All Of The Above review by Hillsong United

• Released: Jan 1, 2007
Hillsong United: All Of The Above

People seem to equate church and Christian music with an "everybody clap your hands" gospel (southern or black variety) vibe. It's true that a lot of churches play that, but when you put in a Hillsong United disc the sound will always be way different than that. They've made a few changes to the style lately and this is an older disc, but from a sound standpoint it is a straight indie rock and alternative vibe. You'll hear twangy distortion lines, jangly overdriven barre chords, Vox-style tones with delay and reverb, and fuzzy rhythms and guitar lines. I can't really state that a particular guitar riff or chord progression sounds "Christian", but I suppose the occasional slow songs with acoustic strumming and shoegaze flavored electric guitar count since numerous bands have picked up on it lately. The overall sound of the whole album is largely U2-influenced with modern indie and alternative flavors. I don't hear any special playing in the drums, keys, or bass but they provide a catchy rhythm section that works with the music and doesn't take away from it. The most important factor for this album is that it is a studio album. Unlike past and future recordings, it wasn't recorded live at a church service or conference. This imparts a clean and more distinct vibe for all the instruments and there is the absence of a noisy room full of thousands of people's celebratory whooping or singing along. You will also hear static and strange ambient noises throughout the album, most notably between For Those Who Are To Come (Selah*) and Solution. I feel they add a nice tone and add to the mood of the music.

I will be honest and admit that I am biased since I am an obnoxiously unashamed and proud Christian, so I that imparts a big reason I like the lyrics. Let's be real though, unless you are open minded or a believer like myself, I feel you will not like the lyrics. They are largely worshipful lyrics or promising of personal devotion to God. Although, the opening verse and the second verse of Solution, "It is not a human right to stand not fight while broken nations dream. Open up our eyes so blind that we might find the mercy for the need. It is not too far a cry, too much to try to help the least of these. Politics will not decide if we should rise and be Your hands and feet." would probably resonate with most people to inspire helping less fortunate and being more loving. I do feel like the worshipful lyrics are presented in not just a generic manner, but that they manage to be heartfelt while still rising above the "God is holy, hallelujah" vein of lyrics that can be abundant in contemporary worship and Christian music. Lyrics such as, "You crossed the great divide. You took our place. You offered up Your life, though we had failed. The veil was torn and love remade." are thought provoking yet still convey the same idea of worship. Like I said, these are lyrics for Christians or open minded individuals. It might not stop you from getting something out of them though. The singing isn't groundbreaking, especially in the men who sing, but it is decent and in tune singing. A successful folk/pop solo artist named Brooke Ligertwood (then Brooke Fraser) who wrote some of the songs and provides some of the lead vocals is a standout as far as vocals go. She provides very wistful and dreamy lead vocals for a couple slow or semi-slow songs.

If was comparing it to an artist I would liken some of the guitar lines to U2, but there is a wider range of sounds that they seem to draw from as well. Some of the more driving and fuzzy lines and tubescreamer snarl could be compared to less saturated Muse and older The Killers tones. Perhaps not necessarily the style but the way the tones are presented can sound similar. There are also a lot of shoegaze and clean dream pop tinged sounds on here. I guess if you tried really hard you could come up with a long list of who it compares to, but it ultimately sounds like U2 influenced alternative rock. Some of the more impressive songs to me are Break Free, Lead Me To The Cross, Hosanna, Solution, My Future Decided, and Savior King. I like the upbeat indie rock and dreamy shoegaze moments on the disc. I do dislike how the latter end of the album sort of starts to lag compared to the energy of the beginning, but it has a strong finish. I doubt it would get lost, but it's a worthy part of my Christian music library if the music were lost, stolen, or erased. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's solid faith based music for those that crave something more interesting than comping on a funky organ groove and clap your hands music. Perhaps we're seeing a good addition to a modern church's set?

