And Love Said No: Greatest Hits 1997-2004 review by HIM

• Released: Apr 6, 2004
HIM: And Love Said No: Greatest Hits 1997-2004

"And Love Said No" brings the sound that made HIM icons of goth/love metal. It capitulates their sound perfectly and makes one of the best Greatest Hits albums that I have heard in that it contains enough gems to create the feel that it isn't just an album to make money. The sound of HIM is identifiable from the very first notes of title track "And Love Said No". The album also marks the slight end to their sound original sound before the release of "Dark Light".

Villa Valo brings all of his trademarks in this show piece of his vocal range, his voice is recognizable to any HIM fan with his unique rasp and low haunting and whispering at times vocals. The lyrics present some of the very best representations of HIM, with the romantic enticement coating the poetic verses which makes it come across as sensitive in a hard shell and despite content of some emotional moments it doesn't come across as the dirty word of "emo".

It is one of the greatest HIM albums released past and present obviously it has an advantage due to it been a greatest hits, but it also stands up on its own with the added tracks of a cover of Neil Diamond's "Solitary Man" and "And Love Said No", along with rerecording of "Wicked Game", "Your Sweet 666" and "Its All Tears". It's hard to pick out a top 3 tracks as I find all of the tracks extremely enjoyable so it also makes it hard to pick out any let downs. Also the DVD extra with the live footage of HIM performing in Helsinki makes it worth the cost alone. I highly recommend picking it up and I do intend to buy it again after I broke the case.