Here Comes The Kraken review by Here Comes the Kraken

Here Comes the Kraken: Here Comes The Kraken

"Here Comes The Kraken" are a 4 piece death-core band from Mexico. Whilst the thought of another generic death-core band might make you cringe, don't be alarmed because HctK are one of the best death-core bands you will ever hear. This is original sounding death-core at it's best. This self titled release features: the fastest double kick drumming you may possibly ever hear (almost as fast as some of George Kollias from Nile's work), melodic and brutal riffing, some of the best death-core shrieks and gutturals and as many sweeps as you see on a Between The Buried And Me CD. Throw in some Misery Signals style ambient interludes too. Oh, and audible bass! That's something you rarely hear on a death-core CD.

The Vocalist's lyrics is pretty much undecipherable as he growls and shrieks his way around the tracks. The lyrics are your standard Death-Core fare, explaining how much he hates someone, themes about death and revenge. Some of the lyrics are quite well written, the majority are just average. The vocalist has got some chops though with the ear piercing shriek, the ground shaking guttural and some inhale pig squeals just to change it up occasionally. No clean vocals on this one folks.

This is one of the best debut albums I have heard, definitely some of the best death-core I have heard to date. There are flaws however, the production probably isn't as good as it COULD be, the guitar wankery sounds out of place at times, the breakdowns are simply still breakdowns and that after track 4 you might be saying "Did I Hear That Already?" Most Impressive Songs: Don't Fail Me Darko, Confessions Of What I Have Done, Underwater Visions and From The Deepest Darkness. This is a band that could have a pretty big future ahead of them. Recommended to everyone who can handle some brutality, who is tired of stale death-core and wants something original. Highly Recommended

