Aftermath review by Hillsong United

• Released: Feb 15, 2011
Hillsong United: Aftermath

Now this is more personal than anything. The sound of the album is above average but nothing spectacular. Rock seems to be moving back into the 80's with the synth and all that. And Hillsong is doing the same thing. The beats are great, the music is interesting. It's not the best sound I've ever heard from Hillsong United. Overall it is pretty good though. It is something new. And a lot of people like hearing something completely new.

This is where the album get's very good. Lyrically it is the best song Hillsong United has ever written. The pictures they create are amazing for example on the album titled song "Aftermath" the first verse is: "The skies lay low where You are, on the earth You rest Your feet. Yet that hands that cradle the starts, are the hands that bled for me." The lyrics also go pretty well with the music. The composition of everything overall is pretty good. Some of the songs are definitely better than others as usual on all cd's but over all it is very good.

This is definitely in the top 3 or 4 albums that Hillsong United has written. It is a very new sound and can definitely grow on me. But for my style I prefer Across the Earth and United We Stand above it as far as listing to. But this is my favorite album lyrically. I am excited to take the songs are rework the music in it to more fit my style of worship when I incorporate it into our worship at my church. I absolutely love the album lyrics. Hillsong has raised the bar yet again. I am not the biggest fan of the 80's synth sound. But it is growing on me. It is definitely not a reason to not buy the album. I would buy it again if it was lost.

