Stampede review by Hellyeah

• Released: Jul 13, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Hellyeah: Stampede

For better or worse, the supergroup Hellyeah isn't straying too far outside of its comfort zone on the sophomore album Stampede. While this move to stay within the same creative realm won't likely alienate the band's set fan base, it also won't earn many new eager listeners, either. In many ways Stampede's effect is as heavily dependent upon the lyrical messages as the music. So if you love the idea of entire songs devoted to strippers or drinking/partying, Stampede will be your cup of tea. Stampede certainly bounces between two worlds: Southern rock with a good deal of grit and the metal fare you might hear from vocalist Chad Gray and guitarist Greg Tribbett deliver on a regular basis in Mudvayne. The opening single Cowboy Way, as the title suggests, caters to Southern roots, but it is certainly still filled to the gills with crunchy distortion and infectious hooks. Hell of a Time is without a doubt the standout, however, with a bluesy slide and instantly memorable melody line. When Hellyeah ventures into more straightforward metal territory on tracks like The Debt That Pays and It's On, the tone of the album shifts toward a darker, heavier vibe, with even a Dimebag element to the riff work at times. At other end of the spectrum are acoustic tracks and generally mellower numbers that focus more upon the introspective lyrics. Better Man features some beautifully executed acoustic work from Tribbett and Tom Maxwell, who also incorporate tasteful, restrained electric leads throughout. It's not necessarily the most original in terms of melody, but this is one of the cases where the song is more about the message (overcoming your past to become a more respectable person, in this case), and that open-book mentality tends to outshine any mediocrity that might be present in the music.

It's always refreshing to hear artists step away from predictable rock topics to dig into their most personal histories/pain, and a track like Better Man is certainly a heartfelt, honest look at a painful childhood. Unfortunately, rock clichs usually take over the bulk of the tracks on Stampede. It's forgivable and passable for the most part, but you do have to cringe at least a little when you hear Gray sing lines like, She ain't built for virtue; She's built for sinShe's a, she's a, she's a pole rider.

Hellyeah does seem to have added an even bigger dose of their Mudvayne roots into Stampede, which allows for a more aggressive album on the whole. It's On! features some insane drumming from Vinnie Paul, and the entire instrumentation almost feels like a tornado at times. Cold As A Stone highlights the groove-oriented side of guitarists Maxwell and Tribbett, while Cowboy Way is simply an all-round single-worthy track. Is any of the material all that surprising? Not at all. But in the end, Hellyeah is staying true to itself once again, for better or worse.

FatLouie
    Im glad people are FINALLY starting to see what this band is about. When the first album came out everyone gave them shit cause they were compared with their other projects. If you are looking for a good time with a band that sounds like a bunch of friends jammin - look no further than HellYeah!
    guitarsftw
    SOADriff wrote: EpiExplorerLoG is just boring metalcore, and 5FDP are just.. pansies.I'm sorry, but how are LOG metalcore? correct me if im wrong, isn't metalcore screamed/growled vocals mixed with melodic choruses, and drop tuned guitars? Lamb of god have no melody whatsoever, i think they are more of a thrash band than anything else.
    They are, in my opinion, metalcore in its purist modern form. They have thrash metal elements and mix them with hardcore elements, more so than most metalcore bands.
    SmittyMan90
    who cares what kind of "core" it is, its all metal.
    SmittyMan90
    khujo1023 wrote: krvolok wrote: metalcore123 wrote: It's music. Shut up. It's meant to be played however the hell they want to play it...it doesn't have to be incredibly "deep" to be valid. They play in this band strictly for fun, and have said it many times. And there are people who do c.meth just for fun ..yeah Man,groove and -core is in existence so that kids form the midwest can say yeah Im into metal without actually touching the real stuff-thrash,death,doom.... And if you think that LOG and BFMV are cool well chances are you're dont have the balls for the proper stuff That was an ignorant statement. [/quo[quote]Kankuro1 wrote: krvolok wrote: rgt42dx wrote: what, music has to be brutal and complex and challenging to listen to to be proper? your opinion bases itself on juvenile Neanderthal logic, so it is heavily outweighed by others with at least some comprehensive and insightful set of values and premises. as I'm typing this, it just occurred to me whether I'm feeding a troll... something which I don't do. oh well, I already typed it up. I have a very high set of values 1 it must be kvlt 2 it must be proper 3 it must be honest 4 it must be hardcore 5 it can be brutal and technical or simple and minimalistic 6 only proper lyrics are allowed -nature,satan,religion/god,war,violence romance,re belion,emotions Bro, your being extremely closed minded. I don't anything you've said (it's okay to be close minded) but you shouldn't try to choke everyone with your opinion. And you act like Pantera is some power pop band. Ever heard "Suicide Note pt. 2"?
    so it sounds like hes into cookie-cutter metal bands that are all the same redundant stuff.
