Damnation Offering Review

8.7
 6.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Damnation Offering Reviewed by: Reviewer666, on october 26, 2011

Sound: [HELL INC.] is a Metal Band from Munich, Germany, who have been active since November 2006. As any smaller band they've played local clubs and released a couple self-produced demotapes and singles. Their debut album "Damnation Offering" was released April 9th 2010 and features a nice mix of various genres of Metal. You can't quite put the bands sound in a corner, as it varies between slow grooving parts, tight classic metal riffs, new metal influences and some metalcore parts as well. The album's opener "Sacrifice" is a straight-forward beast of a song that lasts over 8 minutes. Track 2 is called "Final Embrace", based on one simple fast riff and a big chorus, only plays for 2 min and 45 seconds. Even though the songs are quite different, they all sound like they're coming from the same band, which is [HELL INC.]'s secret to their own musical personality. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are mainly personal, but open for anyone to identify. "Tonight Reborn" for example is about struggle and survival. "Into The Black", the album's third single, picks up on how humans treat nature and their environment. "Follow Us To Hell", the album's second single, deals with self-struggle not to slip. And "This Holy Sin", as Bass Player and Co-Writer Dani Arrow states, is simply about f*cking. Frontman Gerdi Hell's voice may not be everyone's cup of tea, but certainly is very recognizable and very emotional, and it fits to the songs darkness, gives them some kind of madness in total control. // 8

Overall Impression: If you'd have to compare [HELL INC.] to any other band, you'd have to look at the bands influences. As stated by [HELL INC.] those would lie somewhere between Black Sabbath, Mudvayne, Chimaira, Satyricon, Cradle Of Filth, Rob Zombie and As I Lay Dying. You can certainly hear bits and pieces that will remind you of these artists on "Damnation Offering". The most impressive songs would be the three singles, "Into The Black", "Follow Us To Hell" and "A Pile Of Fragments", as well as the album title-track "Damnation Offering" (listen to the guitar solo) and live-favourites "Mental Distortion", "Shadow Of The Prophet" (which features a funny classic-bavarian-part) and the album openers "Sacrifice"/"Final Embrace". Personally, I love the songwriting and the personal sound this band has. Unfortunately all the songs have been recorded a little too slow and at times the drums were mixed a little loud. If it were stolen/lost, I'd definitely buy it again. Though I'll admit this album has its weak spots, for a debut album it's been done well and I can't wait to see this band grow! // 9

Comments