Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part I review by Helloween

Helloween: Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part I

If you haven't heard of Helloween, or at least the impact they have had on the metal scene, where have you been the last 20-odd years? With influence heard with everyone from Altaria to Avenged Sevenfold, this is really the album which spawned the entire power metal genre. After mixed reactions to their first album, Walls Of Jerico, Helloween came back with the first of a two part Different to anything around at the time. Riffs, a unique, exciting lead technique, creative song writing all feature heavily in this album.

There is an overall positive theme with the lyrics, which are all written well (extra credit given as English is not, like many great metal bands, the first language of the given vocallist). Lyrics not only fit the music, but we are lucky that Helloween preceed the power metal stereotype of swords, dragons and "mighty warriors" (don't get me wrong, I love Rhapsody, Dragonforce et al, it's just refreshing to hear something different). Michael Kiske's vocals are just amazing and fit the mood of the album well.

I don't like it when a review has straight 10's for everything, but this album really does have everything. It's catchy, it's got well written songs, clever lyrics, it's even got a well executed intro track. There really is nothing I dislike about this album, except the unnecessary bonus track of the 5min version of Halloween on the expanded version, which I really dislike as it (obviously) misses out so much.