eteam_sammy4him
    Wow, 2 HU albums in 2 days. I'm glad to see these. I didn't know they had done a studio album till I saw this. I may give it a listen.
    theAccursed
    Also, the flagellum argument for intelligent design has been disproved by real scientists. Here's a quote (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/i... rial.html) that generally rebuts the 'I don't understand it, so God did it' argument about the flagellum... DAVID DEROSIER: This is a structure found, for example, in Yersinia pestis, the bacterium that causes the Bubonic plague. Look at the similarities. Now, this structure doesn't rotate, but it still has to extend this structure, which is equivalent to the rod, the driveshaft here. It has to extend that, because it needs this little channel. It's like, sort of like a syringe. So the virulence factors that are made inside the cell, which is down here, can be exported, pushed up into this hole and exported out through this long, kind of, needle, perhaps into a cell in your body or mine, and thereby create misery. NARRATOR: And it turns out the two structures look similar for a reason. The syringe on the right is made of a subset of the very same protein types found in the base of the flagellum on the left, though the syringe is missing proteins found in the motor and, therefore, can't produce rotary motion. It functions perfectly as an apparatus for transmitting disease. DAVID DEROSIER: So if we think about what it means to be irreducibly complex, the argument is that if you take away even one of these proteins, that the structure cannot function. And yet here is a structure that functions, that is missing several of the proteins, and yet here it is, a working, viable organelle of the bacterium. So indeed, the structure is not, in that sense, irreducibly complex.
    LiveForChrist
    Science is a great way to determine the processes about the universe. But someone mentioned that science and Christianity fit together. Well they do. All of this physics and chemistry... they all flow off of logic. And logic flows off of God. God cannot surpass or bypass logic. Oh no... you might be thinking "Ha. There is something your God can't do!" Well you're right. He is limited by logic... the one that flows off from his infinite being. So basically the only thing my God can't do... is be limited by his own logic. Yeah, I'll serve a God who can't be limited by himself any day. However, that doesn't mean buying any of these Hillsong products makes you a hypocrite. You are thinking too small. Try to see the bigger picture here. Science and Christianity CAN fit together. You are too busy using science as a shield, you haven't even possibly thought about Christianity as a possibility for a way of reasoning. You hide behind other "real scientist"'s work while you haven't thought about any of this FOR YOURSELF. "Real science" will always consider ALL of the possibilities. By the way, I avoid using the word religion and Christianity interchangeably because Christianity is not a religion. It's a lifestyle. It's a relationship. We're not only Christians at 4am in the morning only and only for another 4 times that day. We're not only Christians on Sunday. We're not only Christians when we're in church. We're not Christians when it's convenient. We're Christians all the time. Christians don't perform rituals or have relics and such. Christianity is a faith where Christ sent his son to save the WHOLE world from our sins. That's unique. Try to think of any religion you know where someone sacrificed themselves to save the whole world. Cults don't count and neither do offshoots. Nowhere in your statement did you prove that homosexuality is not wrong. All you did was state that some animals are into it. Nowhere in the word "homosexuality" is the word "human" implied. Sure in Latin it's spelled "homo sapien", but "homo" means the same and sexuality is self explanatory. If you are homosexual, it means you are attracted of the same sex. Animals can be homosexual, no one said they couldn't. Well everything he said that you quoted is true (from David Derosier). It's not that irreducibly complex. Intelligent design means that someone or something designed the flagellum (and even the bacterium) the way it was with its proteins and codons. You are coming at this with another approach. It's not "I don't understand it, so God did it", it's "even though I understand it, God did it".
    LiveForChrist
    If you're still not sure about how Christianity is different from religions, here's some things to think about. Christianity emphasizes what GOD DOES to save mankind. Basically every other religion out there (again, not cult or offshoot) emphasizes what mankind DID to save itself. Most religions show one how to achieve salvation through actions and deeds. Christianity shows one that salvation cannot be achieved through deeds or actions, but that salvation comes through grace. Not "because I did this for myself, I'm saved", but more like "because God forgave me and loves me, I am saved". That's also another thing. Forgiveness. Little to no religions emphasize forgiveness at all. Why? Because like I mentioned above that since most religions believe "salvation can be achieved through deeds and actions", there's no need for forgiveness. Other things that make Christianity different from religions is the fact that the Founder, Jesus Christ, resurrected from the dead. No other religion's founder died and rose again. Christianity offers assurance of a great eternal life. Eternal life doesn't mean you are immortal but that your soul will live on with God although your body may not. In some religions, they only promise a better next life or reincarnation. And what I said up there earlier about how Christianity isn't a religion and how we're not only Christians on Sundays, you should know that there are many out there who claim to be Christians but aren't. They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. I can tell you right now and guarantee it that there are some hypocrites out there that are real Christians. I'm not denying it, but that doesn't give you the right over-generalize the entire Christian population. In fact, I'll admit I'm a hypocrite when it comes to certain things too. But you have to understand that Jesus Christ didn't die for the perfect, the blameless, the sinless. He died for the lost, hypocrites, the liars, the murderers, the prostitute, the sinner.