EpiExplorer
    The Pope does.
    EpiExplorer
    theAccursed wrote: No-one says you can't like a bit of metal while being a Christian. The Pope as well as Independent Fundamentalist Baptists say you can't be a christian and listen to metal (by trying to stop Lordi playing in Italy, and various cd destroying parties respectively).
    Also dont forget that many sects in America (like the Westboro thingy) actually openly 'crusade' against it.
    theAccursed
    No-one says you can't like a bit of metal while being a Christian.
    brownfoxjumps
    Okay, if you dont see why this should be reviewed, why bother to go and comment on it just to say.... why??? If you were to take this album and look at it lyrically, youd be blown awayyy by how good the lyrics are.
    bcwfootball54
    crondom wrote: you seriously reviewed this? wow...
    Yes. iTunes accidentally released it one month early. That's why I reviewed it before the official release
    theAccursed
    Alice Cooper teaches Sunday School. Tom Araya is a Catholic (he says he is anyway). The guy from Austrian Death Machine is too. But, the question is, are they good Christians. And if Lady Gaga is unchristian, then surely metal is...
    But, of course, we shouldn't generalise. There are as many different types of Christian as there are Muslims...
    sumrandomhobo
    +infinity.
    Bassist4Him
    I've heard things here and there about Hillsong's controversial management of their church. The lyrics are wonderful regardless. Their own worship and church procedures...whatever, it's of no concern to me, the music is good for praise and worship. Here's the thing with music, even "Christian metal" or "Christian rock". Sure the members may say they are Christians and use themes revolving around spirituality in their song lyrics and music. The most important question to ask with things like that is, "does this glorify Christ?" "Can this move me closer in my walk with Him?" Look at the band member's lives, do their lives reflect the heart of Jesus?
    joshme17
    Just downloaded this album because of this review. Nice to see something by Hillsong United on the homepage of UG On the topic of Christians not listening to metal, hasn't anyone here heard of Demon Hunter? Flyleaf? Christian metal bands. I don't only listen to Christian metal though, there are plenty of metal groups that aren't "satanic" most aren't actually.
    eljono123
    EpiExplorer wrote: some.will.seek wrote: finally...not satan metal music...=) Opeth are my favourite band. I love Hillsong too! No-one says you can't like a bit of metal while being a Christian. The Pope does.
    The Pope does not define Christianity. Thats definitely a huge misconception. True Christians follow Christ, not a man. Anyways I play with some people on Sunday mornings and we get a lot of stuff form Hillsong. Its hard to replicate their sound with 5 people.. when they have like 20 lol.. but anyways glad to see someone kinda review it
    niejel
    I'm a Christian, I play in the Church every Sunday . . . using an Ibanez Destroyer model, hahaha. I listen to metal at times, though my parents are against it.
    dandesmond
    I have to say, I struggle with Hillsong. They write one or two great songs per album, but a lot of it is rushed, fillers and all sounds the same. I wish they would take a few years to write a great CD rather than fork one out year by year. And I love how people say Christians can't enjoy metal music. I teach religion sometimes and we talk about this. Although I don't agree with some of the metal bands, doesn't metal symbolise an emotion, which is a healthy emotion? Anger is okay. Isn't it good to be angry at things like injustice, murder and the evil things in the world? Just thought I'd chip in :-D
    Echoplex
    That's absolute bullsh*t. Just droppin' in to say that.
    some.will.seek
    finally...not satan metal music...=)
    danye
    good stuffff... love doing heavier stuff with our youth worship band, be good to have a new selection of songs to use .. and to take inspiration to write from
    fender456
    you seriously reviewed this? wow...
    Yeah cuz God forbid christians use this website and listen to music.
    Fisheth24
    eteam_sammy4him
    Good to see a review on this album. Not the most extensive review, but nonetheless, it is still nice to see some variety as previously stated. I may have to check this album out. I've never been a big Hillsong United fan, but if it's moving towards an 80's sound, it may well be worth my time.
    sh.ag
    Can't wait for this album. Thanks for reviewing this. God bless
    Noverion
    I think i've missed a few Hillsong albums, they come up with it preeetty fast. Last one I had was the one with all the controversy over "Healer" which was a great album to be fair. Might have to pick it up
    stilt37
    Fisheth24 wrote: Well, I've never been a fan of Hillsong. For controvesy reasons and because they treat everything as a big money making scheme. Where as true worship music isn't that! Just saying!
    That's such an easy accusation to make.
    dmaccy06
    I am happy also that they are reviewing this. And so far, semi intelligent comments. Thanks guys!
    zxssded
    DuRoLuRo
    I love this album. Even to this day, it's still one of my favourite worship albums
    tnekf94
    quote]zxssded wrote: finally...not satan metal music...=) good 2 c that ultimate guitar is finally not reviewing yet another metal album. good 2 see alternative.[/quote] oh my not these kind of stereotypes again... most metal artists used the satanic theme to give their IMAGE... it's nothing personal. so you cant techincally say members from for example, slayer, are satanic. the band itself is not satanic at all... dave lombardo i believe is a devoted christian. slayer uses the theme to give their aggressive image... nothing personal.
    caleb69
    tnekf94 wrote: quote]zxssded wrote: finally...not satan metal music...=) good 2 c that ultimate guitar is finally not reviewing yet another metal album. good 2 see alternative.
    oh my not these kind of stereotypes again... most metal artists used the satanic theme to give their IMAGE... it's nothing personal. so you cant techincally say members from for example, slayer, are satanic. the band itself is not satanic at all... dave lombardo i believe is a devoted christian. slayer uses the theme to give their aggressive image... nothing personal.[/quote] x100000
    MetalheadforJC
    I wouldn't really consider this as a review. But at least there aren't any retarded religious arguments going on.... yet
    i don't mind christian music if it's good. to be honest, most of the music i listen to has undecipherable death growls for vocals anyway...i couldn't care less about the message as long as the music is good.
    T7E
    THis is the WORST MUSIC EVERYONE. Its a cult wrapped in wool thats all Hillsong is. They have to give a third of their weekly earnings to the church. The lead singer is the creator of this "CHURCH"s son. WTF
    Natrone
    Ok, enough with the arguments people. Anyways, never really found worship music to be very good for general listening myself. However, I do like playing some of the classic Hillsong stuff with my worship team.
    some.will.seek
    It's a good thing I don't listen to a word from the Pope. To me, the Pope isn't even a Christian.. very differing views (i.e-catholic views). I listen to the bible. It usually does the trick. There is one verse that says that 'your body is a temple, be careful what you put into it' (paraphrased, definitely). I do care about what the music is talking about.. but, metal seriously is the only genre that talks about REAL stuff. None of this crappy radio 'I want u babe' stuff.