Hellyeah review by Hellyeah

• Released: Apr 10, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Hellyeah: Hellyeah

Hellyeah is the new band from former Pantera and Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul, who you may know best as the brother of Dimebag Darrel. The band consists of Vinnie Paul, members of Mudvayne and Nothingface. I myself was eager to hear what this band could produce seeing as I'm a big Pantera fan and was curious to see how Vinnie got on without Dimebag. So about the album, the album was recorded in Dallas, Texas and was finished at the end of January this year. The album tries to give of that classic metal sound that Pantera managed to achieve but unfortunately in my eyes, they've either tried to hard or not enough as the album isn't too great at all. Overall it's a well recorded album but to be honest, it isn't that great and Chad Gray isn't the best of vocalists.

The lyrics featured on this album are slightly different to that of Pantera, alhough some you can't pick up due to Chad's shouting but on the more softer ballad types such as "Alcohaulin' Ass" and "Thank You" the songs give a more melodic style of singing and more sympathetic lyrics. Thank You is a big shout out to all the bands lost family members which is actually a good song compared to the rest. Most of the lyrics fit in well with the music but it's the shouting that really ruins the songs as to be honest, Chad can't sing nor shout and that factor unfortunatly makes the songs rather unlistenable, although they you can, to me it's quite bad.

Overall, this album has nothing on any of Vinnie's previous efforts, and the Mudvayne guys do slightly better and I've never heard of Nothingface so I can't comment on them. The most impressive songs are "Waging War" and "Thank You", most of the others in my opinion are very repetitive and get tiresome easily. The facts I like about the album are Vinnie is getting back in the game after the tragic death of Dime and it's always nice to hear his simple yet effective drumming. The hate I have of this album is the vocals and guitars, they don't sound very appealing and the guitars sound more suited for say Slipknot such as the intro riff on "Rotten To The Core". If this album were either lost or stolen, I really wouldn't bother buying or download it again, it's a decent effort but they really had so much expectation that it's a seriously big letdown.

boyan89
    this album kicks some major ass...i dont get why it would let you down Pantera,Mudvayne and Nothingface=Equals amazing bands and this band is amazing too...
    SOADa
    il agree with u that ive never hjerd of nothinface but i meen c'mon.....these songs on this album kick ass....its a new sound that u might need to get used to or can pick up right away...i like this sound alot...im still listening to their songs over and over again...i dont get tired of good music easily...
    Xecks13
    Im liking it a good amount... Like two of the songs are meh but I love Thank You soo much.. Id prolly give it like...7.8
    blakiss
    I LOVE VINNIE/GREG/CHAD i've never heard nothing face, but Mudvayne and Pantera kick some FUCKIN ass
    crowbarsludge
    Oh yeah Chad is a great singer, and the musicians on this cd are some of the best from pantera, mudvayne and nothing face
    crowbarsludge
    this cd rocks. I think it is a great effort. About nothing face they have about 6 cd's out. A lot of the bands are from the nola scene. underground hardcore metal. Crowbar, Acid Bath, Eyehategod, Soilent Green, Super Joint Ritual, Outlaw Order ETC. happy 420
    Renka
    In my opinion, Hellyeah mixes the best part of three bands, and the result is nothing short of awesome. Their sound is very modern, and the variety of the songs on the album is remarkable. They range from heavy and furious tracks such as Hellyeah and Matter of Time, to more ballad-like songs such as Alcohaulin' Ass and Thank You, yet they manage to tie together all songs to great effect. There is not a single track on this album that I don't like, and it still manages to stay varied enough for you not to grow bored with it any time soon. All in all, a great CD and one that I will keep listening to for a long time to come. 9/10
    SOADa
    ill agree with u that ive never herd of nothingface but i meen c'mon...these songs on this album kick ass....its a new sound that u might need to get used to or can pick up right away...i like this sound alot even just cuz it has alot of different influences mixed together and different styles somehow it all can come together and put a good sound up....sure some songs arent as good but most albums are like that...im still listening to their songs over and over again...i dont get tired of good music easily...
    RedHotFan182
    BladeSlinger wrote: You rated it low because it didn't sound like Pantera but....This isn't Pantera, this is Hellyea..
    yeah you compare everything in the review to pantera like bladeslinger said its hellyeah not pantera
    Cafas
    Maybe he just thought it sounded bad. Jesus, you guys are insecure.
    BladeSlinger
    theduke92
    5? Are you kidding? I bought it at 10 this morning, still cant stop listening to it. I admit, some of it could have been better, but come on man. It deserves at the very least an 8.
    Dunatic08
    Dunno why you werent thrilled with it personally I thought it was really good but then again I always liked some of mudvaynes stuff and who the hell doesnt like pantera. Never really heard of nothingface but none the less band rocks.
    Cadj
    it was leaked on torrent sites on the 3rd mate
    ready2breakdown
    thats a bit of a shocker that it let you down... Since its NOT EVEN OUT YET I wonder if I'll like, but i'll have to wait and see.