    LiveForChrist
    Creationism is right though. You believe there was a Big Bang? Well you're right... there probably was a big bang when God created the heaveans and the earth. You're telling me you don't believe in intelligent design? Well if you don't believe in intelligent design... maybe there is nothing intelligent about your design. I hope you will come to realize that the chance that all that we know in the world from the small flagellum on certain cells to the stars in the sky didn't just happen. Someone had to design it... Just saying.
    iamtim1991
    theAccursed
    these are lyrics for Christians or open-minded individuals
    I find this funny for some reason...
    makutoid
    The Necrotizer wrote: I Can't believe someone reviewed one of these albums, hillsong is nothing but a large business exploiting the ignorance and insecurities of hundreds and thousands of people for financial gains, just look how many albums they pump out, what a joke.
    You're an idiot. So, a group of people who provide a means for a huge number of people to express their beliefs and to go through with what is an enormous part of the christian faith is "a joke"? I refer to my original comment, you're an idiot.
    PraiseHim3
    We are led by some that use the name of Christianity and fail to acknowledge the power. these are hypocrites. we are not to judge but: "Be ye not conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of our minds."
    krvolok
    LiveForChrist wrote: Nowhere in your statement did you prove that homosexuality is not wrong. All you did was state that some animals are into it. Nowhere in the word "homosexuality" is the word "human" implied. Sure in Latin it's spelled "homo sapien", but "homo" means the same and sexuality is self explanatory. If you are homosexual, it means you are attracted of the same sex. Animals can be homosexual, no one said they couldn't.
    Well actually homo(homo hominis) means man and homo sapiens means wise man or intelligent man.
    Well actually no,originally the cult following of Jesus was limited to the Jews and only the Jews.Then comes the fable of Paul or Saul and Peter which may even be true but after that it was spread by the sword.
    sg4ever
    This is true. It just bothers me that evangelical Christianity is lumped in with the Catholic church who carried out those things and left the Bible only written in latin so the uneducated common people wouldn't know the difference and just go along with what the pope said. At least if people claiming Christianity are lead by their noses by someone corrupt it's their fault for not being educated enough in their own religion which they are free to be now. There is a clear standard for Christianity and the only reason it varies so much is because people don't want to follow the directions (hahaha).
    sg4ever
    So why wouldn't the world hate people perceived like that? Oh well. I could care less. It's really entertaining (if a little sad) to see people run faster than a fat man after a bucket of chicken just to snuff out or combat Christianity. Seriously, I would break out the Bible and my notes on Theistic worldview vs. other worldviews debates and lectures. It really does no good though seeing as how most of you come to bellyache or debate in the first place. I will settle for a bag of popcorn and cold Dr. Pepper. Mmmmm...tasty. Oh yes, and you're welcome. You want fries with that? Who wants coffee? I've gone and stayed up much too late on garageband and this was too much to resist. Goodnight all. I would blow yall a kiss but I have late night breath.
