Sell The Stars review by Hello Tokyo

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Hello Tokyo: Sell The Stars

The story of Hello Tokyo starts from the moment Kat Sugar Plum (vocals) and JohnE Cheeseburger (bass) felt the chemistry back in 2004. Four years later, after Vans Warped Tour 2006 and their single being chosen for Animal Planet series soundtrack, the band is finally releasing their debut LP Sell The Stars. Hello Tokyo defined their genre us power-pop. Yes, I know, nowadays power-pop can be called anything from Green Day to Fall Out Boy. Power pop from Hello Tokyo sounds like Rilo Kiley or Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The album was recorded in the famous Sunset Studios in Hollywood, CA and turned out to be vivacious, loud and contradictory. The songs are full of funky riffs, driving tempo and energy - there is only one ballad out of 11 tracks. The band makes a retro revival to alt rock and pseudo-punk sound with such attributes as cry-baby guitars, echoing vocals that create romantic atmosphere in We Are Running and Your Majesty. At the same time there are a lot of electronic effects in every song that Hello Tokyo successfully mixes with vintage sounds. There is more trash than melody - taking into account the recent fashion for noise, this may be reasonable. Intimidate Me is the stand-out song - it has a bit of 80's funk, groovy bass plus some melodies borrowed from PJ Harvey. Hand to Hold is partly acoustic beautiful ballad and probably the only melodic track on the album. Having minimum instruments and effects, it sounds like a confession.

The lyrics follow the contradictory attitude of the album - over major guitar chords of Vince Vino Kat sings about break-ups and affairs going wrong. The poetry doesn't contain much sense, but it is fine for this music as Kat is shouting out almost senseless phrases. Something like I am happy/ At least I think so/ Everything's better/ When my mind is bigger can mean anything. The most remarkable thing about this band is passionate female vocals. Unfortunately this is not something invented by Hello Tokyo - Kat's attitude and way of singing awakes the memories of long-forgotten Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs, No Doubt's Gwen Stefani and a few other, less famous female vocalists. Hysterical, sometimes waling, sometimes whispering, enchanting and sympathetic - it changes like the mood of any girl.The lyrics follow the contradictory attitude of the album - over major guitar chords of Vince Vino Kat sings about break-ups and affairs going wrong. The poetry doesn't contain much sense, but it is fine for this music as Kat is shouting out almost senseless phrases. Something like I am happy/ At least I think so/ Everything's better/ When my mind is bigger can mean anything. The most remarkable thing about this band is passionate female vocals. Unfortunately this is not something invented by Hello Tokyo - Kat's attitude and way of singing awakes the memories of long-forgotten Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs, No Doubt's Gwen Stefani and a few other, less famous female vocalists. Hysterical, sometimes waling, sometimes whispering, enchanting and sympathetic - it changes like the mood of any girl.

More than anything the album reminds an exposure. There is such an intense in the tracks that you might even feel tired of it after the third listen. This is not the record that would grow on you; unfortunately it may disappoint you more and more each time you listen to it. The statement they make with the first track is very loud, but it doesn't go anywhere after it. Though there are a few highlights on the record, it leaves you wishing for more. I would say the guys reached the aim of a debut album - Sell The Stars is a solid record with good production and a touch of style. Though creating the CD they looked back at their favorite bands so much that forgot to add something of their own (at this point they might as well call themselves Hello, Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Hello, No Doubt!)