Dark Light review by HIM

• Released: Sep 26, 2005
HIM: Dark Light

Ok for starters, people know HIM a band that supplies "Love Metal." In this case it is true with this album. Yet different in attempt to try something different, they pass with a A-. Being a HIM fan for many years I have to admit I did not like it at first hear. But it grew on me the second time through. The instrumentals were nice, the guitar provided by Lind were not as hardas they usally are but there are plenty catchy riffs in this album. I noticed a bigger use of the piano/keyboards by Burton, so I was happy to hear more from teh one guy that is usally unheard of from this band. This CD definalty reminds me of thier earlier release of "Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights."

Honesty their lyrics were nice. They seemed well thought out and more in-depth than the older CDs. But just as loveable than the rest. Only owning the CD since about 10:00 this morning for the US release date, I can tell you I have read and heard all that this CD has to offer. The lyrics really bring out the instrumentals, or is it the other way around. Either way it is great. Ville Valo seems like his vocals have improved. It seems not as deep as in the other albums.

It does compare to the other albums and it will be one of the sleeper hits from this band. Once somebody that has never heard this band hears it and likes it, it will definately open the doors for the other more harder rocking albums. I really loved "Rip Out The Wings Of A Butterfly," "Under The Rose," "Drunk On Shadows," and "Killing Loneliness." I love this album plain and simple. What do I hate, nothing. I just wish the guitar riffs were more harder and and have the whole "Love Metal" edge to it. I would buy it if it was lost or stolen, just because it rules and HIM rocks.

Maggotkiller
    Dark Light is a great album but it doesn't even touch Love Metal. I have just printed off the tabs to Rip out the wings of a butterfly and they look really easy HIM Rocks!!!!!