Master Of The Rings review by Helloween

• Released: Jan 1, 1994
Helloween: Master Of The Rings

This is an earlier Deris album when the band still kept Mike Wiekath and Markus Grosskopf for all the years after Kai Hansen and Michael Kiske left. There is much palm muting rhythm guitarring in the verses on this album which is what the band did a lot of in the Deris Years. There is an orchestral intro, like on every Helloween album, which immediately blasts into Sole Survivor, one of the album's best along with Mr. Ego, and Perfect Gentleman. The band's utilization of keyboards adds a much needed element for true power metal.

I really think that ultimately Andi Derid has been the best vocalist for this band. Michael Kiske was good when he was in the band but I really think Deris is much more dynamic in both his delivery and the multitudes of varying vocal styles. His creativity as a melody-maker gives him a certain edge over Kiske. Another thing I like about Deris is he can play guitar so he writes as well as sings. His best performance is easily Perfect Gentleman.

With Keeper of the Seven Keys being a staple on everyone's CD rack, a lot of Helloween's other material doesn't get as much attention as it should. Master of the Rings for instance is an overlooked essential for the band and I think is right behind Dark Ride which is my favorite Helloween album. This is definately worth purchasing but if you don't have Dark Ride get that one first. Best songs: Perfect Gentlaman, Mr. Ego, Sole Survivor, The Game Is On.

shadowsoverhell
    theotherguy7145
    The first one i got was 'Better Than Raw' and its still one of the best i own
    xHellbound
    I can never find anything except "Best Of" or compilations in the US.
    shadowsoverhell
    so far i've been able to track down Walls of Jericho expanded edition and Keeper part 1 expanded edition, the latter of which I was lucky enough to find in the massive Virgin records store while on vacation in New York, though unfortunately i didn't have enough spending money on me to get that and Master of the Rings here, and the other 6 CDs i hadnt found anywhere else. of course, if you can order stuff online, that makes it so much easier.
    l)ragonForce
    xHellbound wrote: theotherguy7145 wrote: shadowsoverhell wrote: helloween is the shit. the only problem is trying to find any of their albums that arent Chameleon or Pink Bubbles Go Ape The first one i got was 'Better Than Raw' and its still one of the best i own I can never find anything except "Best Of" or compilations in the US.
    OMG i hate "Best Of" cd's
    Neverhead666
    I have Walls Of Jericho, and cant find anything else from them.
    ValenceElectron
    l)ragonForce wrote: OMG i hate "Best Of" cd's
    hell yeah dude me too. A lot of bands (like Atreyu) have used them to get out of a record contract quicker or just to make the singles available for more casual listeners as opposed to diehard fans.
    Jøhnny
    Why are you guys having problems finding Helloween's albums? I thought they were a quite damn popular band so their albums should be easy to find. At least I can find basically all their albums really easily. Come to Finland, we sell good music here!