Everything's Watched, Everyone's Watching review by Heavy Heavy Low Low

• Released: Sep 19, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Heavy Heavy Low Low: Everything's Watched, Everyone's Watching

The album starts off with the short but sweet track "This Is Really Testing The Patience I've Never Had", a fast, heavy, vibrant track that gets you ready for the album. The next three tracks, "A, S, V, L, N", "Mall Nutrition", and "Are You Okay Kiddo?", are all songs that the public had heard previously to the album being released, whether in forms of MySpace or their previous EP F--k It! My main problem with this album is the lack of new tracks. Only 4 out of 11 of the tracks had I not heard previous to the album being released. Four tracks which total up to 6 minutes and 12 seconds is not enough material to hold me over. I understand that the band is getting a fresh start with the new label and wants to showcase their best work to their new fans, but c'mon now, 4 new tracks? That does not cut it. The instrumentals on this album are great though. Heavy Heavy Low Low were never the most talented band out there, but they have matured from whence they first began the band, and have definitely improved the quality of their instumentation. Now, the vocals. On previous Heavy Heavy Low Low work, the vocals definitely punched you in the teeth, a mix of deep growling and screeching from vocalist Robbie kept you on the edge of your seat. On the new album, I think Robbie's vocal chords are beginning to go, which is why he moans and groans much more than he used to. Hopefully my statement is untrue, because that would be a shame for a young band's vocalist to lose his stength so early in their career. I can't help but cringe at some of the vocals though, because some of them are just unlistenable. The moaning and groaning gets old by the third or fourth song and becomes quite repetitive by the end of the album.

The band's lyrics are still in tip top form, staying creative and imaginative, the lyrics are often brutal and definitely force you to sustain an open-mind. The track "Are You Okay Kiddo?" boasts the lyrics: "Our guise is that of an apparition/Enthralled in the vanity of self-worship/Our robe our crown as much a part of us/As the very marrow in our bones." The production on the album of course is fantastic. Casey Bates is definitely one of the best producers out there right now, and that is definitely why a lot of bands in the scene are heading his way when they want to record some new material. He blends everything so beautifully and you can hear every note, and every chord as lucid as possible.

Overall, Heavy Heavy Low Low have put out a halfway decent album, with many flaws, but definitely some bright spots, which the band can work on for the future. These guys can definitely go somewhere in the scene and have the potential to do so. Whether they exploit that talent and potential is up to them for now.

StratGod101
    I agree with Craigo HHLL is by far one of the most enjoyable bands i listen to i wouldnt change the album.
    Craigo
    I think this album still owns though. I listen to them every mourning to wake up with. Kick ass.
    Schizopathic
    I was walking into my local hastings, trying to find something new worth listening to, when the words "Norma Jean" caught my eye. I pick up the CD, and it just happens to be this one, with a sticker on the front that says "hits with the intensity of Norma Jean, Converge, and The Blood Brothers", having never heard of the band, I bought the CD just because of the sticker, and I was not at all disappointed. I love this band so much, and I actually like Robbie dragging vocals, I think it kind of keeps you trying to decipher what he's moaning out. I love the hidden acoustic version of "There's a Bat". Good album.
    iquitmyscene13
    Schizopathic
    iquitmyscene13 wrote: These guys partied at one of my friends houses after a show, and tried to give my friend 20 bucks to do one of the guitarists up the butt. Still like this band?
    for those of you who don't speak idiot, this roughly translate into... "I like to make up stories about bands that I don't like, in an appearance to make myself awesome...especially with a name like "iquitmyscene13", it's just because none of the scene kids at my school like me...Now let me go listen to bands like Hinder and Nickleback, instead as good bands like Heavy Heavy Low Low