Only In Amerika Review

8.4
 7.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Only In Amerika Reviewed by: callumfrew97, on august 20, 2013

Sound: Although the band is classed as Rapcore, Rap Metal, Rap Rock and Metal, one has to see that this album has to have its own genre. The sound to this album has been rather controversial and for their fourth album, it had a slightly different style to their previous albums. Whereas some of their other albums were rap and rock based, this album was highly sexually based; leaving the band with reviews such as: "It wants to be a confrontational megaphone in the ear of conservatives, but Jahred's torrential rhetoric is too messy and blatantly offensive to incite anything but superficial anger, and the music - though occasionally explosive - takes a backseat to the ranting." It has to be said that this album was in no-way written by a clean minded group of guys but I must say that I found this album weirdly enjoyable. It compares heavy backing riffs from the lead guitar with the loud drumming and bass, all along with the "gangsta-rap." // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are the part of the album which makes it so unique. The lyrics are heavily sexually based and left the band with a lot of problems from people who thought it was too filthy. From songs such as "Foreplay," "Voices" and "Amerikan Beauty," the lyrics are too explicit for many listeners but the band still manages to keep a large fan-base. The singer, Jahred, does surprisingly have a good range for a rapper. He manages to get the fast raps into their songs but at the same time, he is able to scream and get a real "metal" sound to some of the other songs and their choruses. The lyrics fit well with the riffs and bass-lines and some screaming with some of the solos gives a hard "metal" experience which a lot of bands don't do as well. // 7

Overall Impression: This album doesn't fully compare to anything else I've ever came across. The band has really created a unique sound which one can not get anywhere else from any other bands. The band has some genuine really good songs on the album with fast solos thrown into them. The songs "Raise Hell" and "Represent" are my personal favourites as they are more heavy-metal than sexual. Overall, almost of the songs on the album are amazing and I never find myself skipping a song in my playlist, like with nearly ALL other bands' albums. I love the intense riffs and screaming of the album but there is a downside to the album of which that you can't really listen to them out loud or in public without attracting some weird stares from strangers and/or family. I highly advise heavy rap or metal listeners to at least try this album because I personally would buy this album again if it was lost/stolen!

// 8