dementiacaptain
    to epiexplorer, EVERY genre of music has bands that sound the same. Kreator sound remarkably like slayer at points. All Shall Die (not all shall perish) sounds remarkably like morbid angel. but, that isnt to say all bands in a genre do. testament doesnt sound like anthrax. the foo fighters dont sound like nickelback. judas priest doesnt sound like iron maiden. AND hctk doesnt sound like as blood runs black. im not gonna call you narrow minded dude. just dont be a dick.
    guusw
    EpiExplorer
    dementiacaptain wrote: guusw wrote: All the names metalheads made up for their "genres" are hilarious, really cracks me up! yeah it is a lil ridiculous. they change one element and all of a sudden a whole new, radical genre has to be named.
    Its called categorizing. Think Argos got anywhere without a catalog?
    Blazn Blue
    Nafon
    This whole 'all core sounds the same' is ridiculous. There are bands in all genre's that sound the same. Someone listen to All shall perish's the price of existence, then listen to this album.
    uberphreak
    Blazn Blue wrote: EpiExplorer is right, as is gussw. I listened to all the "-cores" for years, and seriously, most metal/death/whateverthe****youwannacallit core sounds exactly alike
    lol if you're going to reduce it to "everything ending in -core sounds exactly alike" then you are completely delusional. Even saying all deathcore sounds the same is a bit of a stretch. They're mostly SIMILAR, yes, but not all the same. Anyway I gave this band a listen and they're nothing special as far as deathcore goes, but still a decently solid album.
    Time Seller
    bla556 wrote: "the fastest double kick drumming you may possibly ever hear (almost as fast as some of George Kollias from Nile's work)" eeeeeh...wait, this makes little sense
    My brain hurts.
    benx3000
    spined_wurm wrote: here comes the kraken is a pretty good band, solid cd and i listen to deathcore a lot, but it seriously does sound all the same. i totally disagree with the guy that classifies as blood runs black as deathcore, thats metalcore in my opinion. honestly, if i didnt know the songs beforehand, i couldnt tell the difference between the acacia strain, emmure, liferuiner, carnifex, oceano, suicide silence, etc. i love the genre but i dont delude myself and into believing these bands differ from each other
    The more popular deathcore bands sound the same. But the more underground you get the more variety there is. I don't really know why that is, but you can't deny that it is true.
    ghostship.
    Just here to make a point: Metal has a ton of different subgenres, probably more then any other genre of music. Deathcore is hated on a lot because the most popular bands are very similar. Suicide Silence, Emmure, etc. Some bands tend to differ (like All Shall Perish or Beneath the Massacre) by being super technical and whatever. The reason why a lot of people say that all deathcore sounds the same isn't this though, its the production qualities and music structure. Basically the drums are always clean and heavy, but really Pro-tool'd and artificial sounding, like a robot. The guitars usually switch between chugging on open strings or hitting a couple of disharmonic notes, sweep picking etc. It isn't really bad, but it starts to get a little unimpressive after a while, while the plus side is that it is easy to distinguish every instrument, save for the bass. The genre hasn't had anything drastically new happen to it ever since it was created, and hence it only has a couple of good bands. The rest are unimportant.
    x iReGzZ x
    EpiExplorer, Fuck yourself. It's not the same. Burning the Masses has prob one of the most rediculous guitar players in the world, and this album is B/A. They're sick, especially for a debut. I agree with ghostship.
    XdeathcardX
    I remember when i heard some of the demos in early 09. This is probably the only death metal band i can still listen too because the others just bore me with nothing new to the table. Its funny too how guys from mexico can also do death-core better than most of the all white death-pop bands in USA. Even of the trend of death-core dies, i will continue to listen to this album 8/10
    synrodrigogates
    i like thrash metal and heavy metal, but this album kick ass, there aren't like all the deathcore bands, they are more Technical, and maybe i like this album cuz i am form MEXICO and i support the metal in mexico, but still kick ass 9/10 saludos a mexico
    EpiExplorer
    ScorianVaseras wrote: How about Burning the Masses, The Acacia Strain or Despised Icon as good examples of Deathcore? Not a huge fan of the genre, but those three bands are tight.
    Its. All. The. Same. Christ..
    strat07
    this is really interesting album and it's really far far far from generic deathcore! My second favorite deathcore next to Woe Of Tyrants' "Kingdom Of Might!"
    ScorianVaseras
    reservedforchoi
    Burning the Masses are incredible. +1 This is an ok album, the drumming is the best part, but there's better stuff out there.
    bla556
    bassboy92
    bassboy92
    epiexplorer its fine if u dont like it but dont be narrowminded and dont come on this article if u dont like it but tjis band is good
    huevos
    dementiacaptain
    i agree accept for emmure, they have the whole whiney singing aspect. but as blood runs black, is kinda on the wall, they have the melodic element of metalcore, but the setup of their music is more deathcore, and they have certain stereotypical deathcore aspects. but yeah i get what ur saying
    random-emo-kill
    PlayFreebirdNow
    huevos wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: bassboy92 wrote: epiexplorer its fine if u dont like it but dont be narrowminded and dont come on this artical if u dont like it but on another note this band is very good Cant call me narrow-minded based on two friggin comments. Thats like saying to a spanish priest 'Take your white hood off, you racist a-holes'. If anything you're narrow-minded for not knowing a damn thing about me. Has nothing to do with it. You just wanna illicit responses based on something you don't like. That and basically every genre is going to have very reminiscent bands. You tell me that tech/brutal death, thrash, grind, black, and doom metal are so original? Metal in it's natural state is as conservative as pro-life right-wingers. Don't worry, I'm not one for deathcore, but you go into these reviews trying to be rowdy and obnoxious. Let the people enjoy what they want to enjoy.
    This. EpiExplorer likes to be an ass.
    xicetraex
    EpiExplorer wrote: random-emo-kill wrote: if you think all deatchroe sounds the same, listen to despised icon or whitechapel, then as blood runs black or bring me the horizon. theres a huge difference. some deathcore bands (such as the first two i mentioned) lean towards death metal, and some (the second two) lean towards metalcore or melodeath. theres actually a huge difference. its like saying cannibal corpse and deicide sound the same, or avenged sevenfold and divine heresy, ect. I have listened to at least 12 different deathcore bands. Its like listening to one greatest hits album by Suicide Silence. Theres really nothing that different from each one. Its just more or less the same music dubbed over with a different set of people 'playing' the same thing. And the main reason why I dont like it is because its a fad. Some sort of 'Hay look at me' alternative to smoking or whatever for teenagers who seem to want to be depressed. Its pop music for unpopular people.
    I hate deathcore, but I don't agree with you.
    dementiacaptain
    EpiExplorer wrote: Meh. I'm pissed off. I mock bands best when I get pissed off. But alright, for the sake of some butthurt, I'll tone it down. >.>
    lmao hey man thanks. look i really didnt mind it that much man but i its annoying seeing every complaining about the "narrow minded" guy on these pages. just makes it easier to voice an opinion
    spined_wurm