And Love Said No: Greatest Hits 1997-2004 Review

Released: Apr 6, 2004
Label: BMG
Genre: Rock
Styles: Goth Rock
It's a more formal collection of hits from the Finnish rockers that is more complete than "Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights."
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.1
 9.6
 8.5
And Love Said No: Greatest Hits 1997-2004 Reviewed by: nato111, on june 24, 2005

Sound: The sound has some of there mellow and soft music like 'The Funeral Of Hearts' and 'Gone With The Sin' to some of there more fast rock songs like 'Buried Alive By Love' and 'Right Here In My Arms'. Most of the verses have a keyboard tune or soft guitar tune going in back ground which sound very good. The choruses have great distortion. Overall the sound exellent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are all about love and death. I think every song mentions these two words. The lyrics are very deep and thoughtful. I guess they are good. // 8

Overall Impression: Him is a very unique type of music. This CD is there greatest hits. I have listened to most of Him's songs and these are defintly there best ones all piled on to the one CD. I loved 'Buried Alive By Love', 'Right Here In My Arms' and 'Your Sweet 666'. But now I like the more mellow ones like 'In Joy And Sorrow', 'The Funeral Of Hearts' and 'The Sacrament'. This my best CD in my collections and love it to pieces. // 10

And Love Said No: Greatest Hits 1997-2004 Reviewed by: Masterbeefy, on december 08, 2006

Sound: At first I was a bit thrown off by the general sound of this album, considering my first HIM album was Dark Light, but it kinda grew on me. it's got some of HIM's slower songs (Gone with the Sin, Close To The Flame) and some of their faster, heavier (at times) songs (Buried Alive By Love, Wicked Game). The sound of the majority of the songs on this CD is very relaxing, and I find it really easy to listen to. When it comes to solos however, HIM fail to deliver, but guitar solos aren't for every band. // 10

Lyrics: Allot Of the lyrics are the same, just worded differently. HIM don't have very much variety in what they write about but they still manage to deliver the best lyrics you'll find. Ville Valo is also possibly the best singer I've ever heard as well. His voice changes so many times throughout the album that it's hard to keep track of. His talent is beyond anything you will ever hear. The emotion of the music is shared perfectly with the vocals. Overall, I say perfect lyrics! // 10

Overall Impression: Does this compare to other HIM albums? Well considering it has all the best songs from each album (excluding Dark Light) I would say it walks all over the others. it's a really easy album to listen to and it has a bit of variety (with pace, not lyrics). I think all of the songs on the album are great, but the sogns that really got me were Funeral Of Hearts, Gone With The Sin, Wicked Game, Poison Girl and among my favourite HIM songs, When Love And Death Embrace. When Love And Death Embrace sounds great at first, but then it hits the verse, which is a bit upbeat, but then it grows on you. amazing song, if you get this album (which you will) then make sure you give this song a listen. Totally worth it. I love everything about this album! It is perfect for people just getting into HIM cus it gives them a dose of all their stuff (again, excluding Dark Light). The only thing I would say this album needs is Vampire Heart, but that is only on Dark Light. And if someone stole this album? I would hunt them down to the ends of the earth and rip their eyes out! Even though I got it discounted at $10. If I lost it, I would tear my house apart looking for it. It is among my fave albums, I would coat it in gold if I could find where to get it done! // 10

And Love Said No: Greatest Hits 1997-2004 Reviewed by: 360ollie, on may 11, 2006

Sound: I like HIM a lot because they have a wide range of snogs that are all different in there own ways. If you listen to a lot of their songs you can hear a hint of black sabbath in them (which is good for me because I am a huge Sabbath fan). HIM are a heavy rock band (I wouldn't say they were metal). I don't no why they relised a greatest hits this early because they are still going and they have come up with many more good songs that are good enough to go on a greatest hits. But this is still a great cd. My favourite songs is Buried Alive By Love. // 10

Lyrics: Ville Valo has some great skills with the microphone unlike some rock stars he can actually sing. And his voice fits perfectly with the music which is very good. The lyrics are very good as well Ville Valo sings about a range of things from love songs to angry songs. He also sings fast and slow in others e.g. Funeral For Hearts is slow and Buried Alive By Love is fast. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other artists HIM are well at the top, because of their unique lead singer and their amazing guitar player (who plays some awesome riffs and solos). The best songs are And Love Said No, Buried Alive By Love, Funeral For Hearts and Right Here In My Arms. If this was lost or stolen I would definatley buy it again (even though I have most of the songs on my iPod). // 10

And Love Said No: Greatest Hits 1997-2004 Reviewed by: pepsilawson, on june 02, 2011

Sound: "And Love Said No" brings the sound that made HIM icons of goth/love metal. It capitulates their sound perfectly and makes one of the best Greatest Hits albums that I have heard in that it contains enough gems to create the feel that it isn't just an album to make money. The sound of HIM is identifiable from the very first notes of title track "And Love Said No". The album also marks the slight end to their sound original sound before the release of "Dark Light". // 9

Lyrics: Villa Valo brings all of his trademarks in this show piece of his vocal range, his voice is recognizable to any HIM fan with his unique rasp and low haunting and whispering at times vocals. The lyrics present some of the very best representations of HIM, with the romantic enticement coating the poetic verses which makes it come across as sensitive in a hard shell and despite content of some emotional moments it doesn't come across as the dirty word of "emo". // 9

Overall Impression: It is one of the greatest HIM albums released past and present obviously it has an advantage due to it been a greatest hits, but it also stands up on its own with the added tracks of a cover of Neil Diamond's "Solitary Man" and "And Love Said No", along with rerecording of "Wicked Game", "Your Sweet 666" and "Its All Tears". It's hard to pick out a top 3 tracks as I find all of the tracks extremely enjoyable so it also makes it hard to pick out any let downs. Also the DVD extra with the live footage of HIM performing in Helsinki makes it worth the cost alone. I highly recommend picking it up and I do intend to buy it again after I broke the case. // 9

Comments