    sg4ever
    LiveForChrist wrote: I forgot to add in that in Greek, which is where many of our prefixes come from, ALONG WITH LATIN, "homo" means "same" in Greek. So I still stand by my point. Krvolok, where are you getting all of this information about a "cult following Jesus". Nowhere does it say anything about a cult of Jesus. Now there may be cults claiming to be following Jesus, but they are not Christians. We are Christians, not a cult. I know that nowhere in the Bible does it even say or mention the word "Christian". A Christian is a "Christ-follower", hence the same prefix. Christian is a word we use in today's modern society to describe one who follows Christ and believes that God came down from Heaven to earth in the form of Jesus to save us from all of our sins. And this is a very important part of Christianity that all denominations can agree on: Jesus Christ was the Son of God who came to earth in 100% human form and 100% God form. Now don't get denominations confused with cults, sects, branches, or offshoots of Christianity such as Mormonism or Jehovah's Witnesses. By denomination, I mean Baptist, Pentecostal, Alliance, Mennonite, Presbyterian, etc. If someone claims to be Christian but denies that Jesus was and IS the Son of God, they truly are not Christians. And you have not read the Bible, because Jesus followers, not a Jesus cult, were not and are not limited to Jews. In the New Testament of the Bible, anyone can follow Jesus, whether Jew or Gentile. "Gentile" is just a term in the Bible used to describe anyone who is not a Jew. This is what it says in the New Testament. "For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one bodywhether Jews or Gentiles, slave or freeand we were all given the one Spirit to drink." - 1 Corinthians 12:13 If you still think that those who follow Jesus can only be Jews, I have to disagree again because if you are talking about the modern day Jews, which share the same beliefs as the Old Testament Jews, the Old Testament Jews never once encountered Jesus in their lifetime. They knew of the prophecy to come that there was going to be a Messiah that will come to deliver them from their sins, so they would no longer need to offer animal sacrifices to God for forgiveness, but they never met Jesus, because Jesus only came after their time in the New Testament. And by the way, Christianity is different from Judaism, if you were wondering. The word "fable" is used to describle a story that is fabricated and not true. The events that surrounded Saul/ Paul (Saul is the name given to him before he gave his life to God, Paul is his new name after he stops persecuting Christians and becomes a Jesus follower) and Peter are true, from what I believe. I'm not imposing any ideas on you, but this is just my beliefs. What you believe is up to you, although I encourage you to look deeper in the Bible and study it more closely. However, what you said about how after Paul and Peter's time that the Gospel was spread by the sword is wrong. Yes, the Crusades did happen, but they happened while the Catholic Church was in power. The timeline between the New Testament in which Paul and Peter's lifetimes occurred and the Crusades is a pretty significant gap. I'm not siding with the Crusades, in fact what they was wrong. Their motives were in the right place, but the way they carried it out was all wrong. I don't agree with their methods at all. Christians today don't forcefully impose the Gospel on anyone by the sword. Because honestly, it's a choice you make and it's a personal choice that no one can make you do. No one can FORCE you to be a Christian. It's a lifetime choice that you choose for yourself and stick to it. Whether you want the gift of eternal life is up to you. If you ever change your mind, God is always still there waiting for you, don't ever forget that.
    I would like to add that these Crusades were carried about Roman Catholics who did not follow the Bible. In fact, the Roman Catholic church concealed the Bible from common people for YEARS and kept the only few Bibles available only in Latin. The reason being because they didn't follow biblical standards and anyone who knew how to read at that point (not many common people) could have seen that if they compared the Roman Catholic church with the biblical standard of Christianity. So by the way, when people state that Christianity is simply a means of making money, they're statement is really only an accurate description of when the Catholic church (which called themselves Christian) swindled the common folk because the people were non the wiser to what should and should not have been (lack of education). Christianity almost completely assures that if you follow it correctly that most of the world will hate you and that you will live a modest middle class lifestyle. I mean, at best we are goody two shoes who believe in and follow some supreme being who is three entities in one. At worst we are intolerant self-righteous bigots who condemn everybody, and who are absolutely nuts, and steal your money
    sg4ever
    Oops. Look what I when and started. No one talks about the music. They talk about religion and organizations and science. Hahahahaha...okay. Honestly, Hillsong isn't that great by other bands standards but they provide a decent catalog of music for churches that want something more contemporary. Unfortunately, most people who attend church don't really even comprehend something technical or experimental. They'll just stare ahead with that "the lights are on but nobody is home" expression like you are an alien. I'm so tempted to do some space shuttle noises and aircraft noise with the Line6 DL4 at church one day and see what the music director does...
