Metamorphosis review by Hilary Duff

• Released: Aug 26, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Hilary Duff: Metamorphosis

I was surprised at the sound of this album. I expected it to be full of britney spears style songs, with no talent in writing or vocals expressed by Hilary. The music was more rock influenced, which is not what I had predicted. Lots of guitar riffs.

The lyrics on this album were not the best I've heard. With the help of the well-known "Matrix" team, Hilary had some good songs on here, such as Where Did I Go Right? and So Yesterday. The popular John Shanks (think Michelle Branch) wrote my favorite, Come Clean. There were a few horrible, teeny-bopper songs on here with no lyrical value at all (The Math, Sweet Sixteen, and Love Just Is). Duff's voice was pretty average to me, nothing special shown here. Her meager and failed attempts to write two tracks on this album show me that this is true: In Hollywood, anyone can get a record deal.

I think this album was much better than the other young artists out there, but Hilary's music style of choice does not compare to others in her 'category,' such as Michelle Branch and Avril Lavigne. The most impressive song on this album, to me, is definitely Come Clean. I enjoyed the young, free feel of the songs, but I wasn't impressed with Duff's writing. If this album was lost or stolen, I don't think I'd lose sleep over it. I would recommend this album to girls from the ages of 8-15.