Death Is This Communion review by High on Fire

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
High on Fire: Death Is This Communion

the sound on this album is just incredible. it's one of the heaviest and dense albums I have ever heard. it's not particularily fast, but anyone who knows of high on fire our matt's other work knows this is to be expected. the drums pound, the bass rumbles, and the guitars are massive. this album is a lesson in sludge riffage. matt is a great, very unique guitar player, and he just does an incredible job on this album. the 9 string guitar he use on this album (the g b and e strings are doubled like a 12 string) adds a lot to some of the solos, and the clean part in waste of tiamat.the song writing is prettty interesting aswell. like 2 consecutive tracks chanel the album quite well overall, is rumours of war and die. rumours of war was the first single and sees the band channeling they're inner motorhead, while dii is an incredible insturmental track, that has some of the sludgiest riffs I've ever heard. kirk windstein has nothing on matt pike lol. this record is great, and I would encourage anyone to buy it.

he lyrics are nothing inovative, but are fairly diverse, covering mythical stories aswell as problems in our world today. the way they are presented that is a highlight. they are presented in the same way over pretty much the entire album, but the vocals lock in so well with the music, and just sound so awssome it dosent get boring. while the insturments are more the highlight of this album ( how else could you have 8 minute tracks) the vocals are great, and without them the music would not quite be as good as it is

this album is just epic. that is really the only way to describe it. the songwriting is epic, the riffs are epic, the lyrics are epic. it's just a great album, and I would encourage any metalhead to go buy it. my favourite tracks on the album are rumours of war, waste of tiamat, turk and fury whip, but they are all great. seriously, just get up right now and go buy this album, you will not regret it. in the words of matt describing this album in revolver "if you don't get this one, I'm sorry, but you're just an idiot". well it was something like that, but you get the point.

Shread_6009
    The_Seventh_Sin : i want to see them with Megadeth and everyone else at Gigantour. i hope its not too late to get tix
    you are so far off, tickets sold out half a year ago, and 08 gigantour wrapped up a few months back ( or at least in north america
    restless_thrash
    GR1NG0_SU4V3
    restless_thrash wrote: man, i saw them at gigantour, and i really didn't enjoy them. extremely similar songs and about a 3/10 on stage presence. but, they are a decent metal band.
    see them in a club venue. much better.
    Tedward
    mattj2192 wrote: I was pissed off when I showed up a little late to Gigantour and their set was already over...the show started out on a bad note cuz i had to deal with Blowjob for a Cowboy
    same here. Except i actually like Job For A Cowboy. But i just caught the end of High On Fire and from what i saw (like 2 songs) they were pretty ****in hectic. They werent like super "show-y" but i could tell they were gettin into their music. very original band IMO. ive never heard anyone like them. Pike plays a pretty sick guitar too, 9 strings..
    Tedward
    Seven of the eleven tracks are upwards of five minutes, but that is a common thing in stoner metal.
    dude i heard a song by Matt Pikes original band Sleep, and im pretty sure it was a 60 minute single song. just puttin it out there. Sorry for double post