The Tome review by Hierophant

Hierophant: The Tome

If you're not a fan of extreme music, stop reading right here. "Hierophant" is Funeral Doom Metal taken to the extreme: it's extremely heavy, dark, slow, minimalistic, monotonous, crushing and anything you can ever imagine. "The Tome" is a compilation album and contains all the three EP:s Hierophant has done, (which are also the only Hierophant releases) so if you have The Tome you have everything Hierophant has ever done, which means that it's quite useless to buy all the EP:s one by one (unless you are a collector, of course) since they are also much much more difficult to find than "The Tome." So, let's see what the album is made from: extremely heavy guitars which really don't play any riffs, just chords, slow drumming, some keyboards to create atmosphere and of course extremely low, aggressive and dark growling. Just like I said before, the album is really monotonous and all the songs are quite similar to each other, but hey, it's Extreme Funeral Doom Metal, what are you expecting? All the songs however succeed to create the atmosphere that they are meant to create: Dark, crushing, quite depressive and even quite scary at some points. Hierophant is probably the darkest and heaviest band I know.

It's quite hard to say anything about the lyrics since I can't recognize even one word from the growling, but with the help of Encyclopaedia Metallum I can tell that the lyrics are about sadness and depression, which means that the lyrics fit in the music perfectly! The singing is probably the best thing on the album. I find it hard to believe that someone could make vocals that are darker and heavier than the ones Hierophant's only member Xathagorra Mlandroth makes on the album.

Hierophant is the band that got me into Doom Metal just because it is able to create this atmosphere that no other band that I've listened to has been able to create. Hierophant is even more heavier and extreme than most other Funeral Doom Metal bands, so if you are looking for some FDM band to start with, Hierophant is probably not the best choice for it, but for metalheads who are more familiar with the genre Hierophant is a must-check band. I recommend Hierophant also for all Black Metal fans out there. Best song and worth checking out: "Where No Light Hath Shone... (But for That of the Moon)"

EpiExplorer
    duncang m : Decent band! POSTED: 07/05/2010 - 02:32 pm / quote | wrote: Decent band!
    ...Wow. Anyway, Not much into Doom metal, except Isole, but I bet its okay.
    Echoplex
    I've been getting into funeral doom recently. I might need to check this out.
    guitarsftw
    STOP USING THE WORD "EXTREME". You sound like the Mountain Dew punks from Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.
    EpiExplorer
    After listening to it, I can say, the production is rubbish and the musicians are pretty sloppy but it is indeed atmospheric...