    theAccursed
    Hillsong (I didn't mention other Christian denominations, and actually said some denominations are more progressive than Hillsong) supports and funds politicians and campaigns that are against homosexuality/climate change and evolution; therefore, Hillsong are against homosexuality/climate change and evolution. This is a well-sourced article that covers some of it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsong_Ch... l_influence and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsong_Ch... But if you don't want to read it, here's a snippet: "Hillsong's stand on many topical issues in contemporary Christianity is in keeping with mainstream Pentecostalism, teaching that homosexuality is unnatural, opposing embryonic stem cell research and abortion on the basis that human life commences at conception.[15] Hillsong has also declared support for Creationism and Intelligent Design and believes this should be taught in schools.[16][17][18][19][20]"
    championguitar
    being against homosexuality, evolution, climate change and abortion doesn't make hillsong anything special. millions of people round the world believe the same thing and many churches do to. while the really big churches may not be against those things they don't represent all of christianity. I personally think that all those things are wrong fron a Bibical standpoint except climate change but thts a whole different story.
    makutoid
    To be honest with you, I don't know what your beliefs are and I'm not gonna be one of the idiots that tries to make you agree with me. But you do realise that making such a massive generalisation as that is probably one of the dumbest things you can do, right? Yes, a number of christians are against homosexuality, but that gives you no grounds to say that the whole organisation of hillsong, which is an international church by the way, share those beliefs. And also, I've never actually heard ANY message in church (mine is quite similar to hillsong in many ways) or from other churches which are against scientific beliefs or climate change, although I fail to see what the hell climate change has to do with anything... Personally I think any religious person who ignores science is as ignorant as anyone who believes science and ignores religion. If you pay any attention at all and open your mind a little bit, it's clear that the two obviously fit together.
    percar05
    John Mark McMillan, DemonHunter, Becoming the Archetype, Underoath, Thousand Foot Crutch, Grits, Third Day and even Thrice (80% of their new songs have Christian tones)
    SwordNemesis
    Almost all Christian worship music is the same. It's either completely Pop, or completely acoustic. I've heard my fair share of christian artists, and the only one who does anything somewhat good as far as music goes is IHOP, and Misty Edwards. Other then that no one else in the Christian industry is any good. Unless you count Switchfoot.
    EpiExplorer
    I bet whoever did yesterdays review as well did the entire discography or something...
    sg4ever
    This review and my comments are an embarrassment. What a punk kid with something to prove I was.
    saint_berzerker
    As a Christian, this stuff insults me. You don't have to sound like Hillsong to be a Christian band. It's horrid music. The whole contemporary Christian music scene is a shame to me. I've never been able to tolerate it. If you must limit yourself to "Christian music", then there are options out there...even extreme metal options. But this stuff SCREAMS of the modern "fakery" you'll find in most modern churches.
    MarkWakefield
    As a Christian myslef, I think the hillsong sound aint great, check out verra cruz and switchfoot if you want good christian music
    krvolok
    iamtim1991 wrote: Oh, God! The terrible thing that is Christians who don't like rock and metal. How dare they have an option for something else! What has the world come to?? AHHH!!!! Oh, and those arguing that this is "taking advantage" of people's emotions or feelings, or whatever. How is it any different from listening to metal to deal with some emotionally trying time? How? It's not.
    It's fairly different simply because there is no religion behind metal and there is a major religion behind this.This is just propagating a popular image of Jesus.
    The Necrotizer
    theAccursed
    The belief that following the teachings of Jesus (as written about in the Bible) will get you eternal life in a city above the clouds is one thing. Supporting an organisation that lobbies conservative political parties and tries to infringe on the personal lives of minorities (such as gays and lesbians) as well as attacking the scientific community (through objections to evolution and climate change - meaning that catholics are more progressive than Hillsong as they accept both!) isn't open-minded or a way to 'express their beliefs' that I'm comfortable with.
    theAccursed
    All I'm saying is that if you believe that the scientific method is the best way of finding the truth about the processes of the planet and universe, then buying a product from an organisation that doesn't (Hillsong in this case) is hypocritical. If you so believe that the earth was created around 6000 years ago by a supernatural event (meaning that not only evolution, but geology, astronomy and genetics as well as physics and chemistry are wrong), that homosexuality is unnatural (even though plenty of non-human animals are into it) and that what happens between 2 consenting adults is your business, plus that you believe priests, preachers, conservative politicians and the heads of polluting corporations over the most reputable scientific organisations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_... change) in regards to human-influenced climate change, then purchasing a product by Hillsong is the right thing to do for you.
    krvolok
    I wouldn't badmouth the Crusades since they stopped the Arabic conquest and they basically preserved Europe from foreign rule.