Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! review by hellogoodbye

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
hellogoodbye: Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!

I was very surprised when I first heard this CD because I thought the album would sound like Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn, their first single which is a third-wave emo/synth-rock song (aka, pop music crap) That gets occasional play time on MTV 2. To my surprise and delight, Z.A.V.D. is nothing like that at all, it is instead a delicious music speedball, one part new wave electronica, and one part indie rock and roll. Most young Southern California bands sound very much the same, but Z.A.V.D. is a good change up from high pitched whiney seventeen year old bands that seem to dominate the clubs lately.

The lyrics are fairly generic through most of the album. There's nothing to midblowing or original but that nothing to mind blowing or original. The final track Two Weeks in Hawaii, a song about loneliness and despair in paradise, shows that later in their careers, they might turn into a serious band with some fairly deep lyrics. For now however, the lyrics are fairly shallow.

Hellogoodbye is a new new-wave band that is influenced by eighties and nineties music as opposed to the old new wave bands that were influenced by sixties music like The Who and The Beatles. I recommend this album to people that are getting tired of the high-pitched whiney bands dominating the so-cal rock and roll scene and are sick of the classics. It's a very refreshing new sound. Although I have a bootleg, I will definitely get the actual album when it comes out (go to hellogoodbye.net to hear the first two minutes of all the songs on the album).

bropark08
    sounds good to me, ill buy it after that review! id prefer buying that new slightly stoopid live cd coming out. stoopid is f'ing awesome
    Stop Messin'
    I'm not sure what the hell this is, but i sure like the album name lol. Maybe i'll give them a listen.
    toobsok
    name of the band is a bit of a turn off. havent heard their stuff though.
    kyle5000
    Hello Goodbye is a good song... This album sounds interesting though.
    electric7
    the review for this is reallyu hard hitting and i agree with it. most band's lyrics are shallow today, not really baised of anything. hellogoodbye is just another quickly-signed-radio-pop- friendly band, and if this is all they can offer, then its not going to last long.