Death Is This Communion review by High on Fire

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
High on Fire: Death Is This Communion

The band's sound is huge considering they are a trio. It is also clear that this is Matt Pike'd band. The riffs are huge and the songs as a whole are excellent. This is a true American Metal Band. There are tons of Slayer/Motorhead style riffs. Matt Pike's vocals are raw and guttural. I had actually bought "Snakes For The Divine" before this album, but I must say this album kicks serious butt! HoF's sound is definitely influenced by Slayer, Motorhead, and even a little Sabbath.

Matt Pike has a fairly distinctive vocal tone. When you hear him sing you know its a High On Fire song. "Death Is This Communion" is a very well written album. The music, the lyrics, and the musicians all fit very well on this album. Backing up Pike's phenomenal guitar work is an awesome rhythm section. Again everything is in its place here. This album stands out among metal's elite.

These guys compare closest to Sabbath, Slayer, Motorhead and maybe a little Metallica. "Death Is This Communion" and "Fury Whip" are great tunes but don't make up the whole album. The only song I don't like is "Tiamat". Other than that this album is fast paced, loud and extremely metal. If you haven't checked these guys out you are definitely missing out!

TheWindGypsy
    this album is seriously sic stuff...even the instrumental tracks are well considered and amazing.
    Dextermaniac
    THE most awesome doom/sludge/stoner metal band. And this still is my favorite album of theirs, I can't wait till they tour Europe again!