth it. As you know, Tony, Ronnie, Geezer and Vinny were touring in the Metal Masters tour under the name 'Heaven and Hell' because they were doing Dio-year albums only. No Ozzy, no Martin, just Dio. When they finished, they started working on a new album, 'The Devil You Know', but you already knew that, didn't you? Right? Anyway, this album will go past your expectations, wait for you to catch up, but starts running again because you're too far behind. (I know, kinda corny) The sound of this album is amazing from the first drum beat to the last chord by Tony and Geezer. When I first put the disc in my stereo, I jumped alittle bit, but that was because the volume was too loud, so I though. I wasn't expecting a good solid intro by Vinny. I was right to the point, hard and heavy. I knew that I was in for a ride. There is no weak song on the album that sounds 'just good', everyone is excellent. Every little void is filled by either Tony or Geezer. The only fault with the sound is Vinny. I'm sorry to say that he is to stiff with the patterns he chooses. Most of the reviews I've read about him rubbed off me that way as well. But at first you will not notice it at all until you pay attention to him. Vinny, though, is still rock solid, just needs to work on some more dynamic patterns. // 10

Lyrics: Maybe some of you know that I don't pay much attention to the lyrics, but I'll give it a shot. 'Fear' is about how we, as a civilization, have evolved, but we are afraid of the creations we make. Now 'Bible Black', I think it means, how region can be very confusing. Referring to the meaning of 'Heaven and Hell' (song), that if you do bad you go to hell, but if you do good, you go to heaven, simple. Now with that being said, we don't know what is good or bad. The bible is a 'blind' guideline to was is good and bad. It's so confusing that this black bible must be the only answer and obsession over it is the only way to do good. Overall, the lyrics for this album fit very well to the tone of the music, religion, human society, the basic lyrical roots that made these guys legends. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a heavy conclusion to the trio songs of 'Dio-Years'. It's heavy like 'Dehumanizer' and the lyrics are combined of all the albums. Every song is an excellent piece of work. So far I don't have a top, I've just been listen to the whole album but in a different order. Any song you pick will be a good pick. As I mentioned before, the only fault with this album is the stiffness fell in the drums by Vinny, but they are still very rock-solid. I hope H&H decides to come to my part of the world in BC, Canada. I really want to hear this live. // 10

The Devil You Know Reviewed by: Viking-Shredder, on may 05, 2009

Sound: Amazing. I don't know what else to say. From the slow impending doom at the start of "Atom and Evil" to the blasting bass groove of "Double the Pain" to the wonderful lyrics of "Breaking Into Heaven" the sound of this band is an impenetrable fortress. I am a huge fan of Tony's playing and he surely doesn't fail here. The beautiful and yet dark solo in "Bible Black" is great. The fast, in your face, solo on "Eating the Cannibals" is well, in your face! The slow solo in "Rock And Roll Angel" followed by the acoustic solo in the same song absolutely blew me away. I have listened to "Rock And Roll Angel" so many times, just because of the solo. Geezer's bass and Vinny's drums are always there pushing the song along. While there are no weak tracks on the album, some just push a little stronger than others. But once you listen to the CD a second, third, fourth, sixtieth, time all the songs spit in your face and say "You will never amount to how amazing we are." // 10

Lyrics: I could sit here and just type in "Dio" and that should be enough to buy this album solely based on lyrical content. Once again Ronnie's story telling is top notch. As he ages, I swear he is getting better. Not to mention his receding hairline is AWESOME! But let's not get into that. The lyrics are dark, mysterious, magical, and haunting. A caravan of darkness swirls around you as you listen to this man tell stories from dimensions not known. Take a gander at this, "Far beneath the world we missed the sun Why did we believe it shines on everyone so Now we're here to take away your light So you can go forever where the next day's still tonight." Ronnie never fails to blow my mind, and I honestly believe this CD has the best lyrical content he has ever produced. // 10

Overall Impression: I work at the local movie theater on an Air Base in Turkey. So the store here doesn't get many good products. So while I was working, a few buddies of mine busted through the door and said, "Hey man, the BX has Heaven and Hell!" My mouth fell open and I threw money at them as they rushed off to buy it for me. When they got back and gave me the CD, I started reading the lyrics on my break... I don't know why I even try in this life, all the glory has been taken by these guys. The lyrics absolutely melted my face on the spot. Once I got home that night, I put in the CD, and from the first drum beat to the last guitar solo, I was astounded at the sheer power the band throws in your face. And when I say powerful, I am saying sick, twisted, demented, beautiful, deadly songs straight from Hell. "Heaven and Hell truly is 'The Devil You Know'" // 10

Comments