    SmittyMan90
    krvolok wrote: as all groove is,bad,I mean really bad,no and I mean absolutely no gravitas!
    you can thank Dime for help creating groove and influencing probably most of the bands you like.
    Kankuro1
    **don't have a problem with. Sorry for the mistake.
    Kankuro1
    Cafas
    SOADriff wrote: Lamb of god have no melody whatsoever, i think they are more of a thrash band than anything else.
    a) You should learn what a melody is. Just because they don't generally have vocal melodies doesn't mean they're writing atonal noise. b) They're all poster children for metalcore. Metal riffs, aped from thrash or melodic death, mixed with mid-paced half-thrash/tough guy hardcore breakdowns. If people want legitimate thrash, they're better off checking out Morbid Saint or Sepultura over Lamb of God.
    EpiExplorer
    SOADriff wrote: EpiExplorerLoG is just boring metalcore, and 5FDP are just.. pansies. I'm sorry, but how are LOG metalcore? correct me if im wrong, isn't metalcore screamed/growled vocals mixed with melodic choruses, and drop tuned guitars? Lamb of god have no melody whatsoever, i think they are more of a thrash band than anything else.
    Dude, metalcore hasnt ever needed to be melodic. Most of its been popularised by screamo bands that want to 'take it up a notch'. If you listen to any LoG song past Sacrament, there will be numerous breaks and even the traditional metalcore breakdown. Not to mention the guitaring style, which is very metalcore. Just gotta think about it. That said though, I've liked LoG for being groove-based in the first place, but now they're too popular for their own good and have decided to become softer which is totally fine, just means I wont listen to them.
    SOADriff
    EpiExplorer LoG is just boring metalcore, and 5FDP are just.. pansies.
    SIEGE312
    I can't believe how much of this bull**** I've actually read... KRVOLOK, please spend less time randomly bashing bands you don't even like on their review.. And since when did music have to be about only what you prefer, to be considered proper? Music is about expression, and whatever the guys in Hellyeah decide to express is their business. If you don't like it, don't listen to them and stay the hell away from their albums' reviews. There is no point in desperately trying to pick a fight with everyone simply because you think you know what is "proper". There are many far more productive things you could do with your time than lecture people on what is "proper" in metal. Metal is not proper, nor is any music, that is the point. Hopefully one day you can open your mind a bit and understand that.
    the_burning_one
    GoddamnCracka wrote: if you think that LOG and BFMV are cool well chances are you're dont have the balls for the proper stuff sorry lamb of god are sick. end of.
    This.
    the_burning_one
    [quote]krvolok wrote: metalcore123 wrote: It's music. Shut up. It's meant to be played however the hell they want to play it...it doesn't have to be incredibly "deep" to be valid. They play in this band strictly for fun, and have said it many times. And there are people who do c.meth just for fun ..yeah Man,groove and -core is in existence so that kids form the midwest can say yeah Im into metal without actually touching the real stuff-thrash,death,doom.... And if you think that LOG and BFMV are cool well chances are you're dont have the balls for the proper stuff Lamb of God is in a completely different class than bullet. i listen to bloodbath, Death, Nile, Obituary, and all your, "Proper stuff" and i love groove.
    James_Het_Rules
    kabloo12 wrote: Kids. Holy shit. Music is music. Whether it be Pop Rock to Rap to Country to Deathcore to Power Metal and all the genres inbetween. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' genre of music. I PERSONALLY feel that EVERYONE should be able to at least RESPECT the qualities of EVERY genre rather than just harp and hate on all the ones you PERSONALLY don't like. PERSONALLY I would rather listen to an alternative band like... Angels and Airwaves or whatever than Black metal like Burzum. But that doesn't mean I think Burzum is BETTER than AVA, it just means I would RATHER listen to alternative. I fully respect black metal and can listen to a few bands that are somewhat in that genre but I can at least RESPECT it. Maybe a few don't consider -core music ACTUAL metal. Does it matter? A few kids love it and MANY artists dig it so much that they actually pour their hearts and souls into creating it. Everyone should just stop criticizing genres/other people's fav bands/ANYTHING. Get over it and listen to the bands YOU like. Because someone else likes a certain band for one reason or another. No one has to conform to what is 'true' or 'pure'.
    This. Too bad so many people look over useful posts like this, quite a shame.
    Cafas
    I like a lot of ultimately mindless (and fun) bands, but Hellyeah and a lot of Pantera is a bit too mindless for me. I liked Pantera a lot getting into metal, but I don't see why I have to settle between awesome riffs and awesome songwriting when there's so much better metal/rock to choose from.
    kamjam7
    Whatever. To Hell with whoever was dissing pantera and LOG, And as for the -core bands, it's not their fault stupid kids turn it into their "badass metal". There is some great, unique core bands that are overshadowed by bad stereotypes. Might give this a listen, like mentioned above- down is better.
    Abom
    E.harley wrote: what is wrong with a band having a good time? why does a band have to be serious to be good?! not all things commercial are bad, these guys have other bands/music they take seriously for a living, nothing wrong with having fun doing something you love. even the most progressive musicians have a little rock and roll in 'emMahabajaba wrote: Seriously, i don't see how people can give any crap to this band, it's just there for a good time, it's only semi-serious and has all the markings of a band that's just their for laughs and a lot of fun!
    That's exactly what the post you quoted was saying...
    E.harley
    heretic-clown
    007008 wrote: wrote: @krvolok Isuse,čovječe ohladi malo!Kada ti i ja budemo sjedili pričat ćemo o pozerima.Ovo su amerikanci pola njih i nema pojma o čemu priča! @everybody else Look I know Krvolok in the real world,and he does know a lot abut music but also he likes to argue a lot so don't feed the fire.
    Well bust my britches at call me a Prairie Dog pie at a hootnanny but i guess cause Im AMERICAN i have no idea what your talking about! Your lil friend or "war survivor" states that he survived war and he knows what music is and that he has character because of the war, i call bs on that. And i hope what he calls REAL music isnt that poopy stuff on his profile cause that shit sucked. Ever heard of Acrassicauda? Those guys have character, They've survived war, they've lost there equipment many times not to mention having it blown up at a point, and their not out saying dumb shit, you should look into them instead of your Satan. FIXED!!
    heretic-clown
    007008 wrote: @krvolok Isuse,čovječe ohladi malo!Kada ti i ja budemo sjedili pričat ćemo o pozerima.Ovo su amerikanci pola njih i nema pojma o čemu priča! Well bust my britches at call me a Prairie Dog pie at a hootnanny but i guess cause Im AMERICAN i have no idea what your talking about! Your lil friend or "war survivor" states that he survived war and he knows what music is and that he has character because of the war, i call bs on that. And i hope what he calls REAL music isnt that poopy stuff on his profile cause that shit sucked. Ever heard of Acrassicauda? Those guys have character, They've survived war, they've lost there equipment many times not to mention having it blown up at a point, and their not out saying dumb shit, you should look into them instead of your Satan. @everybody else Look I know Krvolok in the real world,and he does know a lot abut music but also he likes to argue a lot so don't feed the fire.
    Mainer
    shreducator wrote: Groove is bad!? You know what I think is bad? Rap and bands like Escape the Fate. That stuff is childish and gaytarded. All rap music sounds like a twisted lullaby now, it all has that stupid keyboard sh!t in it, and stupid lyrical content. And band like Escape the Straight, they're just pathetic wannabes. Pantera was an amazing band, and they're music still stands alone. Don't dis groove just because you can't keep up. Those guys are/were brutal.
    know what I think is bad? ...BrokenCyde
    Behemoth941
    theczar
    ToolCreedence wrote: Krvolok knows NOTHING about metal. Listen to the crap on his profile. I could generalize about shitty European death/black metal, but I won't.
    I agree I was just being sarcastic.
    khujo1023
    This album is flat out fun... This isn't album you will be getting your angsty rocks off on.... Nor is it one that will change your life with how introspective it is. Its simply an album to listen to on a way to a beer filled good time or the soundtrack to a dirty house party. Musically not the best but fun as sh!t... Yes sir. -Stay Metal
    PanteraRebel
    yeah for all you haters there dissing Vinnie and Pantera can go **** yourselves Pantera will be the greatest groove metal band of all time and thats all i have to ****in say.
    khujo1023
    That was an ignorant statement.
    DimebagZappa
    hell yeah! Rockstar uproar in september w/ reserved vip tix! Damn im good.
    metalcore123
    FearOfTheDuck
    I like the idea of this band, but when you see what the other members of Pantera are doing in Down, it makes HellYeah look pretty poor. But still, they're about the fun. Can't beat some stompin' southern metal at a BBQ party.
    DrCOOL
    krvolok
    as all groove is,bad,I mean really bad,no and I mean absolutely no gravitas!
    Pukka-VCU
    Listened once. This will not leave my headphones for a good solid while. Go into it expecting what you should expect from a band comprised of the elements these guys are. You'll be pleasantly surprised. The live version of Alcohaulin' Ass bonus track at the end makes me really excited to see Hell Yeah in concert cause it sounds amazing! - 8.5/10 (for pure southern metal fans out there)
    Mahabajaba
    Flints
    first? good review. IMO,this band has very vulgar lyrics and are much too comic in their tone to be taken seriously. Chad is much better in Mudvayne
    MyUserName777
    I almost blew this album off because I thought their first album was pretty dumb. Glad I didn't because it's just a fun album, especially to drive to. The lyrics aren't the greatest but musically, it's a pretty sick album.
    hairy-southpaw
    Cafas wrote: the ironing is delicious.
    I love ironing. Keeps my clothes nice and neat. Indeed delicious.
    mrshreddy
    Behemoth941 : Horrible cd...its like ****ing chet atkins but ****ing tuned to A...theres a song called cowboy way...wtf is up with vinnie paul...went from a cowboy from hell to broke back mountain. DrCOOL : I thought this album sucked. Then again I really only liked 2 tracks on their first one. So I wasn't expecting much. I hope Vinny gets himself a better band.
    Sorry but i dont agree at all. Vinnie is a goddamn legend imo
    theczar
    krvolok wrote: mrshreddy wrote: khujo1023 wrote: Its seriously a matter of OPINION... No one opinion outweighs the other... I can see how some people have strong convictions about the music they love, listen to and or play... but it doesn't make anything better, more authentic or tougher than anything else... People have valid arguments for any genre of music... Trashing someone over a choice of personal tastes is simply retarded. Agree 100% mate. Stop being little bitches and dont give a flying **** what other people think of your taste in music, **** them they havent lived in your shoes, they most probably havent been to the same school as you, they havent lived the same childhood.. Krvolok you are just a whiny little bitch attracting attention to yourself, and i realise most of the people here are pretty much telling you the same, **** off if you dont like it. But arguing aint gettin you nowhere as khujo1023 said. Monumental fail. If I wanted attention I'd be calling people retards and bitches.I don't need a popular support in fact I prefer to be left in peace unless you have something smart to say,I never once called someone a retard or a bitch,but I've been called that what does that say abut you? it is as it was and will forever be so Know what...I'll say that groove is for poser and you will say its not and so on and let's leave it at that I really cant be bothered with this anymore I've got 150 pages of latin to translate by tommorow
    You haven't called anyone a retard but you DO seem to think that you are intellectually superior to everyone in this forum. For instance, we don't have the intellect to listen to "proper" metal, whatever that is. Also saying," I can't be bothered with this anymore because I have 150 pages of Latin to translate makes you sound like a douche.
    Sen-si
    In a side not though; Didnt think the album was amazing, had a listen on the USA Itunes. Some of the songs had some good riffs but overall it didnt live up to my expectations. Ahwell
    shreducator
    krvolok
    dementiacaptain wrote: I like it all? Man hating on groove and core and just everyone. I think elitist death metal fans. Though it is the best
    I follow only the word of Great Lord of all-Wisdom..
    krvolok
    @Abom and that's why the entire western civilization is falling because people like you exist by serious you mean commercial and thanks ejtan that that is so!
    ToolCreedence