Gambling With The Devil review by Helloween

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
Helloween: Gambling With The Devil

With Gambling With The Devil, Helloween blast back into the underground metal scene full-steam ahead. It begins with one of their usual album intros which could, this time, creep out the squeamish. Then Kill It is segued into and Andi's vocals and the 12/8 time beat destroys everything in the room. This is true new Helloween. Even more mainstream-sounding songs like As Long As I Fall hold their own on the new observation by this power metal behemoth. This is Helloween's song-writing at very, very close to it's best. Despite the dumbass AllMusic reviewer's experience with this album, I thought it was a really fun adventure into the realm of Helloween.

Andi Deris has been the best singer Helloween ever had for the fifteen years he has been with the band. He has also evolved very well as a singer up to this point in the band's carrer. On previous albums such as Dark Ride and Rabbit Don't Come Easy, Deris has experimented heavily with multiple vocal styles. He utilizes the vocals he pioneered on those albums on GWTD in killer tracks such as Kill It, with the high-pitched verses. The overall lyrical theme seems to be all about destroying and ignoring everything that annoys you in life and that you should follow your heart, not trends. Ireally think Can Do It should have been the last track, I really wanted that one at the end after I heard the whole album.

Helloween have evolved to an extreme extent over their careers and the product of today shows just that. The sonic evolution following the departures of Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen has built up to become something really special for this buch of guys. Although this album may not be as well polished as, say, The Dark Ride, or Time of the Oath, it still may be considered in and of itself, a classic. Best tracks: Kill It, Can Do It, Final Fortune, The Saints, As Long As I Fall, and Bells of the Seven Hells. Yay!

gorczynskir1
    this album rocks through and through i wish people would stop referencing michael kiske because we know that he was good but andi deris is the man now and no one cares about the past albums its this one when we are reviewing it over guitars are great sascha and michael have become a great combo and deris has really formed into a great singer ever since dark ride production is fricken outstanding on this album too
    delt
    (ok, just registered an account to respond here...) Hey **** you, andi deris is an awesome singer. Maybe not quite as good as hansen or kiske (that guys voice gets on my nerves.. has a whiney/faggy quality to it) but most of their stuff has been pretty much top notch ....yes, even with the dreaded Andi that everyone .HATES. for no ****ing reason.. other than, maybe, he's half a notch less than kai... personally still prefer him to michael kiske -not counting technical aspects such as pitch range usw... but that's just me.....