Death Is This Communion Review

High on Fire: Death Is This Communion
Release Date: Sep 18, 2007
Genre: Stoner Metal, Heavy Metal
Label: Relapse
"Death Is This Communion" is a step up from "Blessed Black Wings", and just may be the band's finest and most focused moment yet.
 9.5
 9.1
 9.9
Death Is This Communion Reviewed by: stonersandwich, on february 23, 2008

Sound: A warning to all fans of watered-down pop-metal: there is nothing catchy on this entire album. What it lacks in mainstreamness, however, it makes up for in heaviness. HOF don't need hooks, the music is so intense and brutal that you won't be able to press stop. This record is an aural steamroller, pounding it's way into your subconscience and never letting you get away. While this album is insane, it really isn't anthing that they haven't done before. It features the same thunderous drums, courtesy of master skinsman Des Kensel, gutteral bass and pummeling riffs that fans have come to expect from the Oakland trio. The only thing that I have heard people complain about is the length of the songs. Seven of the eleven tracks are upwards of five minutes, but that is a common thing in stoner metal. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are about the same caliber as the last record. Fantasy, demons, religion, and views on the current state of the world are just some of the many topics covered. Though these aren't anything new, Matt Pike and the gang have managed to write about these things in a way that is new and fresh. The lyrics also go along perfectly with the music. As far as epicness goes, they can't be beat. Think what it would be like if J.R.R. Tolkien did a bunch of meth and wrote some sick poems. And as far as the singing goes, you can tell that Pike has come a long way since HOF's creation. While he still uses his signature sandpaper-scraping-across-cement growl more than anything, he also employs the help of some more melodic lines here and there. // 9

Overall Impression: This record is not like anything any other artist has recorded before. But, like I said, it is one of those prototypical HOF records that their fans have come to expect. The songs that left the biggest impression on me were the title track and the massive "Headhunter". While "Headhunter" clocks in at a mere 1:24 and features only a single instrument, it is easily the most moving song on the whole album. Be sure not to listen to this track while there is a spear in the room, as it may provoke you to impale someone. Overall, I personally could not find anything about this album that I didn't like, but like I said, some people have a problem with long songs. If I were to lose this album, I would certainly buy another copy. Happy listening everyone, hope this helped. Hesh hard! // 9

Death Is This Communion Reviewed by: wbjackson517, on october 31, 2012

Sound: The band's sound is huge considering they are a trio. It is also clear that this is Matt Pike'd band. The riffs are huge and the songs as a whole are excellent. This is a true American Metal Band. There are tons of Slayer/Motorhead style riffs. Matt Pike's vocals are raw and guttural. I had actually bought "Snakes For The Divine" before this album, but I must say this album kicks serious butt! HoF's sound is definitely influenced by Slayer, Motorhead, and even a little Sabbath. // 9

Lyrics: Matt Pike has a fairly distinctive vocal tone. When you hear him sing you know its a High On Fire song. "Death Is This Communion" is a very well written album. The music, the lyrics, and the musicians all fit very well on this album. Backing up Pike's phenomenal guitar work is an awesome rhythm section. Again everything is in its place here. This album stands out among metal's elite. // 9

Overall Impression: These guys compare closest to Sabbath, Slayer, Motorhead and maybe a little Metallica. "Death Is This Communion" and "Fury Whip" are great tunes but don't make up the whole album. The only song I don't like is "Tiamat". Other than that this album is fast paced, loud and extremely metal. If you haven't checked these guys out you are definitely missing out! // 9

Death Is This Communion Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2008

Sound: the sound on this album is just incredible. it's one of the heaviest and dense albums I have ever heard. it's not particularily fast, but anyone who knows of high on fire our matt's other work knows this is to be expected. the drums pound, the bass rumbles, and the guitars are massive. this album is a lesson in sludge riffage. matt is a great, very unique guitar player, and he just does an incredible job on this album. the 9 string guitar he use on this album (the g b and e strings are doubled like a 12 string) adds a lot to some of the solos, and the clean part in waste of tiamat.the song writing is prettty interesting aswell. like 2 consecutive tracks chanel the album quite well overall, is rumours of war and die. rumours of war was the first single and sees the band channeling they're inner motorhead, while dii is an incredible insturmental track, that has some of the sludgiest riffs I've ever heard. kirk windstein has nothing on matt pike lol. this record is great, and I would encourage anyone to buy it. // 10

Lyrics: he lyrics are nothing inovative, but are fairly diverse, covering mythical stories aswell as problems in our world today. the way they are presented that is a highlight. they are presented in the same way over pretty much the entire album, but the vocals lock in so well with the music, and just sound so awssome it dosent get boring. while the insturments are more the highlight of this album ( how else could you have 8 minute tracks) the vocals are great, and without them the music would not quite be as good as it is // 9

Overall Impression: this album is just epic. that is really the only way to describe it. the songwriting is epic, the riffs are epic, the lyrics are epic. it's just a great album, and I would encourage any metalhead to go buy it. my favourite tracks on the album are rumours of war, waste of tiamat, turk and fury whip, but they are all great. seriously, just get up right now and go buy this album, you will not regret it. in the words of matt describing this album in revolver "if you don't get this one, I'm sorry, but you're just an idiot". well it was something like that, but you get the point. // 10

Comments