Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! review by hellogoodbye

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
hellogoodbye: Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!

Hellogoodbye is definitely not a brilliant band in any sense, but the first time I listened to them (after my older brother bought the cd) I couldn't help smiling and tapping my foot along. Their sound is very poppy, very electronic-techno, and has a lot of computer-generated effects. At the time, this was a sound I didn't listen to often, but I was pleasantly surprised. "Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!" is not an album I would listen to over and over again, instead I find myself not listening to Hellogoobye for months before digging out the CD again and playing the songs and enjoying them all over again.

The album is titled "Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!" but that doesn't mean their songs will be about these things. Many bands title their albums strange or random things, and their songs have nothing to do with the album title. This is true of Hellogoodbye... do not expect any mention of zombies, aliens, vampires, or dinosaurs in any of their lyrics. The lyrics are shallow, but the shallow lyrics are very purposeful and fun. Hellogoodbye rhymes for the sake of rhyming and sings loves songs for the sake of singing love songs. It almost seems as if the band makes fun of other "tragic and deep" love songs by instead writing love lyrics that are playful and corny. If you think that Hellogoodbye was serious about these lyrics "touching people" you are wrong, you are expecting way too much out of a band that is simply having fun. The lyrics match the music: simple and easy to play. Forrest Kline has an okay voice, but the generated effects add something that he as a vocalist lacks.

I believe that Hellogoodbye has a resemblance to many bands; The Click Five, Weezer, The All American Rejects, etc. I would like to see them expand past playful love songs and see them do something a little more meaningful because I enjoy great lyrics that tell a story, but at the same time their playfulness on the album is what led to my liking of this band in the first place. Sometimes I need a break from the overly written love songs that artists write, and once in awhile I would like to listen to something shallow and silly. Yes, I would buy this CD again if it were stolen or lost (because I did exactly that). This is a CD that people are either going to love or hate, but I have found that many guys actually enjoy this album...do to the fact that the love songs are playful and fun (instead of serious). If I play this in my car and my boyfriend is listening, we have fun with it. Overall, if you're looking for love songs that lack seriousness and a fun, upbeat sound...Hellogoodbye can